What's new

Any coffee bean roasters here?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm fairly new to the hobby...errr... addiction of roasting my own beans, but I have been doing it for about a year. I have 4 popcorn poppers, and an I-ROAST.

I'm still a novice, but I am developing a taste for <read addicted to> fresh roasted, fresh ground beans.

And.... I got a Stainless steel Bodum press :) from :smt111 .

<hmmm I'm thinking fresh roasted bean contest here...
> aww heck, that's too much work.

Giveaway sounds better. :twisted:

Who wants some fresh roasted coffee beans?:smt072

I'll do this twice.

The first two "I'll take some". posters get a sample, if you'll give me some feedback. (is it good, bad, over-roasted, under roasted, better than what you're presently drinking, ""what the hell is this stuff?''' "You don't know what the hell you're doing", )......I don't care, as long as it's constructive.

Constructive critisism and reflexive opinions are two of the best teachers.

If I can learn something here, I'll be drinking better coffee. :smt106

Samples, anyone?

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I'm on the verge of home roasting. I've been grinding beans fresh for each pot for a number of years now. I've worked up from grocery store beans throught the whole starbucks and other vendors beans and am currently using Killer Beans. I've started to look into home roasting but haven't made th leap yet.
I got some home roast in a sampler from Girardian awhile back and they were the most awesome beans I've ever had.
I would accept your offer but I'm afraid I couldn't give you any advice on the roast.

Ironman

Master Baby Maker-Feb BoM
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I would love a Sample if theres one available!!! I tried Newt's coffee, it was awesome I got some in Chipslaves PIF, my wife and I enjoy a good cup a coffee!!

Ironman

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Kingston,

Windowrx,

Ironman,

Send me your addys and I'll get some out to you all. It may be a few days, It's gonna get real cold here in the next few days, and I gotta fire up the wood stove in the shop, to get the temp up for roasting. Probably this weekend, So I can send them out next week. They'll arrive fresh that way.

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Rat,
I'm a home roaster. Been doing it for about 8 months. I have a FreshRoast8, Capresso burr grinder, Capressor coffee/cappacino maker and a boduom French press. I order most of my beans from Coffee Bean Corral and Pele Plantations.
Nice offer to send those folks some beans. They'll love 'em I'm sure.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Stogies, here's another site I found.

www.u-roast-em.com

I ordered 25 pounds of these...

http://www.kickstartcart.com/app/netcart.asp?merchantid=55143&productID=1909194

before Christmas, (the price is up slightly,) but they were delivered for just over $2.00 lb.:)

They claim the beans are slightly smaller, but they're as large as the ones I buy from the local roasterie that cost $6.40 lb. + 6%tax.:smt022

And they're GOOOOD! May be something you want to check out.....

I'm a happy roaster.

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Rat, thanks, the pricing looks pretty good. You say you're satisfied with the quality they have? I just got 42 lbs. in about a week ago so it may be a while before I order again.

What's your favorite beans?

My regulars are, from CBC
Rawanda Masaka
Kenya AA Tegu
Bolivian Organic
Kona da 'Kine Estate

and from Pele Plantations the
Pearlman Estate Kona. To me that's what a Kona should taste like. It's kind of pricy though.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Stogies, right now I'm just sticking to the Columbian. I bought a lot of it for Christmas presents, and I still have a lot of it . Money is a little short right now, so I'm not buying coffee or cigars, until I run out of coffee, anyway.

I like the Guatemalen beans, for a lighter flavor, and I've had some from Tanzania, but didn't care for it much.

I still have a lot to learn about coffee, and their different subtleties and profiles.

I got the stainless Bodum from Santa, and boy, does that thing make some good coffee.

My drip maker is now retired.......

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
On beans: Have you tried Turquino?

On coffee makers: I have a couple of the Bodum french presses and agree that they make the best cup of coffee. However, I do find them kind of a pain to clean and am often pressed for time so they only get used on weekends. During the week I use my drip coffee maker with a cone type gold filter (no paper) and spring water which makes a pretty good cup.

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
I tried the Torquino once. I got some in a green bean and cigar box pass on another site. I roasted it into second crack and let it degas for 3 days. It made a great cup, kind of strong which is the correct way for this bean, or so I'm told.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've been roasting for a few months and it's great. I have a few hot air popcorn makers from local thrift stores I got for $4 each. I picked up a Bodum press and also yesterday got a Braun Burr mill there for $2 each. I also got a Delonghi Espresso maker from Amazon for Christmas that was $26 shipped. So I'm kind of into this hobby on the cheap. I also since got a Bodum SS 12oz press and a 24oz one as a gift. I rarely use my drip machine anymore.

