What's new

Another beetle tragedy

vewyphishy

Smoking fish
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was checking through my desktop humidor... just taking inventory and stuff. Well, I saw some strange discolorations on a few sticks. Further examinations showed the one thing I hoped it wasn't - beetles.

They ate through all of my lanceros - Cohiba, Vegueros #1, Monte Esp. #1, and the 98 Trini Fundadores. :crying: Must've been about 10 sticks. Argh. Trying to salvage a Cohiba and Trini. The rest look like swiss cheese. :argh:

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Oh man, that sucks. Sorry to hear about it. If there's a saving grace, it sounds like it was not your main humi. I've got mine all in one cooler which would be bad if I get beetles.

vewyphishy

Smoking fish
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
windowrx said:
Oh man, that sucks. Sorry to hear about it. If there's a saving grace, it sounds like it was not your main humi. I've got mine all in one cooler which would be bad if I get beetles.
Totally agreed. The desktop holds about 30 cigars in 4 compartments. I'm just glad those damn bugs didn't make it to the other sections. The main stash is unharmed, as they are in the Avallo. Haven't had any problems in there yet (knock on wood).

As for pics, I'll get some taken and posted. Everyone should partake in my pain. :grinFU:

vewyphishy

Smoking fish
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe one of the Trinidads and one of the Cohibas... This is what I get for "saving" my smokes. Ahh well, thats life.

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Any tips from you old pros out there on how to avoid this, if possible at all? This must be the worst thing possible to happen to our smokes.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
jcgoldner said:
Any tips from you old pros out there on how to avoid this, if possible at all? This must be the worst thing possible to happen to our smokes.
Try to keep the temps in your humidor below 70 degrees. There is a less chance of beetles hatching at that temperature and below. Basically, the only way to keep your humidor that cool is if you have a cooled humidor or a basement to put it in.

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Thanks for the tips guys.

Does anyone do anything special when they order boxes via the internet this time of year when most likely the cigars will travel at over 80 degrees for the whole trip? I would imagine that if there are eggs in the cigars they would hatch during the trip or shortly thereafter. Am I over thinking this one?

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Just be sure to inspect the cigars thoroughly before you put them in your humidor. I always let boxes I recieve cool off. They're usually pretty hot when I get them in the afternoon from riding in the truck all day long. Wouldn't want to put a hot box in the humidor.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO if you can't keep your humi below 70 degrees (preferrably lower) then you should be freezing.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
wasch_24 said:
Consistent RH and Temp...below 70 for both.
Doesn't always work though. I have mine at around 69 degrees and 62% RH and I still had a little outbreak. Luckily, it was in a sealed bag with only two cigars, so it didn't get to the rest of the stash. No holes in the plastic bag, but I'm still keeping an eye on them just in case.

I'm going to bag all of the boxes I plan on aging long term just in case something does happen to one of them.

Freezing kills beetles in the cigar, but can't eggs survive? I thought I heard that somewhere.

EDIT: freezing kills almost all the eggs, read the link below.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people quarantine their cigars and re-introduce at a later date. I say this doesn't work. How long do you wait? Until you get an outbreak? If the time from production to your humidor can be anywhere up to 2 years and still get an outbreak (it's happened) then it's never safe.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Unless you freeze 'em I would say it's never really safe. Keep your temps and humidity down around 65% and you've done about as much as you can. Keep an eye out and keep smoking. :thumbsup:

Moglman

Mountain Hound
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Dang bad news vewyphishy! I do try to freeze, not because of proven results, but it helps my peace of mind. I don't always worry about the NCs, but very much concentrate on CCs/Farm Rolled.