What's new

Anyone make their own bread?

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
oK, i may stil give these a try, even though they do contain yeast.

I pay about $3 for similar looking breads baked at the local grocer.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
ok, i['m making this bread recipe today. Gonna go with one loaf of the traditional plain-jane bread before i start going for the rosemary olive oil and sundried tomatoe versions.

I'll take pics too.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Get a spray bottle and remember to spritz the sides right before you stick it in. I put a pot lid over my oven vent to keep the steam in. Not sure how much it helped if at all.

Oh yeah and every so often respray the oven to keep the steam up.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
well, i made a half order...2 loaves. they didn't turn out as pretty as adams. not ugly, just not the perfect look. Had no problem getting the outside crispy. in fact, theyr'e probbly too crsipy.

gonna try another batch tomorrow and experiement with flavors. the current batch tastes like, well, bread. nothing terribly special about it except that it's fresh.

Oh, and i sprinkled the kosher salt on the top. i love kosher salt and it's a nice addition to these loaves.

no pics. these arent' worthy of shwoing them off.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Gale, try the water (tray or misted) next time.
I had a pan in the botom rack. I don't think it ever really got cloudy insid ethough. i'll try misting and getting it super himid inside before i put the bread in. maybe that'llhelp.

it tasted fine, just wasn't anythig to wirte home about. and i like for everything i make to make you way "Wow! That was the best XXXX i've ever had." Everything MUST be of the signature dish caliber. Got to be the best or it's not worth making in my opnion.

as my signature suggests, i don't do mediocre.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Well I'm making some more bread today. This time I did half whole wheat flower and half all purpose bleached. I'm also trying a little different method of adding flavor. Instead of rubbing with olive oil and folding in rosemary after it rose I decided to add it at the mixing stage to see if it affects the rise of the dough. I don't forsee any issues. The bread will go great with my BEEF and some vegetables soup I'm making today.

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
So Adam, how was it? Ye shouldn't have had problems with it rising; but what did ye think of the flavour?

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
It came out good. This time I just eyeballed the yeast I put in so the bread was a little more airy and I did not knead it as much. The flavor was different with the whole wheat flour in there. Good none the less. I have a pic I'll try to post up later today.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
ressurected this old thread.

snowed in today.

making creamy potato soup and fresh bread rolls.