I had to make a little heat shroud for my roaster in cold weather to recirculate the heat so I can get to second crack but it works fine. I have a weekend ritual where I go out to the garage to roast some beans and take a cigar along. Hey you need something to do while roasting. The smell from fresh roast is awesome and I have gotten turned on to so many great coffees from my BOTL friends.

My favorites are the:
Nicaraguan Laguna Verde Margogype
Rwanda Masaka Bourbon
Kenya AA Tegu
Bolivian Organic
Indian Mysore Nuggets
Sulawesi Toraja
Blending Moka Java

If you like coffee try roasting and you'll love coffee.

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Bum, it looks like you and I like the same flavor profiles. I've not heard of the blending Moka Java, the rest I have in stock. I like having the mysore nuggets around just so I can say it LOL (I know, I know, it's pronounced mee-sore) I feel like a high school kid when I mention them.
Where do you usually buy from?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Bum Fudge, just how did you make your heat shroud? I have four poppers, and an I-roast. The I-roast works great, and two of my poppers are quite hot, but 2 of them won't get to full city if the ambient temp. is below 55 degrees.

My concern is that they will get TOO hot, and shut off before the roast is complete.

But it sure would be nice if I could use them in colder temps. Care to share your idea? pleasepleaseplease?[-o<

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
RiverRat said:
Bum Fudge, just how did you make your heat shroud? I have four poppers, and an I-roast. The I-roast works great, and two of my poppers are quite hot, but 2 of them won't get to full city if the ambient temp. is below 55 degrees.

My concern is that they will get TOO hot, and shut off before the roast is complete.

But it sure would be nice if I could use them in colder temps. Care to share your idea? pleasepleaseplease?[-o<
Well I am making a better version for mine and my friend but it's just a little nicer version of what I use. You need some metal window screen as tall as the white body of the popper and big enough to fit around it. Then you need a slightly bigger diameter and 2 to 3 inch taller piece of thin sheet metal. I used a piece of white aluminum siding stock.

Now I duct taped the window screen around the body of the popper just to keep the chaff from getting sucked into the air intakes. I then duct tape the aluminum siding in a circle and drop it over the popper. Keep the end near the popper chute pulled away from the popper so some of the hot air recirculates back around the popper and preheats the air. Proabably will shorten the life of the popper.

All I'm doing to make it fancier is the put a 1/2 90 degree bend on the ends of the siding where they meet by the power cord and silicon the screen sandwiched between the siding and a piece of self adhesive magnet tape. I didn't check yet if I can use magnet tape on both sides or need a small strip of sheet metal. It seems that may be better than using velcro for a closure.

Right now it's just bent around the back and works fine. I'm using a Proctor Silex Popcorn pumper and I don't know if it has a thermostat but it never shut off. It works better than my Poppery I or II.

Let me know if that makes sense or I need pictures...

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
stogies&hoagies said:
Bum, it looks like you and I like the same flavor profiles. I've not heard of the blending Moka Java, the rest I have in stock. I like having the mysore nuggets around just so I can say it LOL (I know, I know, it's pronounced mee-sore) I feel like a high school kid when I mention them.
Where do you usually buy from?
Didn't Sat live do a takeoff on Miso soup... Miso horny?

I have bought beans mostly from:
http://www.coffeebeancorral.com/

I got some from here too:
http://baldmountaincoffee.com/

You can't go wrong here:
http://www.sweetmarias.com/

Funny this was posted as a friend just sent it to me the other day
www.u-roast-em.com

Let me know how their beans are. They have a Moka Java blend.

Moka Java is one of the classic coffee blends. I'm not sure what percentage of each is in the blend I bought locally.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It makes sense. I may try something like that. I cut the plastic tops out of my poppers, so a kerosene lamp chimney will fit the top of the popper. This keeps the beans from flying out. But some hot air escapes out the "spout", so it should work. I'll make something that should help. Thanks for the info. I'll let you know how it turns out...

I believe all poppers have the thermostat override. If they get too hot, they shut off. It's a safety feature. I by-passed one on a popper that wouldn't go to full citywithout shutting off.:mad: I finally burned it up.