What's new

Any AR Builders here...I know you are, show your ugly face

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Thinking about building a custom AR, preferably a .300BLK or .308.

Just wondering what advice you guys might have, suggestions on parts, etc. I'm looking for quality but trying to keep the build cost down, hence why I don't want to buy a stock rifle from a current mfg. I want the quality parts I choose (or you guys choose).

Or...if any of you build them and want a project we could talk. :)

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Where's mwlabel? Haha he's the man. Set me up with some awesome stuff. Check out palmetto state armory and Bravo Company. Unfortunately, that's all I know! Good luck man and keep us posted!

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
300 blk. Is on the standard chassis and will be much cheaper than the 308. Plus the ability to shoot subsonic loads is fun. Stick to milspec parts and you will be ok. I personally like rainier and bcm for receivers.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I say go for broke and build using the best stuff. If there is no rush you can afford to assemble it little by little with awesome parts.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Ive only built 5.56 guns... but... the fundamentals remain the same...

first step IMO is to get a discount account set up at www.brownells.com if you are in any way, shape, or form associated with gunsmithing, law enforcement, or the military they will give you one.. they carry a variety of options on just about everything AR.. from stripped uppers and lowers.. to precision barrels... to competition triggers.. to regular mil spec parts.. you'll save several hundred dollars on your build..

for example.. an Aero Precision stripped upper is about $85 most places...

with a discount account at Brownells.. its $73... $12 isnt a whole lot of money... but if you can save $5-$15 on every single part you buy... it adds up quickly..

wanna step it up a bit.. a Daniel Defense finished upper is only $115 (as opposed to $135 elsewhere)...

step it up even further? a vltor finished upper is $179... as opposed to $200 most other places..

If you cant get an account set up with Brownells.. let me know what you want.. Ill get the pricing for you.. and if its something you want to pick up.. Ill make the purchase...

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Thanks for the info guys. I'll see about getting an account setup. I'm a vet so might work out.

I'll keep you all informed as I progress. It will be slow as my gun fund is short right now and I'm just designing it and will buying parts as I can.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I say go for broke and build using the best stuff. If there is no rush you can afford to assemble it little by little with awesome parts.
Yeah I'm doing that on a noveske lower every piece, no compromise since it's over time it doesn't SEEM expensive lol
I know what you mean. I'm working on a spr built on a seekins billet lower.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've assembled two. My first is a 16" middy that I assembled the lower, then popped a RRA middy upper onto. The second is my 3 gun "race" gun built around an 18" Nordic rifle gas barrel. I agree with the buy quality parts mantra. And keep your eyes open - deals do pop up. My 18" used a BCM "Blem" upper and I'll be dipped if I can find the blemish. Forend was by a company I will not advertise for, but was purchased on one of their "black rifle friday" sales the day after Thanksgiving, saving me 30%.

Buying quality takes some time, but in the long run do you really want to have your "dream" gun sporting a UTG pot metal rail?

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I was torn between a 6.8 SPC, .308, .300 for my build. The .308 and .300 ballistics are almost equivalent in terms of drop and a trajectory, so the ease of .300 parts could be defining factor. Also consider cost of shooting which may change my direction. Still in the planning phases.

I look toward doing some hog hunts and plan on using this and/or my .223 AR-15 I currently have. People have argued you need a bigger round than .223 for hogs...then I mention I've killed two with my bow and the discussion stops. :)

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I look toward doing some hog hunts and plan on using this and/or my .223 AR-15 I currently have. People have argued you need a bigger round than .223 for hogs...then I mention I've killed two with my bow and the discussion stops. :)
For hogs, I don't see any reason to go with .300 BLK.
Actually, I don't really ever see a reason to go with it. But, that's a different conversation.

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
In my opinion, 300blk is a waste if you're not shooting a suppressed sbr. Hogs don't care which of the rounds they get hit with either. I've built many 7.62 sized ARs, and many won't be too much more than your built 5.56.

Ammo and glass.... those are the most expensive parts of your setup. Figure out the game, range, and method you plan on using it for and the answers come naturally.

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Recently finished my first build. It was surprisingly easy.

Del-Ton lower
Palmetto State parts for the lower
Runner Runner Guns complete upper
Magpul for the grip and the stock.

I'll do another one as soon as I figure out what I want to upgrade.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As bad as people talk about DPMS (Panther Arms) I own one that I can shoot sub minute at over 300 m. Cost me 1100, but it's 5.56. The barrel is by far the most important part of the rifle for accuracy. A good barrel can run upwards of 500 dollars alone but most companies guarantee 1moa barrels Out of the box. Just have to do some research. Great website to get inexpensive, but reliable parts is cheaper than dirt . com I just finished building my first one and it's a dream. You're more than welcome to PM me and I'll help with whatever I can with my limited knowledge base.