What's new

Anyone aged a Diesel?

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I finally fired up a Diesel Unholy Cocktail trhis weekend. I had head all about how much of an awesome cigar these were. It was perfectly constructed. The burn was razor sharp and the ash held on till about half way. The flavor were STRONG! But I expected that. What I didn't expect was just past the halfway mark, it literally tasted like it was dipped in DIESEL. SO I am wondering, has anyone had one aging since it's release and found that it did or did not mellow out?

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
I have a handful sitting to see if the flavors become a bit more complex. I really like the cigar and haven't experienced anything about the flavor that was offensive. They are pretty one dimensional and do tend to get a little boring if you start to smoke them regularly hence my attempt at resting them.

Was your experience the same with more than one stick?

Last edited:

swat253

CRA Member #206760
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
I've had Diesels aging since October and have found them to gain a little depth with each one that I smoke. Haven't experienced any bitter or undesirable flavors although, the last few haven't been as good as the second Diesel I smoked after two months in the humi. It's been about 6 weeks since I've had one so, I guess it's on the list for the week.

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Aren't these too recent to have been aged? From what I remember we're talking about much less than, even, a year since release.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I'm in that minority when it comes to the "Unholy Cocktail", I just didn't care for the "taste" of the Diesel.

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
The first inch of these are kind of blah but after that it starts getting really good. Strong and rich dark cocoa flavor :thumbsup:

I'm enjoying them as is so I don't think I'll be able to experience them with a lot of age.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
The first inch of these are kind of blah but after that it starts getting really good. Strong and rich dark cocoa flavor :thumbsup:

I'm enjoying them as is so I don't think I'll be able to experience them with a lot of age.
Thanks for the input Eric, maybe I need to address them again.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Aren't these too recent to have been aged? From what I remember we're talking about much less than, even, a year since release.
That is what I was thinking as well. Rest is a bit different than age. I rest every night and wake up feeling better. I have aged over the last 10 years. I may be splitting hairs, but it's just how I see it. I have seen post in the past saying I am selling cigar X with 3-6 months of age. That is not age.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I've tucked away a fiver in a separate humidor from October or November of last year. I'm going to try to keep them a year+ before tearing into them.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
That is what I was thinking as well. Rest is a bit different than age. I rest every night and wake up feeling better. I have aged over the last 10 years. I may be splitting hairs, but it's just how I see it. I have seen post in the past saying I am selling cigar X with 3-6 months of age. That is not age.
Dave, just curious, when does aging start for you....aging cigars that is.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I would say age begins at 1 year minimum od "rest" so if a cigar has been out for 9 months none of them are aged. Maybe well rested, but not aged. IMO.

(I did not write IMHO, because I am many things, but have never been very HUMBLE)..hehe

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Do you count the time a cigar was boxed till it was shipped as aging?

I know when I asked Dion about the box of 01/09 ECCJ's I had and when did he recommend smoking them his comment to me was...."I aged them six months prior to shipping them, I would definately smoke them now."

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Yes, if they let it age/rest, then the effcts of it will still be present. And yes 6 months will change a cigar, but to callit age doesn't sound right to me.

"Man this Cigar is Awesome!!, it's been aging for a whole 6 months." yep I'm right..that sounds funny.

"Man This cigar is so much better after let it rest for a few months." Seems a little less pretentious.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the few months I've had them I've a few small changes but that could just be the time between them and my mood.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I'm in that minority when it comes to the "Unholy Cocktail", I just didn't care for the "taste" of the Diesel.
I agree with you on this one. I like the La Herencia Cubana Oscuro Fuerte much better which is blended by AJ with a PA wrapper just like the Diesel.

These came out in November if I remember correctly, so I think that is about 7 months rest for the few I have.