What's new

Any Tricks on Working a Pipe Cleaner?

CWL

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks, on some of my pipes, I have a problem working a pipe cleaner all the way through from stem-bowl. I think this is probably due to the holes in stem and bowl not matching (I guess cheaper machine-made pipes have this problem). Sometimes, I can jiggle the pipe cleaner so it runs all the way through, but I have a few that just stops dead when it reaches the mortise join.

I don't want to take it apart while still hot, and I have also read that one should try not to disassemble the pipe after every smoke, so are there any tricks to running a pipe cleaner through these troublesome pipes? Or should I just wait until it's cold and disassemble to clean?

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
I have the same probem with a couple of pipes. I just try to use small pipe cleaners and when I 'hit bottom', I'll push a little to give the tip a little bend, then I back off a little and gently twist the cleaner till it passes. Usually that will work - not much of a tip, I know, but it's rare that I have to leave a pipe until it completely cools so I can clean it. the pipe cleaner size is the biggest factor for me - some of them won't work at all.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Some times what works for me is to start at the bowl and than work my way up thru the stem.

Just like AJ stated, the diameter of the pipe cleaner does effect it also.

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Sometimes you put a very "small" bend in the end of the pipe cleaner. This will help with getting the cleaner past the curve. A lot of cleaner's have a small bend from the wire being "clipped" while making the cleaner.

dougc905

Mostly pipes
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those would be the pipes to sell on eBay. Then buy a pipe where you can pass a pipe through easily.

Alternately...

I have also taken epoxy based wood filler and packed the bottom of the mortise joint then re-drilled the airhole while the filler is still soft. Often the cleaner will not make the 'turn' into the base of the bowl because the mortise is drilled too deep.

I pack the mortise full, then insert the stem testing for depth. Once I have the depth correct, the tenon will have made a circular impression in the epoxy. That tells me where to begin drilling. I then take an appropriately sized drill and create a new airway by hand. No power tools here!

Test for depth again and clean any rough spots or burrs. Then let it all harden. You should now be able to pass a pipe cleaner through easily.

I'll yell this:
DO NOT DO THIS WITH EPOXY GLUE! YOU WANT EPOXY BASED WOOD FILLER!