What's new

Asylum Dragons Milk

Cigarth Vader

Official Jedi of BOTL.org
Retailer
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
Ok, a couple days late on this, but its better than nothing...so deal with it :D

Asylum Dragons Milk

Vitola: Double Corona
Size: 7" x 52
Strength: Full
Origin: Nicaragua
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Habano Maduro
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
MSRP: $17
Age/Rest: 1 week
Drink: Institution Ale Company 1-Year Anniversary Imperial Restraint

20141207-IMGP1288.jpg
The Dragons Milk is adorned by a milk chocolate brown reddish/brown wrapper with several small veins. There is a light to moderate amount of oils on the wrapper and it there is a little bit of tooth to the Habano wrapper. The Dragons Milk features a triple-cap, and overall, it has a very even tone and appearance.

To the touch it is well-filled, and the tobaccos underneath the wrapper have just enough room to rustle about and let me know that they're willing participants in tonights endeavor.

The foot of the cigar gives off a sweet aroma, and it instantly reminds me of the beer. Cocoa nibs, coffee, and tobacco. YUM!

A swift cut from my Xikar Xi1 cutter has the cap removed, and the dry draw is milk chocolate, tobacco, and dry leaves.

The draw is open and unrestricted, perhaps too open, but only time will tell.

Toasting the foot goes by effortlessly, and the initial draw gives me a huge amount of smoke that fills my palate with flavors of earth, pepper, and cocoa.

20141207-IMGP1290.jpg

Right off the bat there is an amazing amount of smoke coming off the foot of the cigar, and I quickly end up completely opening up my garage door. A neighbor walks by, and I can only imagine what they're thinking as I stand there, stogie in hand with clouds of smoke billowing out as if Cheech and Chong were hosting their reunion in my garage. I smile, wave, and head back to my chair.

Around the 1" mark, the smoke starts to get even thicker, and has a sweet, buttery cream note to go with it. As the first third continues to develop, I notice underlying tones of leather, earth, and a faint woody note.

Into the second third! Coffee with cream is the name of the game, still rich with flavor from the creamy smoke the earlier flavor profile continues without much fanfare. Suddenly, almost right at the halfway point, I get a massive blast of red pepper on the retrohale. Like, Kung Pao chicken red pepper. It instantly reminds me of the Chinese food I had for dinner the night before, and my eyes water as I try to see through the haze of smoke and the unexpected spicy retro. Taking another draw, the flavors are still the same as before, with the pepper slowly becoming more noticeable...I decide to stop retrohaling for a few minutes to give my sinus' a break. The burn up until now has been relatively straight, but suddenly it has decided it wants to start doing crazy things. 20141207-IMGP1294.jpg
20141207-IMGP1296.jpg
Moving through the second third, the profile is evolving- leather, unsweetened cocoa, and coffee note make up the majority of the profile as nuances of earth and pepper pop in and out.

Entering the final third of the cigar I get the hiccups. HICCUPS. So i'm taking my notes, drinking my be...HICCUP...er, and smoking my ci...HICCUP...gar. I'm able to power through and establish that the profile has changed some more, and is now cocoa on the front, with tobacco and earth on the middle of the palate, as a creamy finish punctuated by cedar long after the smoke is gone. I take a break be...HICCUP...cause I can't take a dr...HICCUP...aw with HICCUPING. >.<
20141207-IMGP1298.jpg

After about 15 minutes I regain my composure alongside control of my diaphragm. The remainder of the Dragons Milk is similar to the rest of the final third, and after about 2 hours (1hr45min of total smoking time), I nub the cigar and call it a night...and my Hiccups are back...again.

20141207-IMGP1302.jpg

Overall, it was a good cigar. I loved the pairing of this with my beer, and I think it would be exceptional with the Dragon's Milk Beer. It burned nicely to the halfway point, at which time it got kinda willy-nilly and I had to touch it up several times. The flavors were tasty, but seemed almost muted at times and I really had to concentrate to find them. The profile was well-balanced, and the strength was definitely full, the Nic hit from this will kick you if you're not paying attention. Smoke production was insane, and it just wanted to smoke itself.

Appearance and Construction: 15/15
Flavor Characteristics: 20/25
Smoking Characteristics: 22/25
Overall Impression: 30/35
Total: 87/100

I think that given several months of rest this good cigar will turn into a great cigar, and it could easily pick up a few points to get it over the 90 mark.

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Great review, now I want to smoke one of the ones I got.
Nice review CJ!

I recommend you smoke one now and then again at 2-3 months and then again at 6. This way you will really get an idea of how a cigar like this ages and morphs. If you don't try one ROTT, then you won't notice the transitions it goes through. Although in saying that, if you want a better tasting/performing stick, I'd just wait right out of the gate.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Nice review!This place is great. Learn something new every day.
One of my favorite breweries has an infused cigar?Wonder how they would compliment one another?
New Holland Brewery is right here in MI. The Dragon's Milk is nice with spicy/full bodied cigars.
Thanks!

Cigarth Vader

Official Jedi of BOTL.org
Retailer
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
Nice review!This place is great. Learn something new every day.
One of my favorite breweries has an infused cigar?Wonder how they would compliment one another?
New Holland Brewery is right here in MI. The Dragon's Milk is nice with spicy/full bodied cigars.
Thanks!
Time to work out a trade for a couple bottles of beer :D