What's new

Are cigarillos my salvation?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good Morning, All-

I have taken to this cigar smoking thing in a big way. New at this, and note that my questions are based on the fact that I have been a 1 pack per day cigarette smoker for 30 years and, although I am cutting way back on these I still feel that strong nicotine pull. Down to about 4 per day now.

I either need to find more to occupy my time, or smoke less. I find that I am smoking 4-5 sticks a day. That said, I really do love the taste of the cigars, but also suspect that I am in the hunt as much for the nicotine as anything else when I am jonesing for a stick. I have a tendency to light up a cigar when I don't really have the time to finish it, leaving it to go out and coming back to it later to finish (after cutting off the ash on the foot).

I'm thinking that I may be a candidate for a couple of daily cigarillos in between the 3-4 cigars that I expect my time will allow, and which would allow me some nicotine but would cut out the Marlboros. I don't mind spending good money on cigars, and have been buying at an expensive (but supportable) rate recently, but I also feel that I am wasting a fair amount of them. Hence, the cigarillo idea. If I had the occasional cigarillo between cigars, it might be the bridge that I feel that I need.

What are some of the better NC cigarillos? Are some better than others? Do they all use long leaf tobacco? Are they machine rolled or hand rolled? Will it give me a short-term nicotine buzz?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I think most used medium or short filler. I have a variety of Fuente smokes that are similar in size to cigarillos, I enjoy them in the cold. I also have some free ones I got in my last order from Famous. The Panter Noir and the Famous (house blend) panatelas. They both taste like... smoke. Either one of those will have people asking when you started smoking cigarettes.

Try some of the small Fuentes. Or stock up on BaitFish and the like.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I've been thinking of starting a thread like this for a while. I will go do that, so as not to thread jack yours.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
two smalls i usually keep on hand are the villager exports (both natural and maduro), and parodis. for something that can be kept in the car if need be, they both actually taste like tobacco. as a caveat, the parodis, and all dry cured cheroot cigars, are ANGRY little bastards, but that is part of their charm.

good luck to you on the conversion, remember to focus on the relaxation and not the fix, and PLEASE don't inhale; learning to roll with just the taste ant texture of the draw (and niccotene absorption through the oral membranes) is half the fight of getting away from cigarettes.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
two smalls i usually keep on hand are the villager exports (both natural and maduro), and parodis. for something that can be kept in the car if need be, they both actually taste like tobacco. as a caveat, the parodis, and all dry cured cheroot cigars, are ANGRY little bastards, but that is part of their charm.

good luck to you on the conversion, remember to focus on the relaxation and not the fix, and PLEASE don't inhale; learning to roll with just the taste ant texture of the draw (and niccotene absorption through the oral membranes) is half the fight of getting away from cigarettes.
.....And therein lies the problem. I really do enjoy the ethereal nature of smoking a cigar; its just that, an hour later, any residual nicotine on my lips is gone. In my quest not to inhale, I am not picking up enough nicotine to satisfy the cravings. Thanks for recognizing it.

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
^^ the Villiger exports are the best dry cured stick out there IMO.
I recently quit cigarettes myself and I worked hard to not lean on cigars for the nicotine. I found when I was smoking them purely for nicotine it was ruining the enjoyment that a cigar gives. A cigar is something that I do for relaxation, reflection and pure enjoyment of the flavor and experience. Seeking a nicotine fix from it was taking away from that (for me). Good luck man and definitely give the villigers a shot.

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Oliva Serie G's (4 x 38) are one of my favorite "quick fix" smokes. You can find then for around $75/per case of 50 when they're on sale too.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I'd guess you're the only one who can figure out your answer. I never smoked cigarettes, but I've gone through similar period of 'cravings'. I did find a few different cigarillos (and a couple different cheroots) did the trick. Most B&M's have a number of tins of smokes you can try. Quite a few of the common General Cigars are avail in cigarillo sizes. In this size, moreso than larger RG's, I think you will often find you get what you pay for. Very few ultra-cheapos sub-40RG that are any good at all, IMHO.

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
illusione cuchillos cubanos 32 cigarillos
fits the bill nicely for @$19 pack of 9

picked me up some icc 40 corona supremos awhile back...
its all good

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
illusione cuchillos cubanos 32 cigarillos
fits the bill nicely for @$19 pack of 9

picked me up some icc 40 corona supremos awhile back...
its all good
I like these OK, but they didn't suit the purpose discussed here. I think because they are so loosely packed - When I needed a 10-15 min cigar-fix and went to ICC, I tended to smoke them too fast - they get hot and nasty easy. These are for sipping only.

Rating - 100%
152   0   0
I've tried backwoods and other machine rolled sticks for quick breaks and when it's really cold out; some aren't half bad.

Also, my wife swears by the nic nasal spray to stop smoking (it's a prescription) but there is always the gum, mints, etc.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Granted this is a cigar forum and smoking is the topic, but maybe you should look to other activities or hobbies to veer off enjoying tobacco so much? Kicking the cigarette habit is a worthwhile endeavor but filling the void with frequent cigar smoking probably isnt going to lighten the load on the health or finances.

Get a gym membership, go fishing, go on walks, get a project car or bike?

In b4 flamed

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Granted this is a cigar forum and smoking is the topic, but maybe you should look to other activities or hobbies to veer off enjoying tobacco so much? Kicking the cigarette habit is a worthwhile endeavor but filling the void with frequent cigar smoking probably isnt going to lighten the load on the health or finances.

Get a gym membership, go fishing, go on walks, get a project car or bike?

In b4 flamed
I have found that smoking cigars and smoking cigarettes are too completely different animals; one is purely for a nicotine habit and one is for the sheer relaxing enjoyment of smoking cigars and getting inside my own head. I want to quit the habit of wanting nicotine, its the only reason I would quit cigarettes. I find incredible enjoyment in cigars and find it mentally stimulating; but quite honestly, I don't find much nicotine, if any, when I smoke cigars.

As to other pastimes, I could not do much more than I do now. I live on 2 beaches; one in the States and one in the Caribbean. Frequent walks with my wife and the dog. We swim 1 mile daily in the ocean. We eat 100% clean. I play a lot of golf. We bike frequently. Finances are not an issue. I've rebuilt and sold two project Porsche's.

My doc says that I have the health of a 20 year old man, and I just finished my 6th month of P90X. And I'm 62.

I want to quit cigarettes so that I have no cravings for the nicotine itself and because I hate the crutch, not because I am concerned about cancer. My fervent hope is that the day that I die I will be holding hands with my wife, a glass of single malt on the table, and a Churchill between my fingers.

I guess that I could get a turtle......:clap:

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Kinda interesting as I am someone that has smoked cigarettes in the past and will still have one here and there but I typically dislike it when I can feel the nicotine kick from a cigar.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Kinda interesting as I am someone that has smoked cigarettes in the past and will still have one here and there but I typically dislike it when I can feel the nicotine kick from a cigar.
I must be smoking them correctly then, because I'm not getting one from cigars either. I think that I'll try the gum. And I'm still getting the turtle.....

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Be careful with the turtle. I let one get close to me once.... that was before the divorce and bankruptcy.
Now what do I have to show for myself?!!