What's new

Arrogant Bastard?

JLB

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
So I walked into a gas station today, (more of a convenience store) and saw that they had a craft beer exchange. You can buy the growler and they fill it with a beer of your choice. I saw that they had Arrogant Bastard and knew I had heard of it from somewhere. Well, I think it was here. I am interested in getting a little deeper into the world of beer, especially for cigar pairing purposes and such. I think im going to get a growler of this and see what the hell is up with it. Here is the list of what they have this month:

1.Stone Arrogant Bastard
2.Custom Brew Crafters Spring Ale
3.Samuel Adams Summer Ale
4.Angry Orchard Crisp Apple Cider
5.Wolavers Oatmeal Stout
6.Smuttynose Big A
7.Otter Creek Stove Pipe Porter
8.Goose Island IPA
9.Flying Dog Snake Dog

Any other ones recognizable? Recommendations? I know its all based on your own tastes, but just wondering what everyones thoughts were. Thanks fellas! :bottle:

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I'm only framiliar with the Stone brewery & the Sam Adams from the selections you posted. I'd deffinatly give tge Stone AB a try.They make very good brew IMO.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
stone arrogant and ruination are on my list of "i miss drinking because of x" list, stone makes good isht! not a huge beer geek score across all ten taps, but surely a good showing. try any, but try the stone first!

mthhurley

BoM December 2011
Rating - 100%
208   0   0
So I walked into a gas station today, (more of a convenience store) and saw that they had a craft beer exchange. You can buy the growler and they fill it with a beer of your choice. I saw that they had Arrogant Bastard and knew I had heard of it from somewhere. Well, I think it was here. I am interested in getting a little deeper into the world of beer, especially for cigar pairing purposes and such. I think im going to get a growler of this and see what the hell is up with it. Here is the list of what they have this month:

1.Stone Arrogant Bastard
5.Wolavers Oatmeal Stout
6.Smuttynose Big A
8.Goose Island IPA
9.Flying Dog Snake Dog

Any other ones recognizable? Recommendations? I know its all based on your own tastes, but just wondering what everyones thoughts were. Thanks fellas! :bottle:
AB is very solid. Smuttynose and Goose IPA are good.
Pretty sure I've had Flying Dog, but can't remember, so that can't be a good indication.
Sam Summer is a good summer beer from the big guys.

JLB

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Good gas station. :thumbsup:

Haha, thats what I thought! Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I will make a trip to get one of these tonight. I will report back what I think. I f I like it, I hope they keep it around. This is the first ive seen of it here in NY.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0

1.Stone Arrogant Bastard
5.Wolavers Oatmeal Stout
6.Smuttynose Big A
8.Goose Island IPA
9.Flying Dog Snake Dog

Arrogant Bastard is a good choice if you're into Strong Ales.
Sam Adam's Summer Ale has been around forever, and its decent, the 'Grains of Paradise' definitely adds a certain character but I'm afraid overall its fallen out of style considering the explosion of microbrews.
Goose Island IPA is very good for a strong IPA. I've had it during my travels and have enjoyed it a lot. The midwestern booys who have easier access to it might be more familiar with it.

Flying Dog is the only one on your list that I've had but haven't warmed up to. Something about it just didn't do it for me. A lot of their beers fall under that descriptor, actually.

Regards,
Randy

Herfin' Harg

BoM March 2012
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
I'm a big fan of AB... I like Flying Dog, too, but the Snake Dog (their IPA) isn't the beer to judge the brewery on, really.

Their regular pale is a fantastic everyday pale (think Sierra Nevada but richer in body and a bit more syrupy mouthfeel), and their Double Dog (imperial IPA, compare to DFH 90 minute) is outstanding. I also like their In-Heat Wheat Hefe for summer beer. Lot of sweet fruit/citrus like the germans, but doesn't have much of that yeasty-naynay character. I hate bananas. Don't even like to be in the same room with them.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Stone AB is good. Oaked AB is better. Dry-hopped AB is best... keep your eyes peeled.

On a side note: AB was Stone's original flagship, and was the only beer available in 22ozs for a long time. Prior to Lee Chase (who no longer works there) convincing stone to start brewing IPAs (and subsequently aiding in the creation/popularizing of the American IPA style), most people were first introduced to Stone Brewing through AB. After Lee made the IPA and followed it with the Ruination around 2003/2004 (which, along with Pliny, started the IIPA craze out west), everyone around these parts forgot about AB...

So by starting your Stone journey with AB, you are taking a path reminiscent of those of us who were fortunate enough to be around Stone when it was operating out of a single bay of a warehouse in suburban San Diego.