What's new

App that just tells me what and when to eat?

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Anyone know of any apps that just tell me what and when to eat? I think Intelli-diet and Super Diet Genius do that but they seem outdated.

Since my kids were born, I fell off track. Its been about 3 years since I hit the gym so Monday Im starting with a personal trainer. Id like to get my eating habits straightened out and to make fitness a lifestyle.

Any help is appreciated!

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
Check out my fitness pal, doesn't tell u what to eat but give you a reccomendation on intake numbers and percentages based on your stats then leaves it up to u to log it and the community is encouraging

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
There's really an app out there that will tell you this? I've always eaten when I got hungry and as far as what to eat....I pretty much eat wherever I know there's good food. I hate to think any further on this....an app that tells you when to "go"...it's coming.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Lean meats for protein. Red meat once or twice a week. Nothing from boxes in the store unless it's a carb like rice or whole grain pasta. Buy as many nuts, beans, fruits and fresh veggies you want. Eat them in their whole form. Lots of salads. Make your own vinegarettes. High quality oils (grape seed, sesame and walnut) balsamic vinegar and red wine vinegar. I havnt used any app. Besides a running app the last 6 weeks. I'm not terribly overweight. (About 20lbs) but I've lost 10 in the first 6 weeks. Tonight I had a chocolate shake from DQ. But I ran a 5k, worked out for a hour. And then went to do heavy rescue extrication training on school buses and semis at work this morning. What comes in must go out calorie wise. I'm also running 5 days a week and working out 3 days a week. For me about 13 more lbs to go. Also go get fitted for a great pair of shoes. I went to roadrunner and had my run recorder on slow motion camera. They did a custom shoe orthodic and I CAN NOT TELL YOU HOW GOOD THE NEW SHOES FEEL! Most of all take it slow out the start gate. And good luck on a new you.
Jfire

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks for the input so far! I wanna get down 25lbs. My parents are overweight so I need to set my lifestyle in the right direction. Time for myself is tough, I wake up at 6am and get home 6pm. By that time I eat dinner, play with the kiddos (I have three) and pass out. Saturdays I'm with the kids while my wife works and sunday is family day. I'm cutting work an hour early to get the personal trainer time in 3 days a week. I eat when I can or remember to and drink lots of coffee so I figured an app that told me when and what to eat would make it an easy thoughtless process.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
There's really an app out there that will tell you this? I've always eaten when I got hungry and as far as what to eat....I pretty much eat wherever I know there's good food. I hate to think any further on this....an app that tells you when to "go"...it's coming.
I feel like for me it's more about training myself to eat the right foods 5 times a day instead of the convenient fast food.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I'm a little late to this convo but I'll add a few thoughts.

Hopefully by now your trainer has given you a new way to look at how/when/why/what you eat. The biggest part is the application of that knowledge. He can tell you everything, but you have to incorporate it. Easier said than done most of the time, but it's really about making a decision. I think you should be successful with it since you've taken the initiative to get a trainer. Baby steps.

Working out versus running for fitness. If you like to run, by all means do it, but it does have its consequences. Steady state cardio is catabolic to your system. Lifting weights is anabolic to your system. If you do both consistently in the same training, catabolic wins every time. You won't show me a 1/2 marathoner or full marathon runner that has muscle tone...the running eats their muscle for energy. The best way to lose fat is to build muscle...the more muscle you have the higher your metabolism is, the higher metabolism is the more calories you burn just sitting around. Running works for those just starting out, but after a while you plateau because you're not as winded from the same workout you did last week.
I recommend full body workouts for those looking to lose fat and just get fit. Also High Intensity Interval Training is awesome for fat loss. A 15 min HIIT session will burn more calories than running 5 miles.

A simple version of a HIIT would be to do a basic weightlifting workout, but in between sets, instead of sitting there, jump rope/high knees/box jumps or something like that for 30-40 secs, then do your next set. This way by the end of your workout you will have done 20-30 min of cardio and not spent any extra time in the gym.

Another method is called PHA training. A sample of it would be:

These exercises would collectively comprise one cycle, with 4-5 cycles generally being performed.

Clean & Military Press 10 reps
Squat 10 reps
Weighted Pullups 10 reps
One-Arm Dumbbell Swing 10 reps
Standing Calf Raise 10 reps
Sit-Ups 10 reps

Do this program 3 times a week and avoid doing cardio in the off days.A proper warm up should be performed before starting the program.Do a week off after 6-8 weeks.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I feel like for me it's more about training myself to eat the right foods 5 times a day instead of the convenient fast food.
Nutrient timing is important, but not so much if you're not into bodybuilding. Since you state you have bad eating habits, train yourself to eat three meals a day first. Five times a day from bad eating habits will be overwhelming. Plan on breakfast, lunch, dinner...then a light healthy snack before bed.

Track your eating w/ MyFitnessPal on your phone so you can see how many calories you're eating and the distribution of them. Keep carbs low during the day but eat your carbs around (pre/post) your workout. This refuels your muscles.

It may sound boring, but my breakfast everyday is 3 eggs and 1/2 cup of oatmeal w/ brownsugar and raw honey. Starts my day strong.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Nutrient timing is important, but not so much if you're not into bodybuilding. Since you state you have bad eating habits, train yourself to eat three meals a day first. Five times a day from bad eating habits will be overwhelming. Plan on breakfast, lunch, dinner...then a light healthy snack before bed.

Track your eating w/ MyFitnessPal on your phone so you can see how many calories you're eating and the distribution of them. Keep carbs low during the day but eat your carbs around (pre/post) your workout. This refuels your muscles.

It may sound boring, but my breakfast everyday is 3 eggs and 1/2 cup of oatmeal w/ brownsugar and raw honey. Starts my day strong.
NCost, your advice on cardio was exactly what my trainer told me. He gave me a good simple example...look at Olympic athletes. The long distance runners are very slender whereas the sprinters are muscular.

Its been two weeks and the training is going well. It feel like im getting back into my groove like when I was in college. Hopefully next week we will check weight and BMI.

As for nutrition, Im eating healthier than ever and 5 small meals a day. Surprisingly, its going great and with ease. I thought I would have big cravings or would get frustrated with the change but it doesnt seem that way. The 5 small daily meals is very sufficient.