What's new

atlanta education system in trouble

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
unbelievable what is going on down there. the whole article is on the atlanta constitution journal. the jist is........

Across Atlanta Public Schools, staff worked feverishly in secret to transform testing failures into success.
.Teachers and principals erased and corrected mistakes on students’ answer sheets.

Area superintendents silenced whistle-blowers and rewarded subordinates who met academic goals by any means possible.

Superintendent Beverly Hall and her top aides ignored, buried, destroyed or altered complaints about misconduct, claimed ignorance of wrongdoing and accused naysayers of failing to believe in poor children’s ability to learn.

For years — as long as a decade — this was how the Atlanta school district produced gains on state curriculum tests. The scores soared so dramatically they brought national acclaim to Hall and the district, according to an investigative report released Tuesday by Gov. Nathan Deal.

In the report, the governor’s special investigators describe an enterprise where unethical — and potentially illegal — behavior pierced every level of the bureaucracy, allowing district staff to reap praise and sometimes bonuses by misleading the children, parents and community they served.

http://www.ajc.com/news/investigation-into-aps-cheating-1001375.html

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Actually the number of admissions of guilt are over 80. It's funny but I remember first reading about this last August at Mother Jones when it first broke and the thinking at that time was that the original investigation was going to be buried. Wonder why it took so long to finally make the news.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Damn. I can't read the article now (will later), but that is crazy. I work in the education system along with most of my in-laws and a lot of friends, and that is just terrible to hear.

CAJoe

King Dude
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
With how corrupt the education system is in the US this is no surprise. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if the Teachers union was in there helping them.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
With how corrupt the education system is in the US this is no surprise. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if the Teachers union was in there helping them.
My thought's exactly!! However there are a few teachers out there that do stand up and rise against this sort of thing. It's to bad really, the good teachers and well deserved administrators out there are getting harder and harder to find.