What's new

Anyone Freeze their Habano's?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kurtdesign1 said:
And what would you suggest?

A friend thinks it has more to do with atmospheric pressure spikes/valley's rather than temp/humidity. Haven't had enough of an outbreak to say one way versus the other.
I've read about that theory. It could be possible, but out of all the available options, I go with freezing. It may not be 100% effective, but it's better than doing nothing.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Viper139 said:
... I would wait until I saw some in traps. I too have no doubt that it would effect the taste of the smokes...
OK, that's a new one on me: beetle traps? What's the scoop? What are they like? How big are they? Do they work? How much do they cost? Where can you get them?

I've only been zapped once, but it's pretty scary when it happens.:lookaroun

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
I think Comacho freezes all his smokes before shipping. I personaly don't like the practice. It hast to change the tastes. On occasion when I do see a beetle, I try to isolate the possible infested smokes. Then just watch the humidor closly for further problems.

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
I freeze all of mine upon receipt. I am ultra careful and have never had a problem with the smokes. I have smoked unfrozen samples stored separately for comparison with the frozen smokes after cycling through the freezer. Both frozen and unfrozen were allowed to sit for ~30 days after the freeze. I have detected no discernible difference or change in flavor across a wide variety of brands and sizes. I have never had an outbreak or any physical problems with any of my smokes.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The only time I've seen a live beettle was from Cigar Stash of Arizona(not a good vendor from my exp), from a shipment in the middle of summer.

J

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AZsteelman said:
but what are you storing them at now?
That outbreak is not mine, but a friends. His humidor is a converted chest freezer and his temp is 59 degrees. Anything that is not for immediate smoking is kept in there. There was a small outbreak that he caught in time, isolated to 1 box.

I keep mine at roughly 65 degrees. My humi is in my downstairs suite which is naturally cool. Previously I've frozen all my boxes. The last few shipments came directly from havana House, which freezes all their stock.

As for being able to detect any difference in taste...apparantly Cuba now freezes all their inventory, as do many online suppliers. BUT there is still a chance of infestation from bugs hitching a ride on cardboard boxes, crates, etc.