What's new

Are Cuban cigars really the best?

Are Cuban cigars really the best?

• Yes, Cuban cigars are the best.

Votes: 71 22.5%
  • No, Cuban cigars are over-rated.

Votes: 32 10.2%
  • I enjoy both Cuban and non-Cuban cigars.

Votes: 189 60.0%
  • I have never smoked a Cuban.

Votes: 23 7.3%
  • Other, see my post.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly the Cuban thing I believe is the mystic and taboo of acquiring something not legal some are good others well. Let's just say I think its overrated however enjoy them from time to time jus saying

Ron Skora
I always love hearing this argument, maybe it could be true for some blowhards who pick up a few (likely fake) Cubans to be "seen" with them, but for experienced BOTLs here, I find that statement to be fairly ridiculous.

Smoke what you like, like what you smoke.
Like icehog said i love this argument. The issue I have with this argument is that it only applies if you're in the United States. Please show me a forum outside of one in the US that is dedicated to non cuban cigars. Good luck with that. I can show you plenty of forums dedicated to habanos outside of the US.
Apart from GC, davidoff and some Fuente stuff, not much of NC production is really obtainable outside of US, at least not in b&ms.

Moreover, the average non-US customer is most likely not informed of the latest NC offerings (LP, padron, etc), and the attitude of both vendors and buyers is why bother with the unknown if we have legal acces to CCs.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I've hardly smoked enough Cubans to have any kind of opinion. I do enjoy both, maybe NC a little bit more just because they are easier to obtain.. For me anyway.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Mostly the Cuban thing I believe is the mystic and taboo of acquiring something not legal some are good others well. Let's just say I think its overrated however enjoy them from time to time jus saying

Ron Skora
I always love hearing this argument, maybe it could be true for some blowhards who pick up a few (likely fake) Cubans to be "seen" with them, but for experienced BOTLs here, I find that statement to be fairly ridiculous.

Like icehog said i love this argument. The issue I have with this argument is that it only applies if you're in the United States. Please show me a forum outside of one in the US that is dedicated to non cuban cigars. Good luck with that. I can show you plenty of forums dedicated to habanos outside of the US.
Apart from GC, davidoff and some Fuente stuff, not much of NC production is really obtainable outside of US, at least not in b&ms.

Moreover, the average non-US customer is most likely not informed of the latest NC offerings (LP, padron, etc), and the attitude of both vendors and buyers is why bother with the unknown if we have legal acces to CCs.
I would disagree with this. I belong to a few international forums and their is awareness and availability of the better nc brands. The major vendors have been carrying nc's as of late as well.
It all comes down to what you like- not what we all think is going out there in the rest of the world and trying to justify our own choices and preferences. I think all of these topics come back to the quote "smoke what you like" each and every time.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I just picked up some cc's , Monte Opens and Cohiba Siglos and let me tell you the Monte's taste like shit and the Siglos kicks ass. CC's are just like any other cigar some good some not so. I enjoy both and favor neither.
I hope somebody didn't recommend the opens.. Most people will say they suck! Should of hot some 4's or 2's instead.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Ron Skora

I would disagree with this. I belong to a few international forums and their is awareness and availability of the better nc brands. The major vendors have been carrying nc's as of late as well.
It all comes down to what you like- not what we all think is going out there in the rest of the world and trying to justify our own choices and preferences. I think all of these topics come back to the quote "smoke what you like" each and every time.
I'm sure you didn't mean to come off as condescending and hopefully I don't as well. I'm not justifying what I like based off "what we all think is going out there in the rest of the world". Ron made the rather condescending statement (with no intentions of doing so I'm sure) that main reason people like cubans is because of the taboo/mysticism of them. I was making the point that foreign based forums (where there is no mysticism/taboo effect) are focused on CCs. Sure they are "aware" of the top brands and even enjoy some of them but the focus is on CCs. If someone can show me otherwise I'd love to see it.

I completely agree with the "smoke what you like, like what you smoke saying" but it seems like most of the time people say this what they really mean is... smoke what I like, like what I smoke. Your statement, "not what we all think is going out there in the rest of the world and trying to justify our own choices and preferences" makes assumptions that aren't fair considering we've never even spoken.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always an interesting debate on one of the eternal and most loaded forum questions.

It's difficult to come up with anything new to say but I really think that the only way you can legitimately respond to such a wide ranging question is if you have a wide ranging experience with both Cubans and Non cubans - not just a few Monte Opens or a few Padron 2000's.

I know the car brand analogy has been used before - Ford or Mercedes, Dodge or subaru? - but without driving every car in either line (and then stating what your judging criteria is, along with how much of a factor price plays into the equation etc etc) it is not really fair to answer. How can you evaluate a top of the range SL against a ford focus?
But that is more like asking, which is better (Cuban) Montecristo or Drew estate. A number of people here love the Liga's but look down from on high at anyone with an acid. A lot of Monte smokers would not entertain any of the Open series and would much prefer a Liga #9 . And on and on...

