What's new

Anyone here had knee surgery?

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
So apparently I need to have some work done on my knee. I tore my meniscus about a month and a half ago and just tried to work through it. Well that all came to an end last week when the tour I was on (dirty roadie) sent me home to get things sorted out. After seeing the ortho today he said that I need surgery but it;s a simple procedure and I should be back in action quickly. I have an MRI and surgery consult on Tuesday, hoping to get back to work as soon as I can. Just wondering if anyone here had a similar experience or kinda what to expect. Never had any surgery before so I'm a little leery of this but I guess it has to be done. Thanks in advance.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Brother no need to worry. I had all the ligaments in my right foot replaced just take it easy and listen to the doctors I can't stress that enough and everything will be fine. My prayers will go out to you for a speedy recovery brother.

drbell15

SmallWaveDave
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I believe repairing a torn meniscus is the best possible knee surgery. I had it done twice, once on each knee from soccer injuries and walked out (gingerly) of the hospital after it was finished. It is amazing how good the surgeons are with an arthroscope these days, not really that invasive. I also highly recommend physical therapy to get back up and running. Good luck

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Two acl reconstructions for me after being a high flyer for years. Out patient surgery at this point. A meniscus is pretty pedestrian. Most likely they will clean it out if you have anything floating around in there, drain it if you have swelling (synovial fluid) and repair it. Afterwards you'll most likely be given a list of exercises to strengthen the quads and hams to support the knee better. Do only what the docs tell you no matter how good it feels but don't slack and do less than what they tell you. I don't know your age or how you tore it but after you heal maintain your leg strength and you should be fine.

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Torn cartilage and MCL here. Meniscus is cake walk. It'll take about 45 mins for the surgery, three little holes in your knee. They'll have you walking within an hour or so after you wake up. They'll be a bandage that you can't get wet for a couple of days. You can either get a shower boot or just wrap the knee in saran wrap and tape off at the top and bottom with medical tape. After a couple of days, you can remove the bandage and air it out. They'll take the stitches out about 7-10 days after the surgery. Driving might be a little tough for the first week though. DO NOT skip the physical therapy....that's going to help more than anything to get strength and mobility back. Feel better!

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
I had my Meniscus cleaned up after a skiing accident and like everyone said it's fairly straightforward. A couple days laying on the couch taking pain killers but still able to walk. Recovery is quick and you could be back to work in a few days, but if you're a Roadie it may take more time. Good luck!

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Had my Meniscus done about this time last year. Easy recovery with just a little rest. Had put it off for a long time and now realize I should have had it done sooner.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suffered a complete tear in my ACL (soccer) in 2008 and went through with the reconstruction surgery in June of 2009. I was in an interesting position (probably the same one you are in), where I had a choice on whether to do the surgery or not. With a torn ACL, my knee would often 'give out' as I was walking, I believe the scientific term is wonky. :skew: I am interested in what your symptoms are at the moment. The doctor told me I could live with it, or go through with the surgery and as you did, I tried to work through it as well. I also had a close friend who recently had the same issue (torn ACL, soccer as well) and also chose to have the surgery.

I'll tell you the good news and then the not so good news...since you are looking for feedback I want to be completely honest.

My friends surgery went very well, and after a short rehabilitation he was recovered in no time, back to normal (if not stronger than before). My understanding (as others mentioned above) is the meniscus surgery is less intrusive and the recovery time is also fairly short. This should be considered as the typical result.

My surgery, in my opinion, not as well. To this day I am not sure why but the surgery went about 90 minutes past its scheduled completion time and my scars look nothing like a typical ACL surgery would have left. Even my physiotherapist questioned if everything went as planned during my rehabilitation. Anyway, my rehab was also longer than normal (about 1 year) and to this day I still have some problems with my knee. In fact, I have another MRI scheduled on May 17th as I wanted to check if there was anything wrong, or if this is just how I am going to feel for the rest of my life.

With that being said and to help reassure you, if I had to do it all over again I would still make the same decision to go through with the surgery, and I recommend you do the same. If you are nervous as you haven't had surgery before, this should not be a painful experience. I would expect it to be more of an inconvenience than anything.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I had a torn meniscus and cartilage in one knee. Three small holes, about a week on crutches. Had an evulsion fracture of the fibula and torn ACL on the other one. Four months and four days before I could return to work with that one. 12 years later I still have numbness. But it's better than new. The key was to complete physical therapy.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yours will be a breeze, last spring I had a pattella femural re alignment done. Basically rebuilt and re aligned the whole structure, I was only out for three weeks. Had some good restrictions for a few months and the whole topside is still numb most of the time but it's 100 percent more stable now. Yours is just a few holes and an hour procedure, take a few days off work to enjoy some gars and relax. Just because haha!