What's new

Anybody made a TEMPORARY outdoor smoking room thingy?

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Obviously, I use technical names - so you regular folk might not be able to keep up :guitar:

Has anybody done an outdoor smoke area of sorts that was temporary? With winter coming up, I'd like to have a place to smoke where the wind and cold won't be crippling. Driving to the B&M is a bit of a hike, and going by myself is no fun anyways. I was thinking about something like a pop up ice fishing shanty. I initially considered a space heater inside of that, but we don't have outdoor outlets so it would have to be gas. Probably not a good thing to be inhaling for 2 hours...

Since I'm at a point in my life where I move once a year, I can't build any kind of man cave shed - hence the temporary part.

Any thoughts?

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Not sure about the actual structure but a bunch of us guys would sit outside in wisconsin and have a propane heater that worked wonders. That could be your heat...

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I have actually been thinking about buying something like an ice fishing hut. They are small, portable and get pretty warm with just a small propane heater. I have seen some that are hard sided and relativley inexpensive.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Buy a cheap old RV and use it. They have propane furnaces installed already.
Hahaha if I wasn't a poor college student - that'd be great. I thought about smoking in my car with the heat on. But I don't want to stink it up and waste gas.

Not sure about the actual structure but a bunch of us guys would sit outside in wisconsin and have a propane heater that worked wonders. That could be your heat...
Thought about that too. We have some back home. But I'd still like something to block the wind.

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
Big thing would an outdoor propane heat lamp. I love mine! I just use mine outside on the deck in the winter and an extra layer of clothes. I smoke year around in Mass and it is comfy.

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
Buy a cheap old RV and use it. They have propane furnaces installed already.
Hahaha if I wasn't a poor college student - that'd be great. I thought about smoking in my car with the heat on. But I don't want to stink it up and waste gas.

Thought about that too. We have some back home. But I'd still like something to block the wind.
I do not have pictures but a friend built a 3 wall barrier to block wind and he just sits inside like he is in a cubical at a big office.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Hmm. Never even thought of a heat lamp. That's interesting.

And yeah, a 3 wall barrier might be good. I could put hinges on the corners so it folds up too.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did this a couple years ago. Had a townhouse with a deck, tented a tarp under the deck and down the back and closed in the sides. The back door of the house opened into my man cave/ smoking room. Had a propane heater, it was tolerable in jeans and sweatshirt at about 20°F. If I really wanted to do it right I would have used two layers of tarps or tried to build it out of rigid foam insulation boards covered by a large tarp.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
http://www.drumshields1.com/

Not sure if this qualifies as "cheep" but you could use one the these as a wind barrier... they fold up nice (you could fit it in a closet), and don't weigh more than 50-60 pounds. You just have to make sure the wind doesn't change directions on you...

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
My initial thought was to build a frame out of PVC pipe and cover it with tarps. Run an electrical cord (not sure if this is feasible, especially if you live on the 3rd floor of an apartment building or something) to it and get an electric heater. Once it has warmed back up, the frame/tarps can be dismantled and stored for next year. Not sure how much it would cost...PVC isn't expensive depending on the size you use, but the connectors will add up and measurements of your hut might make it out of your budget.

Dan

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Sweet thread, I was wondering the same thing. And here I was about to scope out storage garages to make into a smoke shack. I like the fishing tent idea, pretty much exactly what they are for...minus the cigar. Might have an issue sitting in ambient smoke though, I'm sure there's a work around like opening the cover and pointing a fan at it. Those propane space heaters work awesome though!

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Awesome ideas guys. I sit in the garage with the door open about 4 feet and the rear door open to create a draft and expel the smoke, then I place a six foot long floor heater in front of me and sit back a few feet. It's worked great the past three years and is comfortable for an hourlong smoke.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Sweet thread, I was wondering the same thing. And here I was about to scope out storage garages to make into a smoke shack. I like the fishing tent idea, pretty much exactly what they are for...minus the cigar. Might have an issue sitting in ambient smoke though, I'm sure there's a work around like opening the cover and pointing a fan at it. Those propane space heaters work awesome though!
The obvious solution is for you to build a man cave big enough for MN herfs.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get some 2x4s and some cheap plywood, some nails and start hammering. Make a booth with 3.5 sides and no roof. Then anchor it to the ground really tight. Use a tarp for a roof that can adjust for ventilation.

Bring in a heater and you are good to go.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I use my truck in bad weather. It has reclining seats, a good sound system and heat. sometimes I run an extension cord out for a small space heater.