What's new

Any Brands You Don't Like?

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
hey, no harm in posting personal preferences, right? as long as it is expressed as such.

but for dailies, I always keep a box of brick house corona larga and tat VI hermosos. that is the junk food in my humi's.

---
I am here: [ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.072336,-84.538662"]Google Maps[/ame]

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I never like writting off an entire brand because i might miss out on some good smokes. Even with the brands i do like there will be a couple of lines i don't care for, Not all tat's and DPG are homeruns. So that said think it would be more helpful to list why you don't care for a certain brand, could be just doesn't fit your flavor profile. With that i give you the following

LFD -- good flavor just too much of a powerhouse usually leaves me nic sick
Gurkha -- solid cigars but get a bad rap, plus priced 2x-3x over comparable sticks.
CAO -- like lot of thier stuff but have had bad luck with construction issues so ususally pass

Just remember these are everyones personal opinions and if somebody doesn't like your favorite brand doesn't make them an idiot or moron. As the saying goes,

"smoke what you like, try new things, everything else is just commentary."

usmcpurcell

Dutch
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I am a gurkha fan I love their Evil line they have, but Partagas doesn't do it for me couldn't enjoy it and another they arent a huge line but Onyx reserve how anyone could give that cigar a 94 rating is beyond me!

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I don't mind writing off a whole brand. Tatuaje for me. Rushed out cigars in wet varnish boxes. And there is the Ducati that was promised and never given away. It is just all the drama associated with this brand that makes it a bust for me. I used to like this brand , but just a big turn-off now.

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
I'll try anything at least once unless it's an infused cigar.

That said, it would be highly unlikely for me to try another Rocky Patel as I used to actually enjoy their edge stick back in '04ish when they had no band on them, but noticed that the blend changed for the worse. Actually, the brand went down hill quickly. The vintage line back in '03ish was actually pretty good. I know my pallet didn't change that much, as I used to have these in my humi and compared those older sticks to newer ones made... world of difference. I think the brand focused on quantity a bit too much and lost focus on how they became popular... decent sticks for the price. Since about 2006, after being disgusted with a number of lines that tried from RP, I've ignored the brand completely.

I've had similar experiences with Gurkha.

People are often shocked when they see me smoke a brand that I normally don't smoke at my favorite B&M. Like I said, I'll try anything at least once. You definitely find some gems following that philosophy.

I could now be wrong about RP or Gurkha. But they lost me as customer. If you went to a restaurant and were repeatedly let down by the quality of its food, would you ever go back? I'm at that point with those two brands.

I apologize in advance if the folks that enjoy these brands are upset with my response. I'm happy that the cigar you smoke brings you pleasure: you should smoke what you enjoy.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You guys will all think I am crazy but I do not like Padron at all. I have smoked them all and they are the only cigars I have set down and not finish. I am objective though and realize we all have different tastes. Otherwise we would all smoke the same boring cigar. Not dogging a solid cigar maker at all. They just are not for me. That means more for you.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
It's not really honest to write off an entire brand unless you've actually smoked everything they've produced. I see Nestor Miranda and 5 Vegas listed yet Nestor's Oscuros blended by Pepin are heralded as is the Pepin blended 5 Vegas Miami. Both Gurkha and Patel have numerous labels contracted out to other factories that produce quality cigars, cigars that many here enjoy. Painting something with such a broad stroke as to condemn all for the misgivings of a handful has historically proven the critic wrong at some point to some degree. Just my 2 cents.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Just remember these are everyones personal opinions and if somebody doesn't like your favorite brand doesn't make them an idiot or moron. As the saying goes,

"smoke what you like, try new things, everything else is just commentary."
I like this a lot. If you don't like something, fine, but no need to bash the crap out of something because chances are there are people here who like that, and that makes them feel like they smoke crap. No need for that at all. Different smokes for different folks.

