What's new

Any Vodka drinkers here?????

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
smokem94 said:
You MAY not be able to tell in some mixed drinks by tasting, but you will definitely tell by the kind of hangover you will have with the cheap stuff.
:bottle:
:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :barf: :barf: :barf:

scottsins

Official BOTL Consigliere
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
maybe we should do a vodka pass, where I go get a bottle of XO (I'm out again) and we send it around. Everyone takes some (5 ounces or so???) drinks it over ice. then, we can do the same with other brands. OR we can start a bottle of something else, then follow with others, staggering (pun!) every couple of weeks. I guess shipping would be a little more than for cigars, but maybe, just maybe, it could work! I would just like everyone (without committing $50) to have a chance to try my favorite.

p.s. - if I sound like an alcohol snob at all on this thread, forgive me. I've basically worked in bars and restaurants off and on since 1992, and it's one my passions. Drinking is also really fun.

also, since the XO is corked, which is bad with heat, we could even ship that and other vodkas in plastic water bottles. it would also cut down on shipping costs, i would assume.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I like the blind pass idea. Numbered water bottles where only the original sender knows the actual contents and people can review each number. :thumbsup:

L8A

BoM Feb '11
Rating - 99.1%
208   1   0
If your going to make a bloody mary i would think the cheap stuff on the bottom shelf in the plastic bottle would suffice. If you want to enjoy it over a few ice cubes with an olive then go with Kettle One every time.

Sorta like a Swisher Sweet vs. Opus X?????

smokem94

BoM Sept. 05
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Roxborough Park CO, Soon to be Wapiti, Wyoming
I've had Tito's...although I don't recall it just by itself or on the rocks.

I like Ciroc. My favorite is Hangar 1.

If you guys like vodka, I suggest you make a visit to Red Square (http://www.mandalaybay.com/dining/redsquare.aspx) next time you are in Vegas...it's AWESOME!! Their vodka list is OVERWHELMING in a good way!
My favorite place in the world for vodka!!!! Go at least twice a year and have their happy hour vodka and caviar!!!
Other than that I love Grey Goose

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I've been a Vodka drinker for many years ( I'm 63). While I've never tried any of the expensive brands ( XO, Ciroc, Chopin etc.), I do love Grey Goose. I don't buy it very often because of the price. Being retired, you sort of feel like you need to be a little frugal. I think Vodkas are kind of like cigars. Different strokes for different folks. To me, considering price and quality, Skyy is my vodka of choice. I usually drink mine straight up, but I keep it in the freezer. I occasionally put a little bit of Olive Juice in, kind of a dirty Martini. I love Bloody Marys, but like MadAl, I don't use a mix. I make my own and always use V-8 instead of tomato juice. The other ingredients, Worcestershire ( Lea&Perrins)
horseradish, Tobasco, lemon juice, and coarse ground black pepper, I don't measure. Just put in what feels right.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote for Titos. Brilliant stuff! And if you want flavored, I'd go for Van Gogh Espresso(on the rocks)...they also make a double espresso version I have had a chance to try yet. I think it even has caffeine in it!! How can you go worng?

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
+1 fot Titos, I love the Goose and Ciroc and Chopin and XO.......

We have a local Vodka made by Bend Distillery called Crater Lake it is reasonably priced and is very good straight or mixed.

I also buy by Vodka from Costco ( distilled in France ), it is GG without the price but I do not think it is filtered as much as there is a slight difference in taste. I have done the Brita filtering on it a and that changed it considerably.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm ALWAYS up for a good Bloody Mary recipe!! Even if I don't use ALL of it, it's nice to incorporate into my ever evolving recipe.

Although, as of late, I've found that Zing Zang mix is THE best for me. I've only drank Bloody's for a few years but I have yet to make a better one than Zing Zang or have a better one (from a bar or a buddy's mix)...seriously! But I'd like to see what you have. I know that everyone's tastes are different but it's REALLY good stuff.

Don't use a mix for Bloody Mary's, if you like I'll send you my recipe. Start with Tomato juice or V-8

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
Smokem makes great bloody mary's!! but, you have to use the good stuff, or face a nasty (i mean, gut-rotting, porcelein kissing) hangover!! gotta drink the good stuff.... Grey Goose! then Stoli's, then Absolute... there's a few others i've had once or twice that are good: Kettle one, tanquery silver, belvedere...

Docbp87

Smoke Into Oblivion
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
No love for Russian Standard? For the price it is unbeatable. It is especially good straight from the freezer sipped neat from a shooter. "наздаровѕа!"