What's new

Any electricians here?

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just started as an apprentice two weeks ago. This is the most fun I've had in a long time at work.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I'm not an electrician but I have played with electricity plenty. I studied electronics engineering for a couple years before dropping out of college like an idiot.

I still get to toy around with it every once in a while with my job, but I am no journeyman electrician.

Have fun with it and most of all, be safe with it!!!

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I've been an electrician for 20+ yrs, owned my own business for over 10 and still love my job. Just remember 120 makes you feel funny, 277 will send you to heaven.

Good luck.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I was a nuke electrician in the navy. Spent a little time as a maintenance electrician. About 15 years as a service tech doing electro mechanical work. I have one thing I firmly believe. You have professional electricians and hacks. If you see someone testing something live with there bare fingers, he's a hack. Professionals use the right tools and work safe. 115VAC does kill. Getting shocked is not a right of passage, it is a sign of carelessness.

Good luck and be safe!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been shocked so badly I had to spend some time in a hospital with an irregular heartbeat.

I hate electricity.

:angerhead

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I've been an electrician for 20+ yrs, owned my own business for over 10 and still love my job. Just remember 120 makes you feel funny, 277 will send you to heaven.

Good luck.
:nodlaugh: yeah, 120'll sting ya a bit :eyepoke: 277'll wake ya right up :stickbeat but its the 480 that ya really gotta watch out for :pitchfork - well at my work at least.

Gummi Bear

Righteously Indignant
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Congratulations.

Report back this winter, when it's cold and raining, and you're in a ductbank. If you're still having fun, then you've definitely found the right job for you.

I started out digging ditches, and threading GRC. I studied hard and finished at the top of my class in apprenticeship school, and busted ass on the job. I started estimating a few years ago (8 already), and have run jobs, done service work, and done a lot of the bend pipe pull wire.

One more thing, to add to cf2112's advice:

When I was a second year apprentice, I was doing some service at a shop where the lights couldn't be turned off while we changed ballasts. I got tangled up, and fell off of a 8' ladder. When I came to a few minutes later, I spit all my fillings out into my hand. 277 will make you hurt.

Pay attention, and work everything like it's hot. Wear your hardhat and safety glasses at all times, keep good boots, and pay very close attention to your surroundings, this will keep you safe on the jobsite for years to come.

Congratulations again.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny, just about every electrician you find on a jobsite will have a set of cutters that has a little burn/weld spot on the jaws......

:)

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
One more thing, to add to cf2112's advice:

When I was a second year apprentice, I was doing some service at a shop where the lights couldn't be turned off while we changed ballasts. I got tangled up, and fell off of a 8' ladder. When I came to a few minutes later, I spit all my fillings out into my hand. 277 will make you hurt.

Pay attention, and work everything like it's hot. Wear your hardhat and safety glasses at all times, keep good boots, and pay very close attention to your surroundings, this will keep you safe on the jobsite for years to come.

Congratulations again.
Gummi, I did a simaliar thing in a hospital. I got hung on a 277v nuetral standing on top of an 8' ladder (my journeyman told me it was off:angerFU: ) last time I trusted anybody. I check everything and still treat it like it's hot:yes:

Have fun and be safe:smokingbo

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I am a electrician too. I have been doing it for almost ten years.
Great money, great trade women think your smart cause you mess with electricity. Women are so stupid........
Enjoy your time as an app. Team up with a old timer whenever you can, they have the best stories and they know all they tricks.