I like some Gurkhas, Rocky, CAO, Oliva, and Torano, but I don't smoke them very much anymore. I still smoke:

Gurkha Nepalese Warrior
Gurkha Beast
Gurkha Beauty
RP Edge
RP OWR Maduro
RP Decade
RP Connecticut
CAO Vision (often)
CAO La Traviata (often)
CAO MX2
small CAOs (often in winter)
Torano Exodus
Torano Tribute
Oliva V (often)
Oliva Master Blend

Last edited:

thebayratt

Satori's Dad "NTA_Shawn"
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Graycliff (although they do make the La Palina, which is a good smoke, but high priced)
Gurkha, have about a 75% miss on them, so I pretty much gave them up.
Most Macanudos, the 1968 is ok, the Cru Royal is ok till the halfway point.
Most the Illusione I don't care for. The MK & HL Maddy are good, haven't had any of the new maduros yet. I think I like the smaller RG in Illusione.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I hate very few cigars but that said am quite picky about what I will buy. If a cigar is gifted to me I will try it but am pretty choosy about what I do buy. That said I do like tats but many of other peoples favourites I don't enjoy at all. I smoke a ton of Fuente's but again there are a lot that I don't like. No need to bash cigars here I know what I like and by no means do I expect anyone to agree with me. :)

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Other than the Opus and rosados I'm not a Fuente fan. Not a big fan of Ashton either, although the San Cristobal line is a favorite. Due to recent experience I avoid CAO as well. I'll join the chorus of boos for RP and Gurkha too.

But contrary to some I really enjoy Torano smokes for the most part and they are a good value.

nubchin

cigar dreamin 24h
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some say they hate infused cigars in any form , but how will the consumers know if they are definitely smoking an un-infused cigar? Just because the manufacturers claims so to be ?

Maybe we all are smoking infused in some way cigar as if super premuim blah blah ,,,, just sayin :devil:

Also the definition of infused cigars and flavored cigars are pretty blur , OpusX could be categorized as infused in wine barrels cigars . Also Acids as flavored cigars .

And again do those of you who hate Acids and love OpusX change opinions if you guys find out one day that OpusX is a flavored cigar ( not that I'm saying they are ) ?

My personal bottom line is I will hate dishonest brands and manufacturers and will try to stay far away from them even if they have a honest one stick in the whole brand.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Some say they hate infused cigars in any form , but how will the consumers know if they are definitely smoking an un-infused cigar? Just because the manufacturers claims so to be ?

Maybe we all are smoking infused in some way cigar as if super premuim blah blah ,,,, just sayin :devil:

Also the definition of infused cigars and flavored cigars are pretty blur , OpusX could be categorized as infused in wine barrels cigars . Also Acids as flavored cigars .

And again do those of you who hate Acids and love OpusX change opinions if you guys find out one day that OpusX is a flavored cigar ( not that I'm saying they are ) ?

My personal bottom line is I will hate dishonest brands and manufacturers and will try to stay far away from them even if they have a honest one stick in the whole brand.
Infused and flavored are very different things. I'm guessing most of us don't smoke flavored cigars ever, though many of us have an infused cigar now and then (I do when smoking with guys who are new to cigars ... the CI Legends Copper by Drew Estates is great). As far as the "how do you know" thing ... you know, lol. It would be really hard to hide infusion. I very seriously doubt that any manufacturers are peddling cigars as traditional when they are in fact infused, though I can't prove that since I don't smoke everything there is, of course. I've certainly never come across something mainstream and said "I think this is infused," and again I'm NOT biased against infusion, though I smoke them very rarely.

As to the Fuente, you said "Opus" but I think you meant Anejo -- those wrappers are aged in old empty Sherry casks (I think it's sherry). And I personally DO consider the Anejo to be the first infused cigars. Most guys will disagree, but I think that's based on a bias against infusion. The CBL wrappers on the Anejo pick up a lot of that sherry ... if that's not infusion, I don't know what is! (BTW, I love the Anejo!).

Last edited:

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
When I first Started smoking handmade cigars I would buy the Botique blends at my B&M. The years have passed and for the last two years I'd have two say it's much easier to make a list, I only smoke in my rotation.
Tats
Oliva V Special maduro
Pepin
Jaime Garcia
That's what I love....That simple
Will buy the occational Padron Anni's, Viaje's, OpusX's, & Liga Pravada's.

I will add that If Im nursing a bad cold a Rocky Patel Edge Light is what I'll fire up. For some reason it's a great go to cigar when I feel like crap but have that erge.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
When I first Started smoking handmade cigars I would buy the Botique blends at my B&M. The years have passed and for the last two years I'd have two say it's much easier to make a list, I only smoke in my rotation.
Tats
Oliva V Special maduro
Pepin
Jaime Garcia
That's what I love....That simple
Will buy the occational Padron Anni's, Viaje's, OpusX's, & Liga Pravada's.
You know Jim, by placing Pepin on your list you added like a gajillion more brands! :stretchgr