What's new

Any experience with leafonly.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice thread- I found them online and did a search for forums discussing LEAFONLY.

Dpriceinator- is your knot finish just a scrap wrapped around the wrapper and glued there? Nice and clean. Great looking cigar! What wrappers?

I'm looking for more info on LEAFONLY, as I'm about to make a purchase.

Great photo tutorials guys!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any more info?

Any other Leaf suppliers out there?

I'm also trying to find new or used cigar molds.

Thanks!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just came back to this thread after a while away!

I've got some time to get back in the rolling game- anything new? Molds? Suppliers?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hello all! first of all, thanks to everyone for your interest and kind words.

I smoked a couple of these weeks after rolling and to be quite frank, they were awful. Most notably, the flavor. To my surprise, they burn and draw just fine. I must have done a decent enough job of rolling them that they are smokable, however the flavor was down right wrong. Either the leaf is just not high enough quality (likely) or it was extremely young and needed aging. The other major problem is that none of the leaf I had was wrapper quality. Most of these are ugly little suckers. Tons of huge veins, very uneven, the surface of the leaf is rough and ugly.

With all that in mind, I'm still extremely satisfied with the results. I learned a lot! I can check "Make your own cigars" off my list of things I want to do in my lifetime. I Also now have an even deeper appreciation for what goes into making premium cigars. To think that you can grow some tobacco or buy some leaf, prep it, sort it, blend it, roll it all on your own with knowledge gained from the internet and have a product that will remotely resemble that produced by people who dedicate their entire life (and often families who dedicate generations of lives) to an art - Well, it's naive. I mean - There are people who will make an entire career out of sorting tobacco leaf...!

I think Perhaps I'll revisit one of my home made's tonight and post up some pics/results.

It looks like leaf only had added a lot more variety of leaf - Maybe this is worth trying again with some newer leaf varieties...

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Like them a lot,Rich is a great guy,and the leaf they sell is nice.You can get 1/4 lbs to start,glue,and so on.I have ordered twice,probably finished 50 sticks,and have plenty of leaf left............. Be sure to get some broadleaf maduro,it is amazing stuff.......

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NACHO-
50 sticks and leaf left? How many pounds have you ordered and what size cigars have you been rolling?

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Hello all! first of all, thanks to everyone for your interest and kind words.

I smoked a couple of these weeks after rolling and to be quite frank, they were awful. Most notably, the flavor. To my surprise, they burn and draw just fine. I must have done a decent enough job of rolling them that they are smokable, however the flavor was down right wrong. Either the leaf is just not high enough quality (likely) or it was extremely young and needed aging. The other major problem is that none of the leaf I had was wrapper quality. Most of these are ugly little suckers. Tons of huge veins, very uneven, the surface of the leaf is rough and ugly.

With all that in mind, I'm still extremely satisfied with the results. I learned a lot! I can check "Make your own cigars" off my list of things I want to do in my lifetime. I Also now have an even deeper appreciation for what goes into making premium cigars. To think that you can grow some tobacco or buy some leaf, prep it, sort it, blend it, roll it all on your own with knowledge gained from the internet and have a product that will remotely resemble that produced by people who dedicate their entire life (and often families who dedicate generations of lives) to an art - Well, it's naive. I mean - There are people who will make an entire career out of sorting tobacco leaf...!

I think Perhaps I'll revisit one of my home made's tonight and post up some pics/results.

It looks like leaf only had added a lot more variety of leaf - Maybe this is worth trying again with some newer leaf varieties...
I wouldn't write yourself off too quickly. If you had access to the tobaccos that these guys have available to them, the outcome most likely would have been completely different. I'm sure it's an art but I think having access to the right tobaccos is key.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all good. Lots of things to try.

I'm thinking it has a lot to do with aging. Too many smoke their home rolls way too soon.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I purchased from them twice and was very satisfied. The first time was to try rolling. It was great fun. The second time was to get some good wrapper leaf for the tobacco I had grown. If you buy what they recommend as high quality wrapper it is pretty good. You can still only use only about 40% of it as wrapper and the rest can be used for binder or filler.

Aging id critical. If you want to remove the harshness of the tobacco then you need to store it for a while. I found my tobacco, both home grown and purchased, was much better after 3 years.

Bruce.

Status
Not open for further replies.