What's new

Are Cuban cigars really the best?

Are Cuban cigars really the best?

• Yes, Cuban cigars are the best.

Votes: 71 22.5%
  • No, Cuban cigars are over-rated.

Votes: 32 10.2%
  • I enjoy both Cuban and non-Cuban cigars.

Votes: 189 60.0%
  • I have never smoked a Cuban.

Votes: 23 7.3%
  • Other, see my post.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On average, by far, Cubans are the most expensive cigar. Does that mean the best? Maybe.

Wish more of you could become exposed to the wide diversity of Brazilian puros (the best kept secret in So. America) in order to find out how value can also shade the opinion of a discerning cigar lover..
I agree whole heartedly that taste is subjective and smoke what you like.

Rex, you bring an interesting aspect to this discussion. Price and reputation (good or bad) do form peoples opinions about cigars...until you actually try them. With selling NC cigars in Germany, I already know I am up against a wall when I try to selll a NC cigar for €20. Germans look at it and think, "It's not even Cuban, why spend so much money on it?" But if it is Cuban, they will consider spending the money on it. Not saying it's right, that's just how it is. Even though the NC may taste way better than a CC, they won't think of it. There are some fantastic NC's out there. It is a challenge to change the mindset.

I love cigars. My favorites are Nicaraguan and Habanos. Lately I smoke more NC's because I'm finding quality issues too often with the CCs (tight draw, usually a hard spot where too much tobacco is tightly rolled together). Get's on my nerves.

Thanks, Micheal for livining it up a bit.

P.S. Rex, I have been smoking some great Brazilian Cigarillos (produced by Schuster) lately during my work breaks.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Smoke what you want.... Everybody's taste is different. It really depends on the person.

Tapatalk makes me wet.....

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I chose both, because there are many that I like from both.

But, I feel many of you praising the CC's for their price and putting down the NC's for the same reason are comparing apples to oranges. You are taking the very tip top of the line of NC's and comparing them to nearly the bottom of the line CC prices. The price window I read just a couple of posts above is so far out of left field, I'm wondering where the thin air is that it was picked out of.

There are plenty of fantastic NC's for well under $150/box, many under $110 and a few under $100, and that's just looking at good smokes. Cain Daytona - $93/bx, Padron has a whole line under $120/bx, Alec Bradley Prensado - $150/bx, Alec Bradley American Classic - $72/bx, PDR's - $82/bx, La Aroma De Cuba - $130/bx, Don Pepin black - $140/bx, etc, etc, etc.

I know there are awesome CC's for cheap as well, but don't run around saying how over priced NC's are, when that's just not true. I can point to both CC's and NC's that are severely overpriced, several Opus' and cohiba's come to mind.

smelvis

Not part of the clique
Rating - 100%
21   0   0

But, I feel many of you praising the CC's for their price and putting down the NC's for the same reason are comparing apples to oranges. You are taking the very tip top of the line of NC's and comparing them to nearly the bottom of the line CC prices. The price window I read just a couple of posts above is so far out of left field, I'm wondering where the thin air is that it was picked out of.

There are plenty of fantastic NC's for well under $150/box, many under $110 and a few under $100, and that's just looking at good smokes. Cain Daytona - $93/bx, Padron has a whole line under $120/bx, Alec Bradley Prensado - $150/bx, Alec Bradley American Classic - $72/bx, PDR's - $82/bx, La Aroma De Cuba - $130/bx, Don Pepin black - $140/bx, etc, etc, etc.

I know there are awesome CC's for cheap as well, but don't run around saying how over priced NC's are, when that's just not true. I can point to both CC's and NC's that are severely overpriced, several Opus' and cohiba's come to mind.

Very well said and true as far as I see. :applause:

BEN(SWEDEN)

Bockbrännarbolmers
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I think Cuba has the best tobacco to work with making it possible to produce some epic cigars. I really like GOF and some other cigars from Fuente but the best NC I have smoked does not stand a chance to the best CC.

Now I don't think it is right when some says there is not one better than the other but just what you prefer, I have all the respect for someone that prefers a NC and say they like that taste better. But IMO the Cuban tobacco is the best. I think people like MRN would know if an NC had the same potential as a CC.

I think one proof of this is the vintage market, CCs have potential to develop so much but I have not seen NCs showing the same potential for aging and the prices reveals this even more.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough for me to even get through an NC anymore. There a few exceptions but for me Cubans are where its at.

JNT

The Bull
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
CC are king. There are good NC's, but I find I have to go in the price range of an Opus to get that guaranteed good cigar. In that case I just stick with cubans.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
CC are king. There are good NC's, but I find I have to go in the price range of an Opus to get that guaranteed good cigar. In that case I just stick with cubans.
My thoughts exactly. IMHO there aren't many NC sub $10 that are guaranteed to be fantastic... There is a few but not many. I just find myself grabbing for a CC vs NC 90% of the time..

