What's new

Anyone into WW2 history?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am looking at finding an old book called "on the other side of the Hill" and I think it was Collin Hartly who is the author.. not sure about the spelling of the sirname..

It interviews with German generals about strategic mistakes that they made under order (often against their better judgement)..and in retrospect what could have been a different outcome of battles etc if they hadn't been ordered to do certain things....

I haven't read this one myself.. just heard about it and got curios...
is anyone else here interested in this sort of stuff??
:?:

gonz

RKBA
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I searched Amazon.com for "on the other side of the Hill"
Because that author turned up nothing.

Did you possibly mean -

Other Side of the Hill (Pan Grand Strategy S.) by Liddell Hart

Or -

The other side of the hill: Germany's generals, their rise and fall, with their own account of military events, 1939-1945 by Basil Henry Liddell Hart.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
:shock: :shock: You are one crazy guy, mate!!!Yea.. that is the exact one I was looking for.. and been looking for... for quite some time in fact... how about 6 long years ??? It's not easy to find this sort of stuff when you A don't remember the author's name... B not sure of the title and C haven't read the book and only can tell the story a someone described it to you in a conversation 6 years ago..

Very impressive mate and also an extremely nice gesture that is very appreciated.. now where the fuck is the bow down emoticon????? :lol: :shock:

gonz

RKBA
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
My Grandfather served in WW2, 82nd Airborne.
I'm kinda big on the history, since he was in the majority of the famous European battles leading to the end of the war (VE Day).

He fought alongside many heros, and was a hero himself.

I'm glad i was able to find that book for you. It's a pretty old one, and out of print books are terribly difficult sometimes... i'd imagine especially in Australia. I was lucky to find one in the UK, soon as it arrives here, i'll bounce it towards down under. Sounds like a fascinating read.

Cheers m8y! :smt030

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
gonz said:
My Grandfather served in WW2, 82nd Airborne.
I'm kinda big on the history, since he was in the majority of the famous European battles leading to the end of the war (VE Day).

He fought alongside many heros, and was a hero himself.

I'm glad i was able to find that book for you. It's a pretty old one, and out of print books are terribly difficult sometimes... i'd imagine especially in Australia. I was lucky to find one in the UK, soon as it arrives here, i'll bounce it towards down under. Sounds like a fascinating read.

Cheers m8y! :smt030
Wow, what a great gesture Gonz! :smt023 Knew there was a reason I liked you! ;)

My grandfather was also in the 101rst though, sadly, I have no information on where his service took him.

gonz

RKBA
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
JW, if you have any further info about your Grandfather, i can help you.
Otherwise, i can give you the most likely areas/battles. PM me or stop in the chat and we'll discuss it.

As for the book, Hawkan had it coming. He knew it was only a matter of time until i caught him slipping.

a nice fabric hardcover published in 1973...

I kinda/sorta collect books. They can get downright impossible to find, and who wants paperbacks? I sure would'nt send a paperback to a BOTL. And as someone who also appreciates a good rare book, i know he'll enjoy it.

I just had to do this (and announce it) before Jerry beat me to the punch!

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I'll see what I can dig up and get back to you Gonz...I'd be interested. Never lived close enough to my GF to get into those kinds of discussions, especially since most of my visiting was done in my young years when I could have cared less about that kind of stuff. I have a latent Geneology Geek in me, so now and then I delve into this kind of stuff.

As to the books, we could start a whole 'nother thread on this, but I'm right there with you. I collect 1rst edition hardbacks for the people I read. I enjoy a nice paperback now and then, they are handy if you don't care about keeping the book. I also don't feel so bad about reading, re-reading, re-re-reading paperbacks. I've got more than one book (LoTR comes to mind) that I've demolished from reading so many times.

gonz

RKBA
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I've had good luck keeping my books in great shape, but i'm not really into re-reading. My opinion, is that nothing beats a nice hardcover book. Theres something about them i can't quite put my finger on. Granted, they cost a fair bit, so i only buy important books. If it's not special then paperback will do... but they don't look nearly as attractive on my shelf.

As far as researching your Grandfather, anytime bro!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really a history buff here.. but my Grandpa was a belly gunner in WW2, he had seen a lot of action.

My wife's grandpa was a Chef in the Army as well :D

Both are now no longer with us, and neither of us met the other's grandpa. :(

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I've never heard about the book, but I went to High school with some German exchange studends who said all the time how their grandparents had mentioned over the years that the Nazis would have won if the field generals would have just followed their instincts rather then their orders. I kind of just dismissed it as almost a sore loser thing but now it seems to have some merit. Hmm, i'd be interested to hear about this after either of you read it. Would sound interesting to me. My g-pa too was in the service for the Allies. He was wounded though and ended up training recruits as a S.S. in Texas when the war ended. I wish he would have lived for me to be old enough to try to talk to him about it. It's a shame that all of his stories and experiences won't have the pleasure of being passed on to further generations.
That really was the 'Greatest Generation'; in this country at least. Can't speak for others.

Bsslack

So-Cal/Riverside
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Excellent Gesture Gonz!

Hakan is a Brother Who will respect and value such a interesting piece of History!

My Father was also in the Service and Died in Germany. In the Early 60's another unofficial War.

We all owe our Forebearers Much!

Slack 8)

J

jckposter

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hawk I cant help you with WWII. Im not over the Civil War..... yet...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Texas Cop

Cavalry Scout
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hahahahah....Jer, U a Civil War buff?....Hawk, any other books you looking for, I have a pretty extensive collection of war/history related books, my original career plan was to teach early American history..

As for my Grandfathers plug, he was with the 1st MEU in the Pacific...Was stationed on Guadalcanal and in mainland China...He never talked about anything involving the war, but upon his death, when I was making the preparations for his funeral, I came upon his discharge papers and service medals. He was awarded the Silver Star, the PUC, and the MUC, among others....He died August of last year and is now resting among comrades at Leavenworth National Cemetary..

Andrew

CharterCaptain

Master Baiter
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey gonz, my father served in the 389th Bombardment Group during WW2. I've got a few arial bombing and troop photos, including one with Jimmy Stewart. Man, the stories he still tells about his time in England and North Africa are just fasinating. I find WW2 an interesting subject, which is even more interesting while getting the details "straight from the horses mouth".

HMM... I guess bombing runs in the family. Better secure that mailbox bro :mrgreen: