What's new

Antique Humidor Project is Finally Done

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I put up my intro post 2/11, I said I'd post pics of my antique humidor project when it was done. Yes, it's taken this long. :)

The chest is a cool old treasure-chest looking thing from the 1700's. Since my wife hates it, I thought I'd give her a reason to hate it more and turned it into my box storage humidor (and put it in the living room to be an ass). It is still seasoning right now, so I'm not sure if it was a success... I'll repost when I can make that call. In the meantime, here's how it turned out.

Closed with no changes

Open with no changes

Open with no changes II

Here the vapor barrier is in, and the side panels have been cut and placed in the base.

This is the same stage as the last pic with a new angle.

It's hard to see (especially since these are cell phone pictures), but the lid is sealed with a neoprene gasket. Look for the black neoprene under the Spanish Cedar on the lid.

This last pic is pretty good for showing how I am holding down the vapor barrier that's lining the inside. I stapled a black strip of industrial gasket material down on the vapor barrier. Previous efforts with silicon sealant did not work worth a damn.

Here's hoping it works! I'd love to get my boxes out of my buddy's humidor and over to the house.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it was a real beauty in its day. Even now, you can appreciate the colors in that artwork.

You might be interested in the gallery I have posted in my profile. It's mostly 18th century stuff, more recent than yours, but still nice, I think.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks like it was a real beauty in its day. Even now, you can appreciate the colors in that artwork.

You might be interested in the gallery I have posted in my profile. It's mostly 18th century stuff, more recent than yours, but still nice, I think.
First things first, it's holding steady at 66% which is right where I wanted it. I think it's time to get my boxes in there.

crillo... that's a cool gallery you have. I especially liked the Victorian Cigar Box at this link:
http://www.botl.org/community/forums/album.php?albumid=848&pictureid=7594

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
cool looing box. And hella old too it seems. Are you allowing for some trasfer of air?
There's an area on the front of the neoprene gasket that does not seal. I left it open for just the reason I suspect you're thinking of. The imperfect dimensions of the chest seemed to work out for me on this one.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
That's sweet. If I had something from the 1700's to put my cigars in my wife might actually let me keep 'em in the living room :laugh:.

Dan

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
That's a really cool looking old box. I like it! Well done on the conversion.