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
the c vs the nc ...
no fair , one against the rest of the world?

c wins by a mile in terms of cost to potential taste ratio
but overall, nc outright wins on b&m availablity and the trading w/commies issue

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
If you want pure strength, Nicaraguan cigars win hands down. But for strength & complexity I'll take a Cuban. I'll sometimes smoke a Tatuaje Noella, but they cost twice as much as the same sized Cuban cigar.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0

I understand what you are saying about good priced NC's and agree there are many cigars out there that people enjoy priced like that. But I think your statement of comparing the top of NC's to the bottom of CC's is way off base.

The bulk of CC smokers consider their staples in the $6-$7 range discussed. All of these are in the $6-$7 range for the most part... PSD4, Bolivar RC, RASS, H.Upmann Conn #1, Mag 46, Monte #3, Trinidad Coloniales, Juan Lopez #1 & #2, ERDM Choix Supreme. I can even buy Boli BF at $7 per.

That list doesn't include any of the PC's that are $4-$5 that many people buy and love like the PLPC, Boli PC, Party Shorts, Monte #4, RASCC etc, etc.

Sure there are some very high end CC's like Esplendidos, SW's, other Cohibas etc, but a lot of buying comes from the group I listed above I'm willing to bet and those are far from the bottom of CC's.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I enjoy both Cuban and non-Cuban cigars.

Prior to 15-20 years ago they were probably the best, but the non-Cuban market has made so many advances in the past couple decades that they quickly caught right up. I prefer non-Cubans based on the selection, but I do enjoy Cubans.

My buddy loves Cubans now and says hes giving up non-Cubans. I could never do that. For ever good Cuban you name I could prob name 10 good non-Cubans.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have enjoyed too many NC to simplify my tastes to Cuban or Noncuban. I know I like Full Flavor and lots of body.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think Cuba has the best tobacco to work with making it possible to produce some epic cigars. I really like GOF and some other cigars from Fuente but the best NC I have smoked does not stand a chance to the best CC.

Now I don't think it is right when some says there is not one better than the other but just what you prefer, I have all the respect for someone that prefers a NC and say they like that taste better. But IMO the Cuban tobacco is the best. I think people like MRN would know if an NC had the same potential as a CC.

I think one proof of this is the vintage market, CCs have potential to develop so much but I have not seen NCs showing the same potential for aging and the prices reveals this even more.
I think the vintage market for CC's is due to lack of full fermentation of the tobacco. They are soooooo green when first Rolled and boxed that they need almost a year of sleep to become smokeable. The NC market makes smokes more to be enjoyed right now compared to 5 years from now. It's like the difference between old world and new world wines- the new world is made to drink now. But I do agree that leaf quality and flavor is the best in Cuba. They would be much better if they had the production under NC manufacturers.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I understand what you are saying about good priced NC's and agree there are many cigars out there that people enjoy priced like that. But I think your statement of comparing the top of NC's to the bottom of CC's is way off base.

The bulk of CC smokers consider their staples in the $6-$7 range discussed. All of these are in the $6-$7 range for the most part... PSD4, Bolivar RC, RASS, H.Upmann Conn #1, Mag 46, Monte #3, Trinidad Coloniales, Juan Lopez #1 & #2, ERDM Choix Supreme. I can even buy Boli BF at $7 per.

That list doesn't include any of the PC's that are $4-$5 that many people buy and love like the PLPC, Boli PC, Party Shorts, Monte #4, RASSC etc, etc.

Sure there are some very high end CC's like Esplendidos, SW's, other Cohibas etc, but a lot of buying comes from the group I listed above I'm willing to bet and those are far from the bottom of CC's.
You're exactly right as well, Aloha, it was unfair of me to say those are "bottom of the line" CC's. I've had a bottom of the line CC... pretty damn bad, heh. But, at least from what I see, those prices are a little misleading. Unless you're in the "know" with somebody, getting those cigars shipped over to us adds quite a fair bit to the cost.

But, when we get down to it, I think most of us are agreeing, we're just getting to the same place down different roads. :)

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
I think the vintage market for CC's is due to lack of full fermentation of the tobacco. They are soooooo green when first Rolled and boxed that they need almost a year of sleep to become smokeable. The NC market makes smokes more to be enjoyed right now compared to 5 years from now. It's like the difference between old world and new world wines- the new world is made to drink now. But I do agree that leaf quality and flavor is the best in Cuba. They would be much better if they had the production under NC manufacturers.
oh my, lady, such a good point right there! a lot of the cost in the NC has to do with the leaf and rolled aging. not SURE how CCs would fare with NC production (or rather post production) methods, but i would love for someone to be able to try.

mostly because i suck down too much coffee to truly be patient. o)

Herfin' Harg

BoM March 2012
Rating - 100%
142   0   0

I was nodding right along with you... til you hung yourself with "Cain" and "Alec Bradley"! :sarcastic

smelvis

Not part of the clique
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Maybe if Cuba had the capacity to warehouse ten years worth of tobacco we could compare tit for tat otherwise it's impossible to compare. Sadly that will never happen:)

This topic has never changed always the same old arguments at least a polite crowd that's cool :)