What's new

Arturo Fuente Exquisitos Maduro

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Yesterday on my way home from work I had a little time to kill so I decided to swing by the local B&M to peruse the selection. Walked away with a few things I haven't had, a few favorites, and a punch (been wanting to try one and there were some cheapies on the counter...sold). One of the cigars I picked up was an Arturo Fuente Exquisitos with a Maduro wrapper. They were tucked away in a corner and I almost missed 'em. $2.25 was the price tag so I had to try 'em.

Upon pulling the cigar from the cellophane my nose was greeted with a slightly sweet, barnyard aroma. Also got just enough of a cedar aroma to say I think it was there, but not enough to actually confirm cedar. Appearance wise this cigar will not win any beauty contests. The dark Maduro wrapper has some veins, which on a larger cigar might not look so big, and a large fold in the wrapper near the cap. The closed foot is a nice touch though. Doesn't feel under filled.

The cap cut easily. Draw was spot on. The cold draw flavors were a little hard to describe. Sort of a rich tobacco and slight Maduro flavor with a hint of spice on the finish. It had me thinking that if the cigar were maybe just a little larger I could grasp what was going on just a little better. Pushed the button on the Ronson and away we go...

Initially there is a significant peppery quality to the smoke, but that soon subsides and I was left with a typical Madruo flavor that faded into a rich tobacco with some floral-like flavors to it. Through the nose I would get a nice coffee aroma. The burn on the first third swayed between sharp and razor sharp. The ash didn't hold very long, but upon researching later I realized these are short filler cigars so you're not going to end up with a massive ash. That said it didn't crumble or anything, it clumped nicely.

Going into the second third and the coffee I was getting through the nose has become a little more creamy. Also the floral flavors aren't as strong and have begun mixing with a spiciness...something akin to cinnamon perhaps. The burn is still rocking strong. The smoke production from this cigar rivals that of cigars much larger! Strength wise, this isn't a mild cigar (come on, it's a Fuente for crying out loud) and it let me know it. I'd neglected to eat lunch and was starting to feel it a bit in my stomach :blush:. The heat probably didn't help, but it's a potent little sucker. Guzzled a coke real quick and was back on track though.

Final third... nubbin it cause you lovin' it! The burn in the last third required a few touch ups to keep things even, but nothing major and probably would have corrected itself. Flavors were pretty much the same except the coffee aroma though the nose was a little sweeter and instead of that Maduro profile I swear it was more of a walnut and graham cracker.

Overall for two bucks and some change, it was a great short smoke as long as you watch that you've eaten something. The fact that it's a short filler cigar may detract some people from it, but really they should give it a whirl. Gotta figure the Fuentes aren't using crap scraps to make these (though I haven't been able to track down what tobacco is in them).

Dan

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Great review and pics, Buggy!! I forgot to ask last night, how many of these did you pick up? I may have to go take a few more off their hands, so they don't let them mold! :skew:

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I pick up a few each time I'm at the B&M. They're great to take with me out to the grill. They're tasty.