What's new

Any hikers/backpackers on the forum

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Just curious, hiking and backpacking has been my go to vacation for over 40 years and just curious if anyone else has the same passion.

Trying to decide between Point Reys National Seashore in California and Glacier National Park in Montana for this year's trip. Any of you spent time on the trails in these two parks?

Prine

Nerf herder
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
As a family we love to hike and get into the wilderness. The little kids hinder really his far we can go anymore, but I’m sure as they get older this will improve.
Haven’t had the pleasure to visit either location, but I hope you have a blast in your trip

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Taking young people into the woods is a great experience. They will remember it their entire lives.
IN 2016 we made a 5 day trip to RMNP during the Elk rut. If I drive through Denver on my way to Glacier this year I'll probably spend another night or two there.

Prine

Nerf herder
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
RMNP is a great area. We find ourselves venturing closer to home here now. We have really enjoyed the trails at Arches National Park, plus living in the mountains we have a lot of little trails around to explore.

BigSkySmoke

Lanceros, Cowgirls and Burritos
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Well I can only really comment on Glacier NP. We get a pass every year and still don't get to fully use the park as much as we want. Tons of hiking and all different degrees of difficulty. On of my favs is the trail of cedars to Avalanche lake. Great day hike, about a 10 minute drive from West entrance. Lake McDonald lodge is a blast to hang out and have lunch at. E. Glacier lodge is a absolute must see, along with Lake Mary Ronan. Going to the sun road you could spends days doing the hikes that they have at all the parking areas. And the views are amazing.

The bad part...there is a fine line in the season for being able to enjoy some if not all of the park. The Going to the sun road is closed due to snow until July sometimes. Then there's a month or so of wild fires and the smoke makes it unbearable in the park. They will not put out the majority of fires in the park. July/August has been when we have been able to enjoy the park the most.
Easy day drives from the W. Entrance would be polebridge, flathead lake, eureka, Fort Missoula is awesome.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't been to Glacier yet but if you end up at Point Reyes, stop by The Marshall Store for some oysters.

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
We like to hike and backpack/hammock camp, but haven't went anywhere notable. Usually just one of the parks/forests around the house here.. Can't wait till hunting season is over so I can get back out there!

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Will be hiking the Inca Trail between Cusco and Machu Picchu in Peru in June..

Gotta get my ass in a little better shape between now and then.. The IT isnt particularly difficult.. but its at fairly high elevation, and I'll be dealing with some jet lag, etc I am sure.. really looking forward to it though.. its been on the wifes bucket list for years, and I think it will be really cool as well..

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Mike, Clark Creek is out of your way but it's a nice there and back or loop along a series of small waterfalls, I've also done some hiking along Black Creek.

Bigskysmoke looks like you're the person to talk to about Glacier, I drove Going to the Sun Road years ago on my way to Canada and it's phenomenal. I can only imagine the hiking along the road.

Arjennrudd When I visit the West Coast I'm normally looking for fresh salmon (get lots of oysters down here) but I'll definitely keep the Marshal store in mind. Thanks for the tip.

Prine, Been to Arches several times, fly into either Vegas or Salt Lake City and make that big loop of the parks in the area. 2 years ago when leaving RMNP we drove west along the Colorado river when the Aspens where changing color. Road was pretty rough but the scenery was worth it.

MDwest I can only imagine hiking in South America, I'm envious. I can relate to the elevation change issues. Always takes a couple of days to catch my breath when we get in the mountains. Other problem we have is going from high humidity to very dry. Lots of nose bleeds. Good luck on the exercise, I'm walking 6 miles a day right now but it's all flat and I realize it's just the beginning.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I spend a fair amount of time each year hiking in the North Georgia mountains however I've never hiked out west. I mostly do day hikes <10 miles.

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Mike, Clark Creek is out of your way but it's a nice there and back or loop along a series of small waterfalls, I've also done some hiking along Black Creek.
Both are already on the list! Lol.. There's actually a surprising number of sites within a hundred miles of here. I think Tate's Hell, in NW Florida is our next trip. Although going with a toddler may be out of the question! Lol

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
My wife and I have done the occasional “hike” to nearby waterfalls but this spring we plan on doing and actual backpacking/hike/camping trip in upstate NY so I need to start scouting locations. Wanting to do something near a river so I can get in some fly fishing

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Will be hiking the Inca Trail between Cusco and Machu Picchu in Peru in June..

Gotta get my ass in a little better shape between now and then.. The IT isnt particularly difficult.. but its at fairly high elevation, and I'll be dealing with some jet lag, etc I am sure.. really looking forward to it though.. its been on the wifes bucket list for years, and I think it will be really cool as well..
Dont underestimate that trail. Its tough going and VERY steep in places. Plus the elevation will get you. We did 3/4 days on the IT with camped overnights a few years back and hiked cusco to mp. The stretch that straddles dead womans pass is the most strenuous. Its a stunning trip, amazing people but do the conditioning because otherwise the enjoyment will be less. My wife had been training for a marathon leading up to the trip and was in steller shape but got zapped by the elevation. I didnt do as much prep by was uneffected by the height. Youre going to have a killer time. Man.. i want to go back

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk