What's new

Atkins Diet

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Nope.

I have done the South Beach Diet. I lost 26 pounds in three months. It started slow and was challenging to keep up with but after the irst month it was rather easy.

This was last summer, July-September.

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
windowrx said:
Has anyone here tried the Atkins Diet?
Stay away from that diet. You need carbs, its your brains food and energy. Most people who go on it gan 110% of the weight back after they re-introduce carbs to their body.

THe best thing to do is count your calories, depending upon your height and weight you should be at a certain amount of cals per day. Stay away from sugar and salt i.e. regular soda, candy adding extra salt to your food.

Eat several meals a day so at the main meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) you don't over eat. Try having a bowl of cereal in the morning (kashi is very good), a protein bar in between breakfast and lunch then your lunch. around 3:30-4 have a small snack, then for dinner you can have pretty much anything just in a small portion.

Slammer

arf arf
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I tries it and after the first week or two it was pretty easy. I lost about 35 lbs. but ended up putting 20 of it back on and my Cholesterol went through the roof. I agree with Ashy count calories that is what I am doing now and it seems to be working great. 10lbs in the last 2 1/2 weeks

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have done a "modified" atkins...I would allow myself some carbs(like rice with dinner), no bread, no cake, no taters...no pasta...but again, my cholesterol went up and my liver enzymes went up also, but i was leaner...Now i'm on the anything and everything diet..

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've cut lunch down to a half sandwich, no soda (well maybe one every so often), running at lunch and getting the half sandwich or salad after (seems I'm less hungry), more water, more veggies.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
The wife and I did the SouthBeach Diet for a bit. We aren't really on it anymore but I've tried to incorporate some of the basic ideas from it. The basis of the diet really is a good one. In fact, it's kind of funny how the new dietary guidelines go along with alot of what the SB Diet says. For the most part, watch your intake of bad carbs (non whole grain, potatoes, etc.), watch your calorie intake and excersise (calories in/calories out, you really can't get away from it).

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have some extra weight but I'm not going to diet. The reason? Most of the diets remove something important. Even though you might lose weight (and most do), you take the risk of damaging your system one way or another. The reason most people are overweight is too much food and lack of exercise. I know all of the exceptions so don't think I'm being holier than thou.

What works best for the vast majority of people is increased excercise or activity and less intake of food. Especially junk food, pop, beer, etc. I need to lose about 20 pounds or so and that means I have to cut down on what I eat because my knees are bad and can't get too physical. The problem is, I love to cook and I love my cooking.

Speaking of bread... I LOVE fresh baked bread but I can't eat too much because of the acid reflux surgery I had a few years ago. Bread tends to get stuck in my esophagus. I don't have any problems with pasta or rice though so I'm not lacking any starch in my diet. :)

chipslave

Gonads and strife...
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I did the Body for Life for a while. Worked well as long as I stuck to it. The gist of it is to eat more often but smaller portions and more balanced meals. I was also exercising in the gym 6 days a week. I lost 15 lbs and felt great. I kept getting unbelieveable cravings for chocolate and the like...

I think I might have to give it a go again. I want to fit into my speedo soon... :eyequiver :headroll:

here is the website if you are interested in reading more about it:

www.bodyforlife.com

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I mainly (key word...hehe) eat about 40 carbs in the morning (30g of regular oats + carbs from milk) and the rest of the day I'll get in 5-10 carbs per meal. I eat about 4 meals and the rest are mainly green beans, romaine/red leaf lettuce, or broccali with some sort of protein (chicken, turkey, tuna). It worked really great for me when I was cutting last summer and had the TIME to go to the gym twice a day (morning cardio/afternoon workout).

I've really noticed that it's very hard to think/do anything when you're carb depleted. I'll be studying for a test and my mind will wonder off thinking of some kind of carbohydrate.