What's new

Antique shops for pipes?

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I always look... (my wife drags me into several every year)... but I've yet to find a really good deal on anything..

I see lots of estate pipes.. but most of what I see seems to be display quality only (broken stems, poor quality, etc..).. and they want more money for them than they are worth..

I was tempted to pick up a really cool, leather, 4 pipe stand that I saw in a shop outside of gatlinburg about 6 months ago.. mostly because it was unique.. I'd never seen anything like it before.. but they wanted $50 for it.. I thought it was worth MAYBE $25-$30... (I bought a WWII era, really nice wooden, six pipe display stand with tobacco box for $19 on fleabay instead)...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im curious, I am not familiar with shopping at these places but do you think they would have entertained an offer on that leather stand?

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I find that most antique shops will work with you on price if you ask..

but I dont think they would have come down 50% on that stand.. which is what I thought would have been fair..

I might have been able to walk out of there at a $40 purchase price..

The problem is the area where most of the antique shops are located around here is a tourist destination.. people go there for all the "mountain" crafts, etc.. and are willing to pay stupid prices because they are on vacation.. or dont know what they are looking at, etc..

Im betting if that stand were in another shop in some major metropolitan area elsewhere in the US.. that it would have been marked substantially cheaper..

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
I have yet to hit the flea markets and antique shops in the area, but it's on my list of things to do once things slow down a little. I have been picking up pipes on the eBay though and am already behind on getting what I've won fixed up. Best of luck to ya. My advice would be to have an idea what you're looking for before you go and what you should be paying.

Dan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You bring up an interesting point I wanted to ask about. What should I look for when buying a used pipe. I.E., things to check for damage, how should the inside of the bowl be, etc

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Look for cracks. Make sure the bowl is round and not all reamed out on one side. Stems that arnt chewed off.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
The biggest problems I find are with the stems... Look for cracks both where the stem enters the bowl and where it gets bitten..

I also find problems with stem fit... They'll be loose where people have detached them from the bowl and reinserted them over and over again.. And the friction fit is shot...

I've found some really nice pipes in antique shops over the years... There are definitely good ones out there...

I just haven't found one at a price I am willing to pay yet... (don't want to pay $65 for a beat up, used Peterson... When I can get the same thing new for $90..)

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
One weekend a month we drive around to these shops not really to buy but more for something to do. If it's one thing we have enough of around here it's antique and junk shops. Out of all the mess you'd think you would find a pipe or two but nothing worth a cats ass to be found.Tons of ashtrays and tobacco tins but not a pipe in site. Still you never know and the hunt makes going through all the other junk worth while.

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
One weekend a month we drive around to these shops not really to buy but more for something to do. If it's one thing we have enough of around here it's antique and junk shops. Out of all the mess you'd think you would find a pipe or two but nothing worth a cats ass to be found.Tons of ashtrays and tobacco tins but not a pipe in site. Still you never know and the hunt makes going through all the other junk worth while.
Have you ever been to the shops in Holly, MI? They all have pipes, one in "battle alley" has about 30 on hand (or more) most of the time. Some pretty nice one's! I have purchased three from them. If they sit there long enough they will come down on the price.

Last edited:

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Have you ever been tp the shops in Holly, MI? They all have pipes, one in "battle alley" has about 30 on hand (or more) most of the time. Some pretty nice one's! I have purchased three from them. If they sit there long enough they will come down on the price.
No, we have never been there. We usually head south or maybe over to Marshall down to Indiana sometimes. Thanks for the heads up though...maybe after this winter we'll have to make a road trip over there.