What's new

At what point did you believe that you went from a newbie to a smoker of experience

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
I was gifted a Padron 80th from Twenty5 after about a year of smoking most of the stuff you buy from places like CI. That one cigar changed everything for me. It was at that point my taste in cigars changed. I have tried alot of cigars in the 4 years I've been smoking (everyday) and for me there is only a handfull of cigars I truely like. I would have to say, that at that point, you can call yourself a cigar snob.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I dunno, I guess I take a pretty simple view. I was definitely a newb when I smoked only those things that I was told I should like and then if I didn't, I thought there was something wrong with me-- inexperienced palate or whatever. In due course, I found the things that I did like, and I went out and bought 'em even if the conoisseurs turned up their noses. Nevertheless, a lot of those connoisseurs are pretty smart, and I've learned a lot from their recommendations and sensibilities. I'm always trying new things, logging it all so I don't forgoet what I've had, and simply enjoying the journey. "Experienced" is a continuum and we are all moving along it at our own pace.

Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Definitely still consider myself a noob and in one aspect of it I hope to always be one. I start to lose interest if I'm not learning. I feel that I can have a relatively intelligent conversation with some about cigars, maybe even recommend something based on my own experience. But the day I stop finding something new or interesting about cigars (or pipes) will be the day I quit smoking.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me a couple years to learn enough to know enough to feel like I understood what was going on. Trying different cigars and vitolas is important as is learning how to retrohale.
I agree with you guys. I've been smoking about 4 years but I put a lot of energy into cigars and soak up everything cigar related I can get my hands on. I think when you can pick out a new cigar you think you may like based on the type of tobacco thats in it your on your way to being an experienced smoker.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you light the wrong end of a stick: Newb
If you own a B&M: Veterano

Everything in between is where we find ourselves.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I smoked a couple per year over about 20 years, but over the last 4 years at least 2 a day (sometimes 4-5 a day). I smoke as many different kinds as I can get my hands on. I have a veracious appetite for cigar knowledge. My favorites change as my pallet changes. I realized I wasn't a newbie any more when I could hold my own talking with veteran and respected cigar smokers. Also when cigar smokers starting asking me about cigars.

When I sit smoking a cigar in a cigar store/lounge, I watch and listen to the employees interacting with other customers. I judge the B&M by what the employees know. Employees that know their product always gain my respect (and patronage). When I realized I was doing this, I also knew I wasn't a newbie anymore.

I know I will keep learning new things about cigars as there is a lifetime of knowledge out there.

whodeeni

the Cigar "Gangsta" ;0(
Rating - 96.4%
149   4   2
I used to think I know a lot about cigars until I started talking with manufacturers/brand owners.
Those guys know cigars & tobacco! I remember calling fumare, asking Dion a question and having
his answer blow me away! After I hung of the phone I said to myself: "Damn he really knows what
he's talking about!" Needless to say, I was humbled that day, and I'm always looking for my next
lesson.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
George Burns smoked between 10 and 15 cigars a day for 70 years. When I hit 70 years, maybe then.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I was gifted a Padron 80th from Twenty5 after about a year of smoking most of the stuff you buy from places like CI. That one cigar changed everything for me. It was at that point my taste in cigars changed. I have tried alot of cigars in the 4 years I've been smoking (everyday) and for me there is only a handfull of cigars I truely like. I would have to say, that at that point, you can call yourself a cigar snob.
I like that, I wouldn't say I am the most educated person in certain cigar aspects but I have smoked a lot of different sticks. I could probably consider myself a cigar snob, educated or not I know what I like And what I don't.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Depends, if it is just a matter the number of different brands/vitolas of cigars a person smokes then I would consider myself pretty experienced, but if you are talking being able identify the subtle nuances of every leaf used in a cigar or being able to identify different wrappers by looks, smell or flavor. Then I am still sitting at the kids table. I am in awe of the brothers that can do these things.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
George Burns smoked between 10 and 15 cigars a day for 70 years. When I hit 70 years, maybe then.
Everytime I think that I have passed a "corner" and moved up a level in my mind I meet people like Willy, Jose, and John who make me feel like a fetus in the world of tobacco and cigars. Maybe one day Ill be able to impart even an touch of wisdom to another smoker... but Im pretty sure ill spend the rest of my smoking days soaking up the knowledge of others.... and that is totally fine by me :computer:

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I haven't and don't think I ever will.

My palate can't distinguish the nuances that the reviewers can isolate. Mine is love it, rest it and try again or time for the compost heap.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I haven't and don't think I ever will.

My palate can't distinguish the nuances that the reviewers can isolate. Mine is love it, rest it and try again or time for the compost heap.
I can't detect many of the flavors in reviews either as I seem to have the palate of an iguana. However, if I use a good review as a reference while smoking, things tend to come together. Kockroach does some great reviews that are to-the-point and helpful. Others do excellent reviews as well. Gotta love the botl crew.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I realized the error of the expression "smoking," while spending time with a fine cigar; but instead began considering the experience an hour or so shared with the product of a concerted effort by various artists.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ask the friend who I just introduced into cigars, I am an expert.

Ask one of my smoking buddies, I am knowledgeable.

Ask a member here, I am new.

Ask my wife, it does not matter as long as I don't spend to much and always have the stick she likes in the humidor.

Ask one of the dogs, I am crazy that I make smelly smoke.

Ask me......I am a newbie until I stop learning. (Which should be never)