What's new

Any cabinet suggestions?

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
I've been looking to upgrade my storage situation for a while now and I now finally have the funds to do so. I was originally thinking about just adding another 100-150 CT but then I figured I should really look into storing the boxes that I have accumulated, it was just be easier. So after much searching and looking at coolidors (work great not visually pleasing) wineadors (visually appealing but some have had mixed situations with them) I have decided to just get a damn cabinet. Now I don't smoke a ton and after 4 years in the hobby I seriously doubt my buying will suddenly explode and that I'll need more space. So having said that, I will only be storing like 10-20 boxes and I'm thinking about going with the Aristocrat Mini or Mini Tall. One of the biggest factors in thinking about this was price as these start at around $450. I understand Aristocrat makes terrific stuff but I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with these that could provide some feedback? I'd like to go with the glass front and I'm assuming that since many cabinets are made with glass this shouldn't be a problem...is that in face correct or should I just stick to all wood? Any other suggestions for cabinets would be appreciated as well. Thanks in advance.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I have an Aristocrat M and it's a lot of storage. Craftsmanship along with fit & finish is superb, IMO. I doubt you'd need a cooled cabin since you're in Michigan. My one piece of advice is go one size up from the mini. Look at the regular sized end table. It's not a huge jump up in price and I think the size is suitable for your needs, especially if you age 15-20 boxes.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
From the pictures I've seen, Aristocrat is the way I would go for a cabinet. Their inside finishing is leaps and bounds above what I've seen Avallo offer.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
From the pictures I've seen, Aristocrat is the way I would go for a cabinet. Their inside finishing us leaps and bounds above what I've seen Avallo offer.
+1

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2 because, you know, I love Tapatalk 2.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Neither cabinet is REAL WOOD... veneer over MDF
Well at the price range I'm in (5-700) options are somewhat limited. Because of this sacrifices must be made and one of those sacrifices will be a cabinet made of hardwood. Would I love to have all hardwood? Sure, who wouldn't? But, the simple fact is that I can't come close to affording (or justifying) the roughly 3 G's that it would cost to have an heirloom quality piece made from your shop in the size that I want, Arlin. Thats why one of the things I mentioned in my original post was price. I understand that you get what you pay for but aristocrat cabinets do have a reputation of being quality. Having said that I'd like to hear about people's personal experiences with these before I make a purchase based on repuation alone.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
If I had $700, I'd personally spend $300 setting up a Wineador and put $400 towards filling it up!

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
If I had $700, I'd personally spend $300 setting up a Wineador and put $400 towards filling it up!
That's not possible. There are no used wine coolers in the area to meet that price point. I'm out $225 on a newair wine cooler and like another 200 on shelves + shipping. And thats as bare bones as I can get in the Detroit area. At that point I'd rather just spend a little extra and get something thats furniture quality.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
That's not possible. There are no used wine coolers in the area to meet that price point. I'm out $225 on a newair wine cooler and like another 200 on shelves + shipping. And thats as bare bones as I can get in the Detroit area. At that point I'd rather just spend a little extra and get something thats furniture quality.
Craigslist brother! I just went on CL and put in Detroit and about 50 wine coolers popped up most for around $100. Check this one out.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/hsh/3720842338.html

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
If I were you, I'd save up the extra few hundred and go with the Aristocrat end table. I've had mine for over 15 years with the only maintenance being changing the filter twice a year and water about once a month-6 weeks(depends on how humidity is where you are). The alarm sounds so you don't have to keep checking. No need to go solid wood and in fact most times when solid wood is used, there are warpage issues. I've had many friends from back in the day who had these "heirloom quality" humidors made from solid wood and all of them had issues with warping, joints coming uneven etc and the builders either weren't around any more or were very difficult to deal with.

I've had no issues and the door seal is as good as when I got it. Bob does amazing work and his customer service is second to none. Give him a call and you can discuss your needs/what he can do for you. I talked to him a couple of months ago when I was ordering filters and we chatted for over 20 min just about life in general. And I can personally state that his designs actually work (15years and still like it was when I got it). G1

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
If I were you, I'd save up the extra few hundred and go with the Aristocrat end table. I've had mine for over 15 years with the only maintenance being changing the filter twice a year and water about once a month-6 weeks(depends on how humidity is where you are). The alarm sounds so you don't have to keep checking. No need to go solid wood and in fact most times when solid wood is used, there are warpage issues. I've had many friends from back in the day who had these "heirloom quality" humidors made from solid wood and all of them had issues with warping, joints coming uneven etc and the builders either weren't around any more or were very difficult to deal with.

I've had no issues and the door seal is as good as when I got it. Bob does amazing work and his customer service is second to none. Give him a call and you can discuss your needs/what he can do for you. I talked to him a couple of months ago when I was ordering filters and we chatted for over 20 min just about life in general. And I can personally state that his designs actually work (15years and still like it was when I got it). G1
Well thats about as glowing a review as you could possibly ask for. Just what I wanted to hear before I bought one. I am considering going with an end table now but haven't made up my mind. The set and forget is certainly a nice feature, and if I got a Mini tall with set and forget its 8 hundy and I might as well just spend the extra money at that point. But I'll see like I said I want to keep the price low.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Neither cabinet is REAL WOOD... veneer over MDF
Mr. Liss,
Please explain the virtues of solid wood vs mdf. Does the choice of one over the other lead to better long term storage? Why? What products do you offer that provides a solution? At what cost? Please expand so we can make informed decisions. Thanks!