What's new

Anyone else on here work 10-12hr days consistently?

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
The hours dont sound so terrible but that rotating shift is a killer. I would probably end up alcoholic & divorced too. and probably on meth too lol
I'm lucky. I have a killer wife that has put up with my sorry ass for 21 years. I definately got the better end of that deal.
I do drink more than my share, and smoke stogies and pipes like they're going out of style. Relaxation therapy, is what I tell her it is. Lol she knows BS when she sees it.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Wow dude that is rough. My advice......learned the hard way is family first. Carve out time for them. Untill the last 3 months I worked 50+ a week some 80-90 when running service. In your case sounds like you are in a position to make what ya need for the family. I would say keep your head up. Make sure the family sees you. Just make sure you do spend time. Otherwise your newborn may scream cause he thinks you are a stranger. Happened to me. Made sure I made the change to keep some time with the family. Good luck brother. I know you will do GREAT!!!!

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have worked 7 days a week anywhere from 9-11 hours a day since August with my recent job 100 miles from home one way. Make good money. Union electrician just a traveling man. Hard with a family though. I have worked this type of schedule since before I met my wife so she understands somewhat. Occasionally I just quit and spend a few months at home with my kids one 11 one 3. I grew up in this type of lifestyle as my father is also a union electrician and we actually travel together. I feel terrible when I leave for it of town especially with my youngest because she is daddy's girl. I'm just glad I have a wife that can keep it all together while I work to make a brighter future for us all.

Last edited:

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I have worked 7 days a week anywhere from 9-11 hours a day since August with my recent job 100 miles from home one way. Make good money. Union electrician just a traveling man. Hard with a family though. I have worked this type of schedule since before I met my wife so she understands somewhat. Occasionally I just quit and spend a few months at home with my kids one 11 one 3. I grew up in this type of lifestyle as my father is also a union electrician and we actually travel together. I feel terrible when I leave for it of town especially with my youngest because she is daddy's girl. I'm just glad I have a wife that can keep it all together while I work to make a brighter future for us all.
I hear you. I worked 80+ hours a week when we first had the kiddos so my wife could stay home and raise them. I worked full time at the highway dept. and then mowed yards after work. My daughter would cry the first three years of her life when I'd try to pick her up. I figured it was better with me working two jobs and the wife home raising them than both of us work and have a stranger do it. I did this for 9 years. Sacrifices are part of life. I'm glad we did it the way we did. It was only temporary, and we see the dividends in the way they act every day of their lives.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I hear you. I worked 80+ hours a week when we first had the kiddos so my wife could stay home and raise them. I worked full time at the highway dept. and then mowed yards after work. My daughter would cry the first three years of her life when I'd try to pick her up. I figured it was better with me working two jobs and the wife home raising them than both of us work and have a stranger do it. I did this for 9 years. Sacrifices are part of life. I'm glad we did it the way we did. It was only temporary, and we see the dividends in the way they act every day of their lives.
My wife also has a full time job.

luckysaturn13

Smoke it if ya got it!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I was in sales too. Its a grind but you eventually get used to it. I did 10-14 hrs usually 6 days a week for several years as a batchlor. I took to it easy and figured it was the norm after watching my fater do it my whole life. Then I had kids.. man how it all changed. I continued to do it for another 2 years. It was extremely hard on my family and my relationship was taking a toll. Then I went into work about 4 months ago and they permanently extended my schedule and changed the pay plan... Enough was enough I made a change picked up a good union job and now I have dinner with my family every night. I have to work quite a bit harder at the new gig but its helped my family out immensely. You just gotta do whats right for you. And dont be afraid to make a change if things affect your home life. And remember either way you still have to make the bills and provide for your family. But you also have to be there for them too. Also the big income days and months can make it addicting but you have to look at your yearly gross to calculate things. Stay positive and try hard but dont be scared to chance company s or even consider a change altogether if times start to get pretty rough. Use your interactions to keep a small book of net working contacts of clients you mesh well with incase you do want to make a change

Last edited:

luckysaturn13

Smoke it if ya got it!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
With me the pay averaged out about the same as what I was making the past two years but I work about 10-20 hrs less a week and my benefits are amazing where im at now so im really comming out ahead. I didn't want to make a change at all I was dead set to grow my volume ti where it would justify the hours. I dont like to do something where I dont finish or succeed. Im not one to cash in my chips but finally I had to do it for my family and its worked out great

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scheduled 50 hours a week(salary) usually in the form of 10 hour days one of which is either a Sat or Sunday(retail management). Equates to 55 hours at the job (lunch break) and another 5-7 a week on the road to and from depending on traffic. Should have finished college lol! Great retirement options so hopefully I can hang it up at an earlier retirement age. Sacrifice now for the future has always been my motto provided I can still maintain some family balance but kudos to those that can put family first no matter what. It's all about choices and making the right ones for each individual.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Scheduled 50 hours a week(salary) usually in the form of 10 hour days one of which is either a Sat or Sunday(retail management). Equates to 55 hours at the job (lunch break) and another 5-7 a week on the road to and from depending on traffic. Should have finished college lol! Great retirement options so hopefully I can hang it up at an earlier retirement age. Sacrifice now for the future has always been my motto provided I can still maintain some family balance but kudos to those that can put family first no matter what. It's all about choices and making the right ones for each individual.
Did that man... Spent 8 years in retail.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I'm in the public accounting business. Super seasonal. At times I work 30 hours a week. Other times its 80.

There was never a tombstone that read " I wish I had spent more time at work."
This is the most important thing to keep in mind. We all think hey its going to be a short term thing that we're working so much and it's worth it, but work should never be more important. Period. You never know when it is your time.

WhiteWolfIndulgence

Prince Sascha
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm just curious. Recently took a new job and although the pay increase is nice, I find myself working 10-12 hour days + 4 hours on Saturdays. It's a sales job and volume is slow right now, thus the extra output of energy to hit monthly goals. I'm finding it difficult to have the energy for anything else? I have a 2 year old at home and am struggling a bit. I saw him for 30 min in the last two days because I'm out the door before he wakes up and get home after he goes to bed.

How do you all switch gears for family time and make it work?

Sorry for the rant. Just getting it off my chest.
Luckily, my relationships are all out of state temporarily so phone calls, texts and FB keep me in touch with lovers but honestly, yeah I do work 10-12 hour days as a writer/editor. And being that I'm about to step into the cigar industry (as a writer) will only add to the wonderful workload but I"ll have to retool the work day. As it is, I already work until 3 AM, but luckily I start my day later than most. I suppose taking time off if possible when girlfriends come to see me is just something I"ll have to do.