What's new

Any Louisville fans?

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Any Louisville fans here? What do you think about Bobby Petrino coming back as football coach? I can understand wanting to win as he has proven he can win at the college ranks. But man, IMO, what a frickin' snake and coward he is. He leaves Louisville after signing a long term contract to go coach the NFL. I can understand wanting to take a NFL job, okay. But during his first year with Atlanta his team is sucking (3-10?) and he literally leaves a note for his players in the locker room saying he quit and he rushes off to Arkansas during the season!?! WTF?? What a coward, doesn't even say it his players' faces. Then at Arkansas, he gets in a motorcycle accident with a young woman who he was having a fling with and lied about their relationship. What a douche bag.

Now Louisville wants him back? I just don't get it... I know people can change and he can win games, so I guess it truly is all about winning. Personally, no way I would want that kind of character running my program.

Sorry for the rant, LOL. But what do Louisville fans think about the signing?

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
As a Louisville fan I trust what AD Tom Jurich does. He is one of the best ADs in the country. As we head to the ACC next year I think it was very important to Jurich that the program not miss a beat after Strong left for Texas. Hiring a proven winner was important. I don't know how many proven head coaches were lining up to come to Louisville. Sure they could have hired a hot shot coordinator but who knows how long it would take them to hit their stride as a head coach.

I don't have a problem with the hire because right now there are not a bunch of big time programs looking to hire him like before so he probably won't be running out the door too fast. In the end its all about winning in the college athletics business and Bobby gives us the best chance of the available candidates.

Jurich has really stuck his neck on the line that's for sure. Hope I t doesn't blow up in his face.

Rating - 100%
33   0   1
As a Kentucky fan I find it funny. It's like knowing you're going to be in the right place to see an accident happen. They will win games I'm sure, for the 1-2 years he's there. But I'm certain he will go out in style.

Fingers crossed for another staffer affair or something of that nature. With him and pitino both coaching Louisville at the same time, great and funny things are bound to happen.

Popcorn is popped and ready.

Rating - 100%
33   0   1
I agree with you rac, it was a good hire again as far as football goes. It's the other stuff that just hard to believe as far as ad decisions.

I really can't believe they kept pitino. And I'm not just saying that as a uk fan. He went a little over the line. And by a little I mean several miles. Same could be said for petrino at Arkansas.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
We kept Pitino thru his personal problems and all he did was go to the last 2 final fours and win a national title.

Nothing personal Kantucky but a general statement about to be made here: what do Kentucky fans know about winning football?

Sorry I had to say it.

Rating - 100%
33   0   1
Ha not a lot. But neither do uofl fans when you think about it. Both programs are pretenders when you look at the whole scheme of things. We do have that national championship banner though.

Not saying rick isn't a good coach. We all know he is. I was just saying his personal problems were grounds for dismissal by almost any program in the country. An affair is one thing. Everything after that affair is something quite different.

I do hope both football teams are competitive especially with each other. It has always been one sided game one way or the other. It will be interesting to see how Louisville does I. The acc. Gave them little chance, but with bobby they might make it interesting.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Both our bball teams have certainly underperformed so far this year. And I wish Kentucky no ill will. When they aren't playing the Cards I like to see them do well.

Bottom line is the Cards need to win and win early in the ACC because I feel the rest of the country still views their football team as second tier. Petrino gives us the best chance to win NOW and that's probably why Jurich hired him.

Rating - 100%
33   0   1
You're pretty spot on. I think the bball team for uofl are what they are this year. Good, not as good as their ranking but they'll finish nicely with their schedule. Good game tonight against Memphis. Cats on the other hand have no excuse for not beating every team they play by 20. Way too much talent to even let most of these games be close. Very frustrating so far but they might be turning the corner. So many teams are underperforming this year it's going to be interesting in March.

You're 100% on about the football hire. I might have gone after James Franklin for pr reasons bc I think he's just as good of a coach. 9 sec wins in two years at vandy is amazing. But can't knock bobby on the football field. I be the leaves in grand fasion though.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Thanks for the reply coming from a L'ville fan. I think you are spot on saying he is probably the best football coach you can find to get wins. The AD is the person who is putting his butt on the line hiring him. He is the person that sat across the table, looking into his eyes and had to believe that Petino has learned his lessons. Fans truly have no idea. But with that said, I personally would never have even given him the opportunity to come back through that door and interview based on his character and that he is literally a laughing stock around the country in a lot of people's eyes. Oh well, easier said than done when I'm sitting here typing on a computer. LOL

Rating - 100%
33   0   1
"Bet he leaves". Stupid iPhone.
From what I have heard, his contract basically prohibits him from leaving. A big buyout clause if not other things... he even joked about it in the press conference.
I need to read it. Could be an interesting contract. But by grand fashion I was thinking along the lines of personal scandal.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Yeah I believe he is here to stay a few years anyway. He has to try and repair his image before any big football programs come knocking. Be hard to get that picture of him in a neck brace with roadrash all over his face out of a lot of people's minds.

Here in Louisville there seems to be a pretty divided crowd on this subject from listening to sports talk radio. I don't know what the split is 50-50 or 60-40 I don't know. As long as he keeps out of trouble and wins games he will probably win over the people who don't like it. Nobody talks about Pitinos screw up anymore because he has won.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Haha... Cincinnati's D' coordinator Mike Zimmer was recently asked about Bobby Petrino getting the Lousville job. Below is what he said... love it. Hope the Vikings get this guy as head coach.

When Bobby Petrino was hired in Atlanta, he hired Mike Zimmer to be the defensive coordinator after Parcells retired in Dallas (losing to the Seahawks in the playoffs on a botched hold by ... Tony Romo). Of course, that year was terrible for the Falcons for reasons well outside of Zimmer's control, including the bizarre Petrino resignation and the Michael Vick arrest, and the Falcons dropped from 18th in defensive DVOA to 28th. In fairness, Petrino resigned after the 13th game of the season, so it's not as if that was a significant part of the defensive quality of the team."I was never even there. As far as I am concerned. I never even was there. When a coach quits in the middle of the year and ruins a bunch of people's families and doesn't' have enough guts to at least finish out the year. I am not a part of that. He is a coward. Put that in quotes. He ruined a bunch of people's lives, a bunch of people's families, kids, because he didn't have enough nuts to stay there and finish the job. That's the truth.""He's a gutless bastard. Quote that. I don't give a ****."When told that the paper may not be able to say "bastard," he responded:"How about this, gutless motherf_cker. You can use that."