What's new

Any tips on saving gas?

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Good day ladies & gentlemen,

Do we have any tips on getting better gas mileage? So many products and gimmicks out there. I use the gas treatment & fuel injection cleaners right now not sure if there a waste of money or not? Any help? Thanks

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I learned how to drive to maximize mileage when I bought my Prius.

1. Do not treat stop lights as quarter mile races. Go easy on the gas pedal from a dead stop.

2. Learn to coast in heavy traffic. No need to treat "rush hour" as your personal slalom course.

3. Keep it at a steady speed on the highway ... 65 mph or less is best. Also keep the windows up + use the AC while cruising on the highway.

4. Check tire pressure at least monthly.

5. Fuel injector cleaner is good, but I only buy them on sale. Otherwise you can just fill your tank with premium gas once per month. If you already use premium on a regular basis, you can skip the injector cleaner.

6. Keep the car maintained per your owners manual (oil changes, tune-ups, etc.).

The "gimmicks" out there ... magnets, special oil / gas treatments, etc. are best left to PT Barnum's customers.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Thanks fellas, never keep a full tank though. I'll try for sure see what happens, All the tips make a lot of sense. I know the stop & go kills the tank, just got to remember before I pull I tend to hit it kind of hard. Thanks

p.s just how much do you think the gas treatment & cleaners work?

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
1) Cover your car in vaseline (helps the car glide through the wind better)
2) Remove most of your interior pieces, obviously the lighter the car the better
3) Push the air out of your lungs and hold your breath while you drive (again its a weight thing)
4) Buck up and buy a car that gets good gas mileage.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I learned how to drive to maximize mileage when I bought my Prius.

1. Do not treat stop lights as quarter mile races. Go easy on the gas pedal from a dead stop.

2. Learn to coast in heavy traffic. No need to treat "rush hour" as your personal slalom course.

3. Keep it at a steady speed on the highway ... 65 mph or less is best. Also keep the windows up + use the AC while cruising on the highway.
I don't drive a Prius but these have helped me gain in MPG when I want to follow them :grin:

Posted via Mobile Device

Rating - 100%
62   0   1
1: When driving on the freeway, always use cruise control, set at 60 MPH. Fuel economy drops in an exponential fashion, not linear, at speeds over 60 MPH. I drive a 1998 Dodge Ram with a 5.9 liter V8, and when I cruise at 60, I get 20 MPG. 20! If you drive 20 miles at 60 MPH, you get there in 20 minutes. If you drive 20 miles at 70 MPH, you'll save a bit less than 3 minutes, but your fuel economy will suffer significantly. Cruise control will also improve your economy at any other speed you are driving, if you are able to use it.

2: Don't try to be the first guy at the next red light. I can't tell you how many times I have had people go out of their way to pass me because I was driving at the speed limit, only to have me coast up next to them at the next red light.

3: The moment you see a light turn red some blocks in front of you, take your foot off the gas, put the car in neutral, and coast until it turns green. A good part of the time, it will turn green before you get there.

4: Don't bother driving over the speed limit in city or stop and go traffic. You won't get to your destination any faster, and you'll burn more gas in the process.

5: Most people don't ever check the inflation in their tires. Improperly inflated tires can cut your fuel economy by as much as ten percent. Check them when you fill up your gas tank.

6: When you buy gasoline, always fill your tank. You're going to burn it, and gasoline in a full tank evaporates at a slower rate than in a gas tank that is half filled with air.

7: If you maintain your vehicle properly, (spark plugs, wires, and fuel and air filters especially), you should really only need injector cleaner maybe twice a year, depending on what you are driving and how and where you drive. Fuel filters are one of the most neglected parts on most cars, right behind transmission fluid and differential oil. Properly firing spark plugs igniting a mixture of gasoline and clean air just don't leave that much behind.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't try to be the first guy at the next red light. I can't tell you how many times I have had people go out of their way to pass me because I was driving at the speed limit, only to have me coast up next to them at the next red light
Had that happen about 2 weeks ago.

$513 damage to my truck....$6,781 to the 2009 Challenger.

They didn't quite get past me before they tried to change lanes.:scratchhe

I gotta agree with pno here. ALL good info.

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
most points have been covered...

keep rpm's low
try not to floor it to accelerate
products other than new spark plugs every 60k are a waist of money
lighten your load... don't haul 500lbs of crap everywhere u goh

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
and you can also save 7 - 16% on your electric at home cause it's de regulated in PA.
i won't post a link cause it might be considdered spam... PM me and ill shoot u a link

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
Try non-ethanol added gasoline - it makes a big difference after using gas that has 10% ethanol added: vehicle runs better & improved mileage as well.

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Try non-ethanol added gasoline - it makes a big difference after using gas that has 10% ethanol added: vehicle runs better & improved mileage as well.
there are no stations i know of that don't have ethonal added around here... it really shortens the stability and life of the gas!

Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Another tip, not really about mileage, but about getting more gas for your $$ fill up at night or early morning, colder gas is more dense. Also, run the pump at the slowest setting. When the pump runs real fast you get air bubbles running through the pump that still count as volume. Running slower cuts down the bubbles and you get more actual gas per gallon.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Another tip, not really about mileage, but about getting more gas for your $$ fill up at night or early morning, colder gas is more dense. Also, run the pump at the slowest setting. When the pump runs real fast you get air bubbles running through the pump that still count as volume. Running slower cuts down the bubbles and you get more actual gas per gallon.
Didn't know that and it makes alot of sense! I learned alot today!
I appreciate it, a Pno Thanks for the effort very informative!