What's new

Around the world in 80 Meals

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Round 6 of Around the World , we actually did this a few weeks ago just before the Volcano erupted, just haven’t got round to posting yet. This time we went to Guatemala!

For starters we had basic sweet baked plantains. It’s literally baked banana but pretty good to be honest.

For main we had the countries signature dish, Pepian chicken. This was an interesting potato and choko based soup with a juicy grilled chicken thigh, interesting flavours with tomatillos, sesame seeds, blending, straining then adding the veges.

For dessert we had Rellenitos De Plátano (which is basically chocolate flavoured black beans coated in boiled banana and fried in oil) pretty interesting flavor to!

I actually forgot to get a photo of dessert so forgive me for using internet photo but they looked just like this.

Adiós Amigos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Round 6 of Around the World , we actually did this a few weeks ago just before the Volcano erupted, just haven’t got round to posting yet. This time we went to Guatemala!

For starters we had basic sweet baked plantains. It’s literally baked banana but pretty good to be honest.

For main we had the countries signature dish, Pepian chicken. This was an interesting potato and choko based soup with a juicy grilled chicken thigh, interesting flavours with tomatillos, sesame seeds, blending, straining then adding the veges.

For dessert we had Rellenitos De Plátano (which is basically chocolate flavoured black beans coated in boiled banana and fried in oil) pretty interesting flavor to!

I actually forgot to get a photo of dessert so forgive me for using internet photo but they looked just like this.

Adiós Amigos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very nice, brother!

The Munt

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
@The Munt I see you're saving America for when you're feeling lazy and low on time. heres a chili dog. yaaaaaaay americaaaaa....
I’m actually pretty jealous of you guys and the food you have on hand, to be honest I’m glad I don’t though, if it wasn’t such a mission to get near a fast food place I’d be big as a house, due to my all or nothing take on everything. And penchant for addiction. What would your 3 course American Meal be Jake? I could use some ideas.

squaresoft

It's dangerous to go alone, take this.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I’m actually pretty jealous of you guys and the food you have on hand, to be honest I’m glad I don’t though, if it wasn’t such a mission to get near a fast food place I’d be big as a house, due to my all or nothing take on everything. And penchant for addiction. What would your 3 course American Meal be Jake? I could use some ideas.
huh...the problem with america is that most of the food we eat is just other countries food that our grandparants brought over as immigrants.

I think the best option would probably be southern BBQ or northerneastern seafood

so like for BBQ you could do for an app maybe buttermilk fried pickles and green tomatoes with chipotle ranch (shuddercringe) dipping sauce. for entree some brisket with Mac n cheese, coleslaw and cornbread. for dessert some banana pudding in mason jars or pureed watermelon popsicles.

NE seafood could just be like some raw oysters or clam chowder boston or new england style, a lobster boil, and maybe some boston cream pie

edit: disclaimer, im sure the western end of the US has some great regional specialties, im just not from/havent been there so I dont know them.

squaresoft

It's dangerous to go alone, take this.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I dunno, I imagine you'd get tired of fast food pretty quick, especially since you know how to cook real food. Home cooked is always better than the drive through (y)
the problem is that so many americans find themselves during the work day with 30 minutes to find something to eat and not alot of money to spend, so that 4 for $4 at the wendys down the street starts to look mighty convenient.

The Munt

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
the problem is that so many americans find themselves during the work day with 30 minutes to find something to eat and not alot of money to spend, so that 4 for $4 at the wendys down the street starts to look mighty convenient.
Yeah I'm hearing that mate... I took long service leave for the first 3 months of this year and got fitter than ever... then I had my honeymoon in Bali for 7 solid days drinking and eating and I was back to my old self hahaha.
But yeah it's too easy to grab processed garbage when your working!

I dunno, I imagine you'd get tired of fast food pretty quick, especially since you know how to cook real food. Home cooked is always better than the drive through (y)
That is true mate.. I'd still love to visit though and just be a hedonist for a week or two.. going from BBQ joint to fast foods we don't get here. Just get it out of my system you know? :)

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I'd still love to visit though and just be a hedonist for a week or two.. going from BBQ joint to fast foods we don't get here. Just get it out of my system you know? :)
LOL, I hear ya bro, I've been thinking about taking my kiddo up to Chicago for a weekend sometime just to pig out on pizza and hot dogs and such - only a 4-5 hour drive, and so much food that I can't get here...

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
There's been a bistro revolution in the U.S. For the last 20 years. So many amazing little places with good chefs doing unique fusion foods. I used t work for a chef who combined Provençal with southern U.S. Styles. His specialty was a salami cured duck club with applewood smoked bacon and tomato jam.
But people are passionate about BBQ, so many variations and styles.
In the south we will bread and fry almost anything.
And a ton of regional seafood styles. Lobster rolls, crab cakes, chowder in the north east. Tuna , snapper, grouper, clams , mussels, etc all along the coast. Stone crab.
New Orleans gumbo, jambalaya, red beans and rice.
And of course southern green beans that cause arousal... ;)

The Munt

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Well Well Well here we go again.

Tonight Bangladesh..

Entree: Bengali Niramish Khichuri
Potato is the hero, not normally a vego guy but this was delish!
BA332498-C9B0-4970-8AF5-BA85393C8DCC.jpeg

Main: Bengladeshi Beef Bhuna
Savage curry! Truly nice.
3EAFDF5B-8EC0-4609-A311-A05AB43061E4.jpeg

And finally hand swirled Jilapi doughnuts in Saffron Syrup with ice cream.
AE5BCEB6-268B-4EA1-828B-5754C888EFE1.jpeg

Happy wife happy life… I almost have enough points for another week of hunting now.