What's new

are cigars a good investment?

GuyMcBeerdrinker

poonsmith
Rating - 90%
20   2   1
I guess I'll log the first reply to my own thread. but if you can somehow forecast what's going to be in demand 10 or 15 years in the future, they may be a better investment than a CD.

I've been smoking cigars for a little under less than 10 yeas now, so I'm basically looking for replies from guys who have been around the scene longer than I have. looking at recent auction results lead me to believe they might be. but it may be a cyclical upturn that is inflating prices at the moment.

Mad Dawg

Herf Dog
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One word: Christie's.

When properly kept, habanos just don't decrease in value.

Recent prices for certain vitolas (LFdC Short Churchills, Dunhill Cabinettas) regularly pass $15K at auction. As to current production cigars, any Cohiba with age will pay you a handsome premium. Same applies to Trinidads. I believe some of the ELs will also get there.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If you know the market, and have seen the trends in the past lets say, 10 to 20 years, buying the right cigars can be a very good investment.
There are a few cigars on the market right now that you can buy at normal prices, that I predict will be worth 4 to 5 times their value in 10 years.
And, no, I'm not telling......hehehehe

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd hate to just sit on them and never smoke one! I age some of mine, but I wonder at times if I'll be around long enough to reap the rewards. Life is too short sometimes.
Hopefully in twenty years, I'd be able to buy one of bruce's smokes!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I predict that RA 898v will be one .. well I hope so anyway he he.. it is slowly disapearing from the market.. has the ability to age well and has the vitola size for it. but then again.. it could become just another cut list cigar too

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
With the growing anti-smoking movement worldwide, I would not consider cigars as any sort of long term (10+ years) investment.

GuyMcBeerdrinker

poonsmith
Rating - 90%
20   2   1
I disagree, tedski. historical evidence shows that whenever government begins to regulate things like that prices and demand soar. the prohibition did not do much to curtail liquor consumption. it made it harder to purchase, but people still got it.

also, drugs are outlawed. when was the last time you saw a dealer driving a yugo?

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
GuyMcBeerdrinker said:
I disagree, tedski. historical evidence shows that whenever government begins to regulate things like that prices and demand soar. the prohibition did not do much to curtail liquor consumption. it made it harder to purchase, but people still got it.

also, drugs are outlawed. when was the last time you saw a dealer driving a yugo?
I agree with Guy on these points and I have heard there is a high demand for post embargo cigars here in the US even though I understand it is against the law.
A little reverse thinking here related to Guy's thoughts. Consider the embargo being lifted in, say five years and quality remains high for those five years, would the increased demand from the US maket reduce quality in order to meet that demand. If so, would those 5 plus years of high quality product increase in value beyond normal aged sticks.

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
No, not at the level I could do it. I would need space for several hundred boxes for long term aging to make it financially worthwhile. For that kind of investment cash, I'll stick to real estate.

gonz

RKBA
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Only if you like smoking money.

As i understand it, in order to get big money at auction, you need some pretty good documentation.

Much better ways to invest, it would seem to me.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seems like a crap shoot to me. First of all, it's pretty difficult to guess what cigars are going to be in demand in 10-15 years from now. Furthermore, storing cigars for that long in the proper conditions, and maintaining the necessary records takes a fair bit of work. Plus it's pretty hard to predict what is going to happen in the cigar market that far down the road - for example if the embargo is lifted and the Cubans ramp up production steadily the value may in fact go down, not up.

I can think of easier and safer ways to make money, albeit they may not be as tempting or enjoyable.

If you were to put down a few boxes of good cigars for your own enjoyment, and then discovered they were worth substantially more than what you paid for them, that would be one thing. However, if you're putting a lot boxes down specifically to try to make a killing on auction you may be rather disappointed.

J

jckposter

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always say Ill save these..Well thats bullshit...yall all put them up when you get ready to sell them Pm me...LOL