What's new

Anyone with experience clearing land

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I'm looking to clear about a quarter acre of woods (<12" diameter trees) for a pole barn in the next 12 months or so. I'd like to level out an area in the middle of the clearing that is about 50'x50'. There is roughly a 10 degree grade or so that would need to be worked. Will it require a bulldozer or would a chainsaw and a skidsteer suffice? I have a friend who has access to a skidsteer but I could rent one for a weekend if that didn't work out. I'm looking for the least expensive way to get this done. Any advice?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
least expensive chain saw. it will take longer though
I've got a decent size husqarna chainsaw and don't mind doing the physical work. I'm just not sure how to efficiently get rid of the leftover stumps.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Quickest most efficient way is with a D-4 Cat. My suggestion would be to get a couple quotes and see if it is affordable. This may be the best way to go seeing that you also need to level things out and may be more affordable than you think.

You can certainly do it with a chainsaw and a bobcat however it's going to take a lot longer and be a LOT more work. If you've got more time than money you can do it that way but don't forget about how much time you'll need to take off of work and/or how many weekends you will need to sacrifice. The good news is you can probably enjoy a cigar while operating the Bobcat.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions. I will definetly quote it out and see what prices I get back. I'm funding it with some extra side jobs so the dozer may be possible. I would rather spend my weekends building the barn if possible.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PamunkeyHub

Jayson
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Quickest most efficient way is with a D-4 Cat. My suggestion would be to get a couple quotes and see if it is affordable. This may be the best way to go seeing that you also need to level things out and may be more affordable than you think.

You can certainly do it with a chainsaw and a bobcat however it's going to take a lot longer and be a LOT more work. If you've got more time than money you can do it that way but don't forget about how much time you'll need to take off of work and/or how many weekends you will need to sacrifice. The good news is you can probably enjoy a cigar while operating the Bobcat.
This. Look for a local guy that does small jobs and has a track loader or excavator. One day with the right tools will save you weeks of hard manual labor. If you don't have the money and lots of time on your hands then have at it. If you're time's valuable, you're better off hiring someone to do it.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Get a guy with a dozer. Those trees even at 12" bases are going to have root structures a skidsteer can't handle unless you work at them in teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ive had a couple of lots cleared and always paid someone with a dozer. They make quick work of things. I also had the stumps buried and never had a problem.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk