What's new

Atlantic Cigar data breach

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
I got the letter as well. Haven't purchased from them since 2014 and any card I may have used has been updated. Still disappointing, but that's the type of world we live in I guess. Unfortunately for Atlantic I'll be a little wary about using them again.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Well, I too received a letter about their breach, after I posted my little 2 cents here. I'm pretty sure I haven't purchased from them since they did the limited edition Talavera's and jars now some 2 years ago.

And now I might be a little more cautious about purchasing from them. Although, it can happen to any of the vendors at any given time though. Sad stuff to see and read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Got my note also , it has been Years since I ordered anything from them .....Just keep an eye on my acct.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an IT professional, this stuff happens. Doesn't mean their security sucks per say. Companies learn from this and usually end up fixing the problem quickly. This could have been something as simple as a phishing email that someone fell for. Watch your cards and charges for a while and notify your CC company. They may issue you a new card. And yes this is the world we live in.

And if you have the choice to "store" you CC data for future use please decline. May be a pain but it's safer.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
As an IT professional, this stuff happens. Doesn't mean their security sucks per say. Companies learn from this and usually end up fixing the problem quickly. This could have been something as simple as a phishing email that someone fell for. Watch your cards and charges for a while and notify your CC company. They may issue you a new card. And yes this is the world we live in.
And if you have the choice to "store" you CC data for future use please decline. May be a pain but it's safer.
Late 2015 I caught an unauthorized $350 charge "pending" on my bank card. Went down to the bank, and put the Kabash on that, immediately. Bank and I called Abbot Nutrition in Ohio (Plover Wi based chain) reporting it was an unauthorized transaction. Those clowns in Ohio actually were going to ship to an address in Canada from my card from another state. The charge was terminated, my bank card terminated and replaced to one with a new account . Problem over.....

Remarkably, They KEPT MY STOLEN ACCOUNT INFORMATION ON RECORD, and I was notified last week there was a breach. Thankfully, I already got screwed ( almost) by their lax ( nonexistent ? ) policies, and the number on record is no longer valid, from the first episode.

A.C.C. sounds like they got a bad break, but there's just as many clown operations out there.

Last edited:

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Late 2015 I caught an unauthorized $350 charge "pending" on my bank card. Went down to the bank, and put the Kabash on that, immediately. Bank and I called Abbot Nutrition in Ohio (Plover Wi based chain) reporting it was an unauthorized transaction. Those clowns in Ohio actually were going to ship to an address in Canada from my card from another state. The charge was terminated, my bank card terminated and replaced to one with a new account . Problem over.....

Remarkably, They KEPT MY STOLEN ACCOUNT INFORMATION ON RECORD, and I was notified last week there was a breach. Thankfully, I already got screwed ( almost) by their lax ( nonexistent ? ) policies, and the number on record is no longer valid, from the first episode.

A.C.C. sounds like they got a bad break, but there's just as many clown operations out there.
I had a charge from HSN (home shopping network) one time for $180 onot my debit card. My wife was a teller at the bank at the time, and caught it pending. I called them and told them about the fraudulent charges. They, at this point, still had the purchase in the warehouse, not yet shipped, but refused to cancel the transaction, and shipped it anyway. They told me to take it up with the cc company. Needless to say, I got belligerent with them after that, and told them THEY were part of the problem with fraud. In the end, they hung up on me, and I cancelled the card. Freaking thrives need to be strung up with a short rope, imo

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Like many of you I have made purchases at Atlantic in the past and received the letter yesterday. After reading the letter I feel somewhat better though since it does state that I have been automatically enrolled in the "All Clear" identity theft protection plan for 1 year. It gives me a number to call and a promise to correct my credit if my identity is stolen. It also gives me $1 million insurance policy should anything happen so although my information was compromised, Atlantic has done the right thing and is protecting me.

Actually this explains a little incident we had last summer. My wife got a call from a sporting goods company in Arizona, looking for verification that a charge was correct. Apparently someone was trying to use our credit card to purchase a high powered rifle scope to the tune of $1200+. We called the bank and shut it down and now I have a new credit card.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Received my letter a couple of days ago. I usually order from them about once a year since none of our site sponsors carry a certain box of cigars I enjoy. I have no idea what credit card I used, but I look over my bills closely. I'll update if I find any fraudulent charges.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Received my letter a couple of days ago. I usually order from them about once a year since none of our site sponsors carry a certain box of cigars I enjoy. I have no idea what credit card I used, but I look over my bills closely. I'll update if I find any fraudulent charges.
Go to your account at Atlantic and check your orders, it will show the CC info.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh boy....everything is being hacked these days and yesterday I think my TV winked at me. I think it's the B&M industry getting back at online sources these days or is it my paranoia kicking in again?