What's new

Any Other Woodworkers on BOTL?

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Over the last year, I've started getting back into woodworking and I can't even begin to tell you how much I love it. My grandpa owned a cabinet shop just south of Kansas City for decades and he retired about 10 years ago. When I was growing up, he'd let me work for him in the summers for around $100/week. I was a kid so my job was mostly just cleaning up the sawdust but occasionally, they'd give me a sander, or a nail gun, or even let me use the chop saw. It was a major highlight of my youth.

Just over a year ago my wife and moved out of our first home where we lived for 13 years. The house was too small to set up any kind of woodshed and I simply didn't have the funds then to get into it much. Our new house has a 3 car garage and I've converted the 3rd car bay into my new woodshed and. I'm. on. Cloud 9.

I've started building smaller things, boxes, serving trays, record stand, pallet walls, etc. but I'm starting to build furniture for my wife. She wants a couple new tables (entry table and dinner table) for the house. She tells me all the time that this is the first hobby of mine that she loves because she gets things out of it. haha

I don't know what I love more: building to honor the memories of my grandfather from years ago or seeing my wife's eyes light up when I make something unexpected for her.

...it's good to be making sawdust again.

Last edited:

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I didn't take any before pictures but this is the closet in my office. I decided to stain a bunch of pallet wood and I'll end up covering every piece of drywall in the closet with pallets. Then, I'm going to paint the shelves dark brown and have some Edison bulbs hanging for lighting. It's only 25% done but this is how it sits currently:

Since these pics were taken, I replaced the brackets with wooden ones that I made.

I also need to update the speakers. Haha

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I toy in the garage. Have most of essential tools to make stuff. I want to start making some custom pipe rests and stands for my growing collection. Most of what I own don't fit in the traditional style pipe stands with jars.
My goal is to sweep up several of the old tobacco jars that are in good condition for storing and build stands that will accommodate the larger pipes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I've been in carpentry most of my life.. but in the past year or two I've been getting more and more into the finer, more detailed side of it. (Less framing, more cabinetry) Now that I'm running my own show, I try to land more trim, and custom built-ins, as those are the most enjoyable, and rewarding.. I've recently gotten into milling my own trim as needed.. what a game changer! Lol
Aside from the "work" aspect, I do a lot of tinkering on the weekends.. fancy (ish) shelves for the wife's office, a bookcase for my daughter's room, cigar box ashtray for me, etc.. just whatever I get the idea and desire to make. It's my therapy! Lol.. last weekend I carved a much needed cigar rest from the limb of a 75 yo crepe myrtle.. simple, yet oh so satisfying...

I've still got a loooong way to go though!

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Beautiful work on all this stuff Brandon! I especially like the hardwood record stand with inlay...gorgeous. (y)

I live in East Aurora NY, birthplace of the Roycroft / Arts and Crafts movement. There is some absolutely incredible woodwork still being done here. I can't so much as turn a screw, but someday I hope to have this guy build me a humidor. He specializes in exotic woods and quarter-sawn technique. I've been to his shop several times; the level of detail, precision and finish are jaw-dropping :jawdrop::
http://thomaspafkdesign.com/

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woodworkers - I have a question. What's the best way to create the shallow oval indention in a pipe stand? Just curious for pointers and techniques used or that could be used

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Yep, I'm pretty good with the simple stuff but anything requiring planing, turning or dovetails is pretty much out of my league. The investment in tools if you get into the hobby big time is pretty high and has always been an obstacle for me.
Agreed. I'm pretty into it and am finding tools at decent prices on the resell market. I just bought a planer and a jointer which has helped immensely! It's a joy to work with wood that is flat and 90 degrees! haha. I've also been practicing 4 or 5 times a week on my chisel work. I have router bits that can cut dovetails for me but there is something about hand cut dovetails that get's me amped up. I'm not good at it yet but I've been practicing and have improved greatly.

I toy in the garage. Have most of essential tools to make stuff. I want to start making some custom pipe rests and stands for my growing collection. Most of what I own don't fit in the traditional style pipe stands with jars.
My goal is to sweep up several of the old tobacco jars that are in good condition for storing and build stands that will accommodate the larger pipes.
That's awesome! Can't wait to see some pics of this in progress!

