What's new

Any audiophile around?

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Any brother who is a true audiophile around here? I need help picking up some headphones that I wish to buy.

I'll be using them to listen to music...my whole library is almost in FLAC format so I'm looking to enjoy it a bit better than now. I listen to every type of music, so ranges are important (i guess).

These are my options:

Sennheiser HD-280 PRO Headphones
Sony MDR7506 Professional
Sennheiser HD 449
Shure SRH440 Professional Studio
Audio Technica M50

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Not an audiophile but I have a feeling real audiophiles would look at headphones that are in a different class.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Not an audiophile myself, but when I asked my audiophile friends the same question: every single one told me to go with Sennheiser.

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
I have the Sennheiser HD280s....very nice set of cans. Not their highest end product, but really good. Big question is do you want circumaural (around the whole ear) or supra-aural (sits on the ear). The HD280s are very comfortable for the fact they are as big as they are...and sound great.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Don't know how you guys just say one brand. That's like saying buy a Chevy.

It depends what you're listening to, depends how much you want to spend. Sennheiser is a decent brand but there are others too.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
i have the m50s. don't know if he has an endorsement deal with at but george massenburg claims they're the only ones he uses in the studio.

to add: have used them for everything from simply listening to mixing and sound design. really balanced. love 'em.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Audio Technica M50 for sure.
I have the Audio Technica M50s and have been thoroughly impressed. The Sound Professionals had them on sale for $99 recently..They are $110 now. For the price, they cannot be beat imo.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The hardest thing is finding the right one that will play your music the way you want it to sound all while fitting comfortably. It would be great to actually test these kinds of things before buying.

Heath

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a recovering audiophile who has redirected his discretionary income from tubes and transistors to lanceros and petite coronas. Because we do not have kids I have never invested in a good set of home headphones, but i do own a number of Shure ear buds for my Ipod that have been decent. Check out Audio Advisor.com, I just got their sale ad yesterday and you can get some pretty good discounts on high-end stuff. They are also very good at providing unbiased recommendations that will best fit what you are looking for even if it is a line they don't carry.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I wish I could buy a pair of these...

http://www.gradolabs.com/page_headphones.php

Rene

Any brother who is a true audiophile around here? I need help picking up some headphones that I wish to buy.

I'll be using them to listen to music...my whole library is almost in FLAC format so I'm looking to enjoy it a bit better than now. I listen to every type of music, so ranges are important (i guess).

These are my options:

Sennheiser HD-280 PRO Headphones
Sony MDR7506 Professional
Sennheiser HD 449
Shure SRH440 Professional Studio
Audio Technica M50

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Thank you all for helping out!

Not an audiophile but I have a feeling real audiophiles would look at headphones that are in a different class.
True, i forgot to mention that my budget shouldn't be higher than $150.

just wanted to mention head-fi.org is a good place for reference.
I'm a recovering audiophile who has redirected his discretionary income from tubes and transistors to lanceros and petite coronas. Because we do not have kids I have never invested in a good set of home headphones, but i do own a number of Shure ear buds for my Ipod that have been decent. Check out Audio Advisor.com, I just got their sale ad yesterday and you can get some pretty good discounts on high-end stuff. They are also very good at providing unbiased recommendations that will best fit what you are looking for even if it is a line they don't carry.

Thanks for the website guys. I'll be buying it to listen to music from computer and other places. The genres of music that I listen to vary from time to time so I need something with a good range.

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
I am an audiophile, and an acoustical treatment company owner.

Because everyone's hearing is slightly different (but typically in the 20hz to 20khz range), it really is Best Practice to try them all if possible.

For instance, I own several higher end headphones, but for my particular hearing - I prefer the Sony MDV700's. If my ears are at all fatigued, I may instead reach for the Beyer Dynamic 880's. I have several other pairs that I use that cost much more than either of the aforementioned, but I don't prefer them for flac or 320kb mp3, etc listening.

If you have a chance to try several models, do so - then, buy online to save money or better yet, show the salesperson (at the retailer you trying the headphones out at) the same product online and ask if they'll match it. In some cases, they will - happily.

Cheers!

Joel

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I am an audiophile, and an acoustical treatment company owner.

Because everyone's hearing is slightly different (but typically in the 20hz to 20khz range), it really is Best Practice to try them all if possible.

For instance, I own several higher end headphones, but for my particular hearing - I prefer the Sony MDV700's. If my ears are at all fatigued, I may instead reach for the Beyer Dynamic 880's. I have several other pairs that I use that cost much more than either of the aforementioned, but I don't prefer them for flac or 320kb mp3, etc listening.

If you have a chance to try several models, do so - then, buy online to save money or better yet, show the salesperson (at the retailer you trying the headphones out at) the same product online and ask if they'll match it. In some cases, they will - happily.
Cheers!
Joel
Thanks a lot man. You recommend me going to Best Buy or other stores?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No offense, but you are going to be hard pressed to find an "audiophile quality" headphone for $150. Most top audiophile phones go for $500-$2,000 that does not necessarily make them better, but audiophiles seek out the best sound possible even thought the law of diminishing returns starts to appear at the higher price points.

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
Please forgive me if this seems a bit of a "rant", but as a matter of business I own several high-end, audiophile "grade" headphones that cost more than you've listed and for many of my clients, these pieces of kit aren't even close to what they need.

Unless your audio system includes the finest processing, tube centric, gold connection componentry, a $150 set of head phones (such as the MDV 700 series, etc) are better than well-suited for the person who is looking to enhance their flac listening experience. I believe the OP mentioned such.

I hope my comments aren't viewed as "curt"... (I don't intend for them to be) - if they are, I apologize.

Joel

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
No you raise a good point. Nice phones on a standard system won't change the fact that the system is still standard. Just like a nice amp with a bad set of cans isn't going to sound that nice...

It's a weakest link kinda deal.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2