What's new

Another pipe

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5" long slight outward cant, 2 1/4" high, 3/4" bowl 1 1/2" deep. I just can't seem to get that high shine on a pipe. I think my buffer is too fast. I'm using a high speed buffer with carnauba.
Criticize, beat me up, tell me what is wrong. Please be honest.View attachment 56767
View attachment 56768
View attachment 56769
View attachment 56770
For buffing I use a cheap buffing wheel from Harbor Freight attached to a drill that is clamped in my vice. I'm not sure what RPM the drill obtains but it's probably less than the high speed buffer and the solution is cheap.

Great looking and unique pipe you made. One thing you may try in the future is flatten the angle at the bottom front of the bowl. Then it could be a sitter that sits on an angle.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
One thing you may try in the future is flatten the angle at the bottom front of the bowl. Then it could be a sitter that sits on an angle.
I thought about doing that, but things were going so good I hated to change gears halfway through. It was one of those days that I needed a break from powder horns. Idle hands, ya know.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Another gorgeous pipe, Griz. Have you tried Danish Oil? I just picked some up. I just picked up a pipe on Flea Bay fr $2.50 and the plan is to strip it down to the wood, re-dye it, then put on 3 or 4 coats of Danish Oil (24 hours between coats) and then Carnuba wax with the buffing wheel on the drill.

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Nice Griz. Ur shine looks pretty good. Are u buffing with white diamond before waxing?

Alot of the master carvers are using shellac to get the shine that they get.

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Thanks guys,
Dave, I dont have white diamond, but I did shellac this one and still no shine, although, that new Boswell's that came yesterday didn't have much more shine than mine did, so.....
White diamond really brings a shine prior to waxing. But it does need to turn slow. I found out the hard way.

Also a flannel buff is also suppose to help bring a shine after a waxing but I still haven't got one yet.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
White diamond really brings a shine prior to waxing. But it does need to turn slow. I found out the hard way.

Also a flannel buff is also suppose to help bring a shine after a waxing but I still haven't got one yet.
I gonna have to break down and get one of those 3-pad buffers for my lathe. The one I have now is really high speed, it shakes the shop when it runs and with red/brown compound, it will eat a pipe stem in seconds. I mean HIGH speed.

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Woodcraft sells the Beal system. Wait I just saw one for sale somewhere on my pen forum I think. Plus woodcraft has a great slow speed grinder called Rikon.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
The one I was thinking of wasn't a Beal but it's sold anyway. But penn state industries has one a little cheaper than the beal.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LBUFFSYS.html
Thanks grrrr, I will be ordering soon. Now to break the news to the wife, or, have it shipped to work for better hiding. 35 years of happy marriage and som darn sneaky shipping habits.