What's new

Any winemakers in the crowd?

Rating - 100%
33   0   1
image.jpeg image.jpeg After a few months of pondering it, I've decided to take on the task of making wine. Pictured above is a couple of shots of my dad's wine room. He recently passed and I've finally decided to carry on the tradition. Over the next month or two I'll be transplanting this operation to my own basement, and most likely disposing of a majority of what's fermenting. Some of it has been working since 2008 and I'm sure isn't any good to drink. Don't worry- he left roughly 100 gallons of drinkable wine.

Looking to see if there are any brothers here into the craft at all. I know wine somewhat, but I've never had hardly a hand in making any before. Helped my dad from time to time but I still don't really know what I'm doing. Anyway, looking for whatever knowledge I can soak up- whether that's picking someone's brain here, or a book recommendation, etc.

I've got every tool I need except the know-how. Ideally I want to make some fruit wine (plum in particular has always been my favorite) but I'm also interested in crafting some table wines.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
View attachment 82720 View attachment 82721 After a few months of pondering it, I've decided to take on the task of making wine. Pictured above is a couple of shots of my dad's wine room. He recently passed and I've finally decided to carry on the tradition. Over the next month or two I'll be transplanting this operation to my own basement, and most likely disposing of a majority of what's fermenting. Some of it has been working since 2008 and I'm sure isn't any good to drink. Don't worry- he left roughly 100 gallons of drinkable wine.

Looking to see if there are any brothers here into the craft at all. I know wine somewhat, but I've never had hardly a hand in making any before. Helped my dad from time to time but I still don't really know what I'm doing. Anyway, looking for whatever knowledge I can soak up- whether that's picking someone's brain here, or a book recommendation, etc.

I've got every tool I need except the know-how. Ideally I want to make some fruit wine (plum in particular has always been my favorite) but I'm also interested in crafting some table wines.
Very similar to wine - I make mead

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I'm a kit-wine guy, but wouldn't be averse to trying it with my own sourced ingredients. Looking forward to making some Gewurtztraminer and Pinot Noir for the fall, both of which I love. (y)

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Hey david, I make several gallons of wine from fresh fruit every year. Hit me up if u have any questions

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I don't make wine but I occasionally make cider. Check out homebrewtalk.com if you haven't already.
It's a forum for homebrewing. Beer, wine, cider, mead, sake, cheese making, etc. You'd be hard pressed to find a better source of info between the members and library of recipes. It's like a gold mine of brewing knowledge plus it's free.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Wine people: I am a nondrinker but my GF, who I am totally corrupting with cigars, is a somm. I would love any info you have on wine and cigars that she might like. Due partly to her time as a somm, her palate is fairly magnificent and she routinely picks flavors out of cigars that I don't (until she mentions them, them I'm like... ohh YEAH!).

BigSkySmoke

Lanceros, Cowgirls and Burritos
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Wine people: I am a nondrinker but my GF, who I am totally corrupting with cigars, is a somm. I would love any info you have on wine and cigars that she might like. Due partly to her time as a somm, her palate is fairly magnificent and she routinely picks flavors out of cigars that I don't (until she mentions them, them I'm like... ohh YEAH!).
I watched this amazing documentary on Somms and the palette that they have is amazing. I don't drink wine, but hearing them talk about old vintages is interesting.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
That somm movie... netflix has two of them. one from 2012, one from 2015. Which one is the one you guys are talking about?

Strange, just looked at Amazon again and it looks liek theirs is dated 2016!

BigSkySmoke

Lanceros, Cowgirls and Burritos
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
The first one is about 4 guys and what it takes to become a master somm and the tests involved.

The second one is Into the bottle and is more about the history and what goes into making some of the great wines from around the world.

Both are an awesome watch!

I was referring to the first one as far as the tests to become a master somm...but I liked the second one the most, due to the history part of it.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
The first one is about 4 guys and what it takes to become a master somm and the tests involved.

The second one is Into the bottle and is more about the history and what goes into making some of the great wines from around the world.

Both are an awesome watch!

I was referring to the first one as far as the tests to become a master somm...but I liked the second one the most, due to the history part of it.
Thanks brother. Added both of them to the watch list on netflix. It'll be a good one to watch with the wife.