What's new

Anyone have a landcruiser?

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
I looked into getting a later model (2000+) when I was searching for my wife's car...I did not find any good write ups on the car. car and driver slammed them pretty hard as did others. Look into before buying one...they might have gone down hill since the early 90s...but if they were the same quality...I would be cautious. Nick

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
My Jeep knows it's a Jeep, not some damned foreign SUV that thinks "going anywhere" means driving on a loose dirt road. LOL! :grinFU:

And FWIW, in addition to my Jeep, I've got a 4x4 Toyota Tacoma (Hilux to you) so I'm somewhat familar with Toyotas, although I haven't personally owned a Cruiser.

As for a Cruiser, it depends on what model you're looking at; obviously you're in a different part of the world than me, so you've got a few additional choices than I would (certain vehicles aren't sold in the US).

The FJ-80 (90-97) is a great 4x4 SUV (which at the time would have been a "luxury" SUV), and in fact I came <this> close to buying a 1996 a few years back. I wouldn't hesitate a minute to buy one--but they are rather large, heavy, and expensive. The *BEST* thing about them is probably that they're a SOLID-FRONT-AXLE vehicle, like a Jeep has, not IFS like an SUV typically has.

The FJ-100 (98-07) is a super-luxury SUV that unfortunately marks the switch from SFA to IFS front ends for the Land Cruiser flagship line. That sucks, but since it's designed to haul around soccer moms and kids, not for actual OHV use, I understand why they made the change. Still, anyone with an IFS-equipped SUV is kidding themselves if they think they've got a "capable" vehicle. Bottom line is that I'd say it's more Lexus than Land Cruiser.

The FJ-90 (96-02), or "Prado" as we call them, is a much smaller vehicle that is more comparable to the Tacoma/Hilux. In this generation, it's still very much a "light duty" vehicle rather than a "luxury" or "high end" SUV, and unfortunately that means it's got an IFS front end. BUT, if you could get one with the 2.7L 3RZ-FE and a manual transmission, I think it would last about as long as a Tacoma/Hilux....and that's really saying something. The only problem I have with the Prado/90 is that I find them terribly unattractive. :nodlaugh:

Frank N

CFL
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
It comes in handy. When I wanted to buy a new TV (of the large HD kind) I just called him up and asked him what he thought of a model or two. 45 minutes later, I had all the knowledge that I needed and it would have taken me 4 days of internet research to dig it up.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I've known a few people with aluminum Jeep tubs. Not sure I'd want one myself since there are so many grounding issues to deal with, and you've definitely got to go to the frame with the cage...really, I'd probably just opt for a replacement steel body, or better yet, build a buggy with custom body panels.

Or in my case--I'd have to BUY one outright, since I can't do any of that sort of high end work myself. LOL

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Grounding issues are easy to work around, and I'd want to go to the frame on a roll cage anyhow. That's just me though. I'd love to build a Fj45 from the ground up with some portal axles and a diesel engine.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
That would be bad-ass. I love the little truck cab cruiser!

My buddy Ed used to have a buggy built off an FJ40 buggy with Dana 60 1-ton axles & 44" Swampers, but he sold it and bought another FJ40 with Sunray Ford 9" axles and 42" Iroks. I love both of his cruisers.

FJ40s are easily my favorite Toyota ever.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Well perhaps I should've stated I plan on using this as my every day vehicle so I'd want it to be a little comfortable if I wanted an off-road machine I'd go with a Jeep M151, CJ 5 or a Willey's.

I currently have a 2003 Aucra TSX and have for long felt that roads in Karachi are just not suited for a car like that I'd much rather drive around in a jeep with tons of ground clearance on the obsticle courses we call roads here. I do plan on taking it off road once in a while but that will mostly consist of desert terrain and nothing rocky so I don't mind getting away from a solid front axel. Like I said if I wanted a serious off roader I'd go with one of the jeeps above for the moment I want something I can drive around on a daily basis and will most likely go with a diesel engine (3L, 1KZ).

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
So can you get the FJ-90 there? I think it'd be a good choice. If you get a diesel/auto one, it'd be a great daily driver and could handle light duty off road use; in fact, that's EXACTLY what IFS is good for!

That's why I have an IFS Toyota truck; it's my daily driver. For serious use, I have our two solid front axle Jeeps.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Thanks for the info bro think I will go with a FJ-90 though I can get an 80 series for the same price and that bad boy has 5 doors but the Prado it is now on to scouring the lots.

Posted via Mobile Device