I used to do a lot pf scroll work, but im hoping to do a lot more when i move into my first house. Great thread keep the pics coming!
Thanks man! I'd love to get a scroll saw eventually. The next tools on my short list are a band saw, drill press, disc sander, spindle sander, and a lathe.

I've been in carpentry most of my life.. but in the past year or two I've been getting more and more into the finer, more detailed side of it. (Less framing, more cabinetry) Now that I'm running my own show, I try to land more trim, and custom built-ins, as those are the most enjoyable, and rewarding.. I've recently gotten into milling my own trim as needed.. what a game changer! Lol Aside from the "work" aspect, I do a lot of tinkering on the weekends.. fancy (ish) shelves for the wife's office, a bookcase for my daughter's room, cigar box ashtray for me, etc.. just whatever I get the idea and desire to make. It's my therapy! Lol.. last weekend I carved a much needed cigar rest from the limb of a 75 yo crepe myrtle.. simple, yet oh so satisfying...

I've still got a loooong way to go though!
Going to need some pics, brother! I knew you started your own company and have been super excited for you. Would love to get into milling my own lumber as well. Closest I've gotten is to start buying some slabs from a guy 35 miles north of me. Bring it home, let it dry, and start ripping. It's kind of like cigars; I own a bunch and have intention to smoke them all but I also like knowing that I have quite a few and to look at them. haha. I want a bunch of slabs that I have every intention of building with, but I like to look at them and to know that I have them. hahahaha

OK Mike we need pics of the cigar box ashtray and the cigar rest. I'm going to steal your inspiration.
Bingo!

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Beautiful work on all this stuff Brandon! I especially like the hardwood record stand with inlay...gorgeous. (y)

I live in East Aurora NY, birthplace of the Roycroft / Arts and Crafts movement. There is some absolutely incredible woodwork still being done here. I can't so much as turn a screw, but someday I hope to have this guy build me a humidor. He specializes in exotic woods and quarter-sawn technique. I've been to his shop several times; the level of detail, precision and finish are jaw-dropping :jawdrop::
http://thomaspafkdesign.com/
Thanks, Jason! I had fun building that record stand! My favorite part of any project is adding the finish at the end. The grain in the walnut on that one popped when I added the poly!

Mr. Pafk is incredible! That's awesome that you've been to his shop; I'd be like a little school girl in there and giggle the whole time. haha

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
OK Mike we need pics of the cigar box ashtray and the cigar rest. I'm going to steal your inspiration.
The ashtray sucks, I nailed it instead of just gluing as stogiefisher suggested, and it started splitting almost instantly.. I plan to make another once I get another good box for it.. so no pics of that mistake.. lol.. but here's my super simple rest.. 1499866525360-725461598.jpg 1499866787018338577623.jpgAnd here's the pic I've got on my phone of the book case.. this was built from 1 sheet of 3/4 plywood, lauan, and 1 2x4.. all the moldings were routed and shaved from a 2x4 stud.. I kinda messed up the staining though.. prob going to redo it with a white wash.
14998670985701054377206.jpg

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
The ashtray sucks, I nailed it instead of just gluing as stogiefisher suggested, and it started splitting almost instantly.. I plan to make another once I get another good box for it.. so no pics of that mistake.. lol.. but here's my super simple rest.. View attachment 98320 View attachment 98321And here's the pic I've got on my phone of the book case.. this was built from 1 sheet of 3/4 plywood, lauan, and 1 2x4.. all the moldings were routed and shaved from a 2x4 stud.. I kinda messed up the staining though.. prob going to redo it with a white wash.
View attachment 98322
Those are awesome! Very simple and creative on the cigar rest and that book case is great!

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Woodworkers - I have a question. What's the best way to create the shallow oval indention in a pipe stand? Just curious for pointers and techniques used or that could be used

There are carving knives for that.. several different kinds for diff angles or whatever you'd call it..