What's new

Anyone Taking Profits?

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
My 401k is up almost 13% for the year. I'm tempted to take profits since this loose monetary supply is nothing but a house of cards, IMO. This is like choosing between the lesser of 2 evils.

Posted via Mobile Device

Farani

Actually a Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Seems like a lot of people feel like it's a house of cards. When will it fall, though? Maybe it can stay together long enough for the economy to recover? I'm staying long in all my stocks for now...

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
if u do...invest back...I know stocks are flimsy so do a cd or something. it may seem like a long way away for a 19yo like ur self...but 401k is for a reason...and u will apprciate in future. And yes...I did do that in 06 when my 401k was very strong...but I did not re-invest and kicking myself on that one.

it still is a damned if u do damned if u don't...unless u have a crystal ball u may be pulling too early and your 401k could pull down more money in the long run....so just kinda up to u...if u like to gamble...roll on with 401k...if u like the sure bet...reinvest....just my .02...

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Dude, you are way too young to be playing that game. At best, move the allocations around to a more safe setup if you feel it's necessary, but keep in mind that you need to be looking WAY into the future.

cvm4

Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Dude, you are way too young to be playing that game. At best, move the allocations around to a more safe setup if you feel it's necessary, but keep in mind that you need to be looking WAY into the future.
This is what I was going to do. Move what I gained into a cash allocation. I'm long stocks, preferably emerging economies (big allocation there). I'd rather be an active than a passive investor. When I said take profits, I meant it :rofl:

Posted via Mobile Device

cvm4

Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I was up over 16% at the end of the week. Took the 16% and moved to a money market fund. Will re-allocate on the dips.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
My 401K is still down quite a bit since 2009 but I still have 20 years before I retire, so I am not going to really worry about it right now. But I am trying to diversify a little more in my stock holdings. Even with the addition of the fed reserve money in to the economy, the market will go up, but the dollar will be weaker as well, also we will have more inflation with this addition of money to the system. The Fed really has to watch this very closely, this can get really ugly really quick.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I've sold a few hundred share over the past month to take profits. If the Bush tax cuts are not extended- which requires Congress to pass a bill, capital gains tax rates will be much higher in 2011.

I'm older than probably most of the folks here so only have about 20% of assets in stocks. Most of that has been invested in China since the late 1980s. The remaining 80% is split between tax free municipal bonds and gold. Works for me.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I sold my entire position with VZ last week when it peaked over $37.00. I mostly hold dividend growth stocks and that one I purchased below $26.00 because of the hefty dividend. I sold it because I believe it was way overpriced, even with the looming iPhone. I made a nice gain on that.

I'm mostly buy and hold, but am waiting for the right strike price to unload RIG. I believe with rising oil prices shares should rise above $100.00. I purchased RIG after the Gulf disaster right around $50/share.

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
401K is meant for retirement. Since Social Security may be a bust by the time some of you retire, so I would suggest not touching it unless you absolutely need to.

The Market will be less volatile now that the Repubs control the House. We won't see another big crash unless Obama does something else stupid or until right before the election of 2012, if it looks like Obama will get reelected. If that is the case, it will crash just like it did in Sept and Oct of 2008 when there we fears Obama would get elected then.

401Ks are long term anyway. We will always have peaks and valleys. Just ride it out.