What's new

Antique Dunhill Standing Cigar Ashtray - Restoration Questions

KGD

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I recently acquired this Alfred Dunhill Cast Iron Floorstand Ashtray, designed By Adrian Scarff Antique NY for Dunhill. The ebay seller is some antique shop that hasnt responded to additional questions about it's history thusf far. All I know is that its cast iron, and the cup appears to be brass.

I know I've seen past threads about restoration of old items, like this and figured I'd ask the collective for any insight/advice on restoration (or just leave alone). Thus far it seems like most methods for restoring cast iron work better with small items like pots and pans, rather than a table level standing ash tray.

Thanks in advance for any insight/advice.

Attachments

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Pretty sweet ashtray. I don't know about the cast iron as I have never tried restoring anything with cast iron, but can't beat brasso for the brass part of it.

KGD

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Thanks for the comments so far. I'll post photos in a few days of progress by thne. From other research, I've found the item dates from 1900s-1920s at the latest. The bowl and the cup are both bronze.
I used brasso last night on the cup and a bit on the underside of the bowl.. it did a bit to shine it, but by and large it needs the rust removed first. the cup the ashes drops into has been in vinegar/water the last couple of hours with intermitent scrubbing and looks beautiful. I'm sure once all the grime/rust is gone and it gets a touch of brasso it will be stunning. The rest of its too big to put in a bowl of vinegar/water so I may have to buy more and find a bigger container.

The one issue I've run into thus far is the screws holding the ash tray bowl to the top of the stand thus far as too rusty to even move... does anyone have experience in that? I tried cleaning it up a bit and using a screw driver, then a very slow movement on the electric screwdriver and nothing moved...

I'm going to stick to vinegar/water right now, and then move on to a more intensive rust remover if I cant get it off of the cast ironor parts of the brass.

Has anyone else bought any vintage/antique ash trays? I've found theres a few different designs in this collection, all with a bit more elaborate of a top than mine... but I think this one works well andmay try to pick up others at auction down the road.

squaresoft

It's dangerous to go alone, take this.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
what a cool piece dude looks awesome. def. post process pics when you get around to restoring it

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Thanks for the comments so far. I'll post photos in a few days of progress by thne. From other research, I've found the item dates from 1900s-1920s at the latest. The bowl and the cup are both bronze.
I used brasso last night on the cup and a bit on the underside of the bowl.. it did a bit to shine it, but by and large it needs the rust removed first. the cup the ashes drops into has been in vinegar/water the last couple of hours with intermitent scrubbing and looks beautiful. I'm sure once all the grime/rust is gone and it gets a touch of brasso it will be stunning. The rest of its too big to put in a bowl of vinegar/water so I may have to buy more and find a bigger container.

The one issue I've run into thus far is the screws holding the ash tray bowl to the top of the stand thus far as too rusty to even move... does anyone have experience in that? I tried cleaning it up a bit and using a screw driver, then a very slow movement on the electric screwdriver and nothing moved...

I'm going to stick to vinegar/water right now, and then move on to a more intensive rust remover if I cant get it off of the cast ironor parts of the brass.

Has anyone else bought any vintage/antique ash trays? I've found theres a few different designs in this collection, all with a bit more elaborate of a top than mine... but I think this one works well andmay try to pick up others at auction down the road.
For rusted screws, stay away from any type of power/electric screw drivers. Get a manual screw driver with a good fit.
Use some penetrating oli/wd40/liquid wrench. Allow a few minutes to penetrate. Gently tapping the screw driver with a hammer can often help.
When you get a little movement, apply more lubricant of choice, and work back and forth a little.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I've used PB Blaster with much success in removing rusty bolts in the garage. At best it only needs a few minutes. I have had to let some sit overnight too (some car parts are rusted together very thoroughly). Sometimes a little heat from a torch helps too.
I wonder if bead blasting would help restore/remove the rust from the iron?

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Yeah, Kev. Ape and Jim are right about the rusted screws. I've got some PB Blaster at my place that I can give you. Remind me next time you're here.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk