What's new

Arghhh mold and not Fuentes

GWN

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Just got a box of Cusano 18 paired maduros and about half the stick have a slight mold issue. Don't want to waste em and returning them ain't possible unless I buy a $500 plane ticket. They're in a new humi all by themselves for now. Should I:
a) remove the cello and wipe them all down with something
b) leave the cello on to slow things down

I assume I shouldn't put any more cigars in the humi to prevent the spread.

Still smoke fine and taste great. Just don't know how long I want to sacrifice a 150-count humi worth of space to what is now 17 sticks.

Also, should I do something to the humi once the sticks are gone?

any advice is appreciated.
J

architeuthis

I see what you're doing!!
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Definitely clean it off each cigar! You can use a cloth with a touch of distilled water if it doesn't brush off with a dry cloth. After cleaning them keep them separated from the rest of your stock, do not put back in cello, leave them in a lower RH if possible and check them once per week. If no recurrence of mold is evident after a month or so, they're probably safe to store for aging or whatever. Just keep them separated from the rest of your stock if possible.

I'm very soon going to be the absolute "Mold Expert" in these parts. See Squid's Mold Experiment.

GWN

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
All sticks wiped down and cello tossed. Came off with a dry cloth. Humi is around 55 and nothing else in the box. Guess I know what I'll be smoking for the next couple of weeks. Thanks for the advice.
J

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Ok guys WTF is going on here, seems every couple day someone is getting mold, is it the weather?? shipping?? storage at the company?? I'm feeling a lil uneasy about buy ANY cigars right now....I did just order for Holts, so I'll see whats up.......... I Know it Is globel warming, Maybe Gore is right..

architeuthis

I see what you're doing!!
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Ok guys WTF is going on here, seems every couple day someone is getting mold, is it the weather?? shipping?? storage at the company?? I'm feeling a lil uneasy about buy ANY cigars right now....I did just order for Holts, so I'll see whats up.......... I Know it Is globel warming, Maybe Gore is right..
It's got to be storage at the retailer, or the manufacturer's facilities. I wonder how many of the reported sticks are from a common storage shed?

GWN

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My sticks were bought at a Dallas B&M Thursday and carried on a plane back here to Canada Friday. I cracked the box yesterday. Figured if anything they'd be a tad dry. My feeling is the B&Ms or a warehouse along the way are keeping conditions too moist. Interesting that like the Fuentes, Cusanos are Dominicans too.

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Another rookie ?.....
So if freezing keeps out and kills bugs, is there a way to recondition or something like keeping in a tupadore for a couple weeks or something after getting a order of the truck ?? Is this mold happening in the Refer Humi/Wine refers???.....I'm just looking for a way to keep my investment good....I don't have as or hardly as much as some of u guys

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I think that while the warmer conditions for the last 2 years did a number to the crop that was fermenting. It's quite possible that it all started back on the farm instead of the B&M's and warehouses.

The problem is too widespread to be isolated to a single source after the farm. I'm sure it wasn't moldy when the rollers had it in thier hands but the spores were more than likely already present at that point.