What's new

Anyone Heard of These

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The much anticipated cigar, 7-20-4 has arrived and is available at West Coast Cigars, the exclusive distributor for California. This is a tasty smoke you do not want to miss out on.

About the brand:

The latest resurrection of a dead brand is about to come from New Hampshire, where a new version of the venerable R.G. Sullivan 7-20-4 line is soon to be introduced.

What was R.G. Sullivan? It was reputed to be the largest maker of 10-cent cigars in America, reportedly producing more than 54 million cigars a year in the early years of the 20th Century from its seven-story factory and warehouse at 175 Canal Street in Manchester. According to Tony Hyman’s National Cigar Museum timeline, some 350 rollers were making the famed 7-20-4 in 1910 and the brand prospered from its introduction in 1875 until finally closing up shop in 1963.

Now, Kurt Kendall is bringing it back. He’s the owner of the Twins Smoke Shop locations in Londonderry and Hooksett, New Hampshire and has acquired the trademark for the brand and is finalizing the blend, according to a story in today’s Manchester Union Leader:

“I always compare (blending tobaccos) to grapes: There's all different types of growing climates that produce different tasting products," Kendall said. “I'm going for a rich, full-bodied cigar, but I want it to be very smooth.”
The United States' longstanding trade embargo with Cuba makes it impossible to use the original Havana filler, so Kendall has partnered with manufacturers in Honduras and Nicaragua to blend his perfect product, aging and fermenting the tobacco, then rolling the cigars before aging them again in Spanish cedar boxes for 120 days. That process melds the flavors together to “mellow it out a bit,” Kendall said.

The 7-20-4 cigar was named for the address of R.G. Sullivan’s original factory at 724 Elm Street and the brand’s boxes pictured the factory and had an exterior seal that read “Every cigar contained herein warranted imported filler and wrapper and strictly hand made.” Usually sold in boxes of 50, the 7-20-4 was extensively promoted through now-collectible ashtrays, signs and tip trays that were distributed throughout New England and can occasionally be found on eBay. Kendall has collected some of the old artwork and plans to use updated versions in the new boxes for the brand.

Attachments

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I've had a few friends try these and everything I've heard on them has been positive. New Havana dropped an email out today showing that they are carrying them now.

I've heard rumors that Pete Johnson is the man behind this cigar, does anyone know if that is true?

Last edited:

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
I have had one. They are fantastic! Can't wait to get some more. Great flavors, well made, lot's of smoke, great burn. Might be q good idea for folks to pick up a sampler, which NHC has for about $39. Nice way to try the whole line!

Last edited:

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
I have had one. They are fantastic! Can't wait to get some more. Great flavors, well made, lot's of smoke, great burn. Might be q good idea for folks to pick up a sampler, which NHC has for about $39. Nice way to try the whole line!
the buddha has spoken! gotta get a sampler now!!!

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
I've had a few friends try these and everything I've heard on them has been positive. New Havana dropped an email out today showing that they are carrying them now.

I've heard rumors that Pete Johnson is the man behind this cigar, does anyone know if that is true?
I actually heard Dan from NHC had one while at the openning of the Pepin Factory and liked them. Don't think Pete is behind them, but the man an answer that himself.

Last edited:

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Just spoke to Kurt,he is not saying who blends the cigars....I guess we have to all get some and guess.....Mine are on the way..... when you try them please give a review..Nacho Daddy

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Just spoke to Kurt,he is not saying who blends the cigars....I guess we have to all get some and guess.....Mine are on the way..... when you try them please give a review..Nacho Daddy
Yep, that's what I've heard from a couple sources now. Whoever it is, they definitely want to keep it a secret - at least for now.

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
From New Havana's site:

7-20-4 Cigars

Kurt Kendall has revived an old, historic brand name, 7-20-4. Originally named for R.G. Sullivan’s original factory at 724 Elm Street, the brand lasted from 1875 through 1963 in Manchester.

A smooth, full-bodied cigar available in 5 sizes and featuring a blend from multiple countries.

Handmade in Honduras
Wrapper: Brazilian Mata Fina
Binder: Costa Rica
Filler: Nicaragua, Honduras, Mexico, Columbia

I met Kurt in Nicaragua where we were both attending a factory opening as guests of Pete Johnson. Kurt handed me a 7-20-4 cigar to smoke and I knew it would be a hit in the NHC portfolio.

Sounds like a killer smoke... not a bad price point...

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Got a mixed 5'er of these in a trade and smoking my first one now, it's really good so far - at 1/3 in.

Dark mottled wrapper is very oily.
Dominant flavors so far are rich tobacco and woodsiness. NOM...

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
they were much milder than i expected for as dark as they are. nice change of pace. and no pete is not involved in anything other than smoking them.

Drac

www.smokesignals.biz
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually Kurt is one of my dearest friends and this cigar is awesome!!!

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
I was wondering how these are - They look fantastic... I almost ordered some, but I'm holding out for Halloween... So much temptation with so many good smokes coming out!
7-20-4, Le Bijou, 50/50, HC Colorado, etc...