This question is more like asking German or American cars and that's an extremely wide range. A lot of people will refer to or rely on gut instinct and that's really all you can do in this situation. Of course, if you have driven MOST American cars and MOST German cars you will have a more informed opinion based on a wide range of experience. But in the end, it's still just an opinion.

I could not comprehend attempting to answer this question having only smoked a few cigars from one or other of the countries involved.

Personally, I have smoked sticks from most current Cuban marca's (as has been pointed out, they have significantly fewer) and a large number of NC's too (both of them aged and fresh). My collection started out as 80-90% NC and, over a few years, has now become 65-70% Cuban. I still smoke both regularly and hope to do so until I cannot smoke any more BUT, if I was told I had to choose only one country's smokes for the rest of my life I would pick Cuba. Personal preference, based on smoking what I have smoked, no more no less.

I couldn't tell anyone which was best, only what is best for me.

Nicaragua or Dominican anyone?? :ninja:

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very well said Nicko. My collection has done the same thing. I started at 100% NCs, mostly from the DR, then it has slowly transitioned to where it is now, roughly 80% CCs. Still smoke NCs although it's mostly Nicaraguans (Tats, DE) now.

KPP

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I'm sure you didn't mean to come off as condescending and hopefully I don't as well. I'm not justifying what I like based off "what we all think is going out there in the rest of the world". Ron made the rather condescending statement (with no intentions of doing so I'm sure) that main reason people like cubans is because of the taboo/mysticism of them. I was making the point that foreign based forums (where there is no mysticism/taboo effect) are focused on CCs. Sure they are "aware" of the top brands and even enjoy some of them but the focus is on CCs. If someone can show me otherwise I'd love to see it.

I completely agree with the "smoke what you like, like what you smoke saying" but it seems like most of the time people say this what they really mean is... smoke what I like, like what I smoke. Your statement, "not what we all think is going out there in the rest of the world and trying to justify our own choices and preferences" makes assumptions that aren't fair considering we've never even spoken.
I've read this twice now....

and it still makes no sense to me. Perhaps it's cuz I'm still hungover.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't this a bit like asking if chocolate or vanilla cupcakes are better? Or Coke versus Pepsi?
Chocolate for sure and Pepsi. :)
I agree with the chocolate but Dr. Pepper! I guess I don't get the whole cc thing...cause I have never been impressed with any cc that I have ever had. I've had Cohiba, Romeo y Julieta, and a few others. They were good but lacked that wow factor that just blew my socks off or was worth going to jail for or getting a hefty fine. Imho...ymmv!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

Rating - 95.7%
24   1   0
a lot of times people itt are comparing mid range CC's to mid range NC's and that's fine they might be comparable, NC's might even be better at that range. that being said, the elite CC's are so vastly superior to the elite NC's it's not even really close. I had my first Cohiba Sublime friday night and there is no NC that was ever produced or that will ever be produced that will come close to being on the level that cigar was on, it was like a religious experience.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
a lot of times people itt are comparing mid range CC's to mid range NC's and that's fine they might be comparable, NC's might even be better at that range. that being said, the elite CC's are so vastly superior to the elite NC's it's not even really close. I had my first Cohiba Sublime friday night and there is no NC that was ever produced or that will ever be produced that will come close to being on the level that cigar was on, it was like a religious experience.
Dave-

I had read that you were planning on trying the Sublimes, and was wondering how you liked it. How about writing a review? Very interested in the complexity and overall "feel" of the cigar.

Rating - 95.7%
24   1   0
Dave-

I had read that you were planning on trying the Sublimes, and was wondering how you liked it. How about writing a review? Very interested in the complexity and overall "feel" of the cigar.
I will do a review when I smoke my second one. I wasn't paying as much attention to the cigar as it deserved because I was with a group of friends watching the Knicks.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
sadly, I have also never had a cuban cigar.

Actually, let me re-state that. REAL cuban. When I went to Jamaica for my honeymoon a few shops had romeos and cohibas. suprisingly, the cohiba had an embossed band and proper color.... except the number of white squares. (heres your dagger!) even though it was a fake, it really wasnt a bad smoke... costed me $8. further with MORE irony, I smoked it as hurricane sandy made its way over the island.

Someday when I get back out of the states I'll get myself a Cuban cigar.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
CC' are without a doubt the best hands down!

Why do you see Dominicans/Nicaraguan etc.. with cigar names like habano?

You don't see CC's with names like Nicaragua, or dominican.

There's a reason for that!..

Slidzero

Belicoso Brother
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
CC' are without a doubt the best hands down!

Why do you see Dominicans/Nicaraguan etc.. with cigar names like habano?

You don't see CC's with names like Nicaragua, or dominican.

There's a reason for that!..
Wow

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD