What's new

Another Partagas Lusitania

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Yeah I know. Lots of reviews for this one but I wanted to add my impressions to the thoughts here. This is a BIG cigar. As you know it is a Prominentes or Double corona measuring 7- 5/8 X 49. It has a very silky smooth light chocolate brown wrapper. The scent from the foot was earthy and hay like. I gave it a straight cut and the pre-draw was all sweet tobacco and earth.IMG_3391.jpg

Toasting and lighting reveal quite a lot of spice on the first few puffs. This spice was not at all brash or harsh but just seemed like it belong there. The first few puffs were leathery, some sweet notes, woody. There was also some kind of salty citrus flavor during the first third that went away during the latter part of the first third. The general saltiness remained. It was very evident pretty early on that this was going to be a very creamy, elegant smoke as all the flavors were so well integrated. Burn was good (only 1 very minor touch up was required during the entire smoke). Draw was on the firm side but very good with large volumes of smoke produced.

IMG_3392.jpg

Second third was more of the same with everything in perfect balance. Smoothly complex and delicious. The spice became very integrated with the other flavors. Very creamy with sweet notes playing off the saltiness. A bit of nuttiness also made it's present known. Toward the end of the second third the earthiness began to build up a bit with some coffee notes starting to appear. There was leather present as well. This is a complex cigar that is so well balanced that you really have to pay attention to pick up all the nuances.
IMG_3394.jpg
IMG_3396.jpg

The ash held well. It was that dark charcoal color that flaked around the edges. Moving into the final third the smoke remained creamy and so well balanced. Some spices started building up in the latter part of the last third and gave a wonderful tingling sensation to my tongue and lips. Coffee notes, earth and leather riding on that core of spices made for an incredible finish to this cigar. It was a great smoke to the nub.
IMG_3398.jpg

I still have 3 of these. I am going to set them aside and smoke 1 per year to see how it develops. In the meantime I have to get more of these to lay down. This is a special smoke. You need to give yourself at least 2 hours to savor and enjoy this beautiful smoke. It's all there.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
@mi000ke I have no idea really as it was part of a sampler that I had put together for me. It is either past the sick period or has not entered it yet. I have 3 more from this batch so I'll let you know over the next 5 or 6 months.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
A10ct box of these is next on my CC "Must Order" list. I've been hearing rumblings that '14's are smoking really, really well.
NOOB Q: what is the "sick period"
After rolling, cigars can enter a second stage of fermentation, resulting in the off-putting of ammonia, which is unpleasant.

EDIT: Depending on who's using the term, it can also just refer to cigars going through a period where they just taste a flat. Often cigars that have been stored at a high rH by the vendor and shipped across the world, pressurized and depressurized, and exposed to wildly fluctuating temperatures before landing on your doorstep just need a bit of downtime before smoking to perk up.

Alternately, some connoisseurs also can tell when a cigar is not at it's optimum flavor profile, and when a few years will help the cigar flavors mature. In those cases the cigar will still probably taste fine if smoked now.

Last edited:

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A10ct box of these is next on my CC "Must Order" list. I've been hearing rumblings that '14's are smoking really, really well.

After rolling, cigars can enter a second stage of fermentation, resulting in the off-putting of ammonia, which is unpleasant.

EDIT: Depending on who's using the term, it can also just refer to cigars going through a period where they just taste a flat. Often cigars that have been stored at a high rH by the vendor and shipped across the world, pressurized and depressurized, and exposed to wildly fluctuating temperatures before landing on your doorstep just need a bit of downtime before smoking to perk up.

Alternately, some connoisseurs also can tell when a cigar is not at it's optimum flavor profile, and when a few years will help the cigar flavors mature. In those cases the cigar will still probably taste fine if smoked now.
My first Lusi was about 8 years ago and that sucker ranks right up there with the Cohiba Espy IMO.....I bought a box of them and smoked the first one that day and loved it. Let the rest of them rest for another 3 months and it was even better and each 3 months of rest was just money in the bank. After a year it's just orgasmic w/o the workload and remember....this is not a short smoke....plan it out when you have about 3 hours to kill with about half a bottle of scotch or Drambuie....good times if you can stand up afterwards.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I still have 3 of these. I am going to set them aside and smoke 1 per year to see how it develops. In the meantime I have to get more of these to lay down. This is a special smoke. You need to give yourself at least 2 hours to savor and enjoy this beautiful smoke. It's all there.
It's been a year, what do you think of them now @Tennessee Dave ?

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
The only Churchill that surpasses the Lusitania is the Cohiba Esplendido. The Lusitania just keeps getting better and better. Purchased a box. Strongly suggest you do the same. One of Cuba's best!
Thanks for the info, I'm enjoying my first one. I'm thinking I'll have to find more...:happy:

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
The only Churchill that surpasses the Lusitania is the Cohiba Esplendido. The Lusitania just keeps getting better and better. Purchased a box. Strongly suggest you do the same. One of Cuba's best!
You've come a long way in your CC journey Dave!
I purchased a 50 ct cab of Lusi for my 30th bday in 2010. It's a Mar 09 code. My most expensive box ever purchased. I allow myself to smoke 2 a year.