What's new

Austin area, Texas Whisky Distilleries?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Headed to Lockhart TX for a BBQ binge and plan to visit some of the distilleries in the area. Any recommendations on what not to miss? Planning on visiting Cypress Creek Rum, Milam and Greene, Garrison Brothers , and Desert Door Sotol. On the way home I'll stop at Kooper's Family Reserve and maybe Blend Cigar Bar. I know Rebecca's Creek is just outside of San Antonio but their hours aren't fitting my plans.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I know the whiskey tribe guys have mentioned some. They’ve got their own thing going there don’t they?

That iron root isn’t bad. The one garrison brothers I had impressed me more, but I think it was some specialty offering.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So you're a Magnificent Bastard? I thought about going by there but the reviews of the distillery where not particularly kind. That and if I visited it would take me day to get that damn "It's raining men" song out of my head.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Hahaha, No, I don’t think I am. Heard about the song, but don’t get the reference. Caught some good content from them, but cringe at a lot of it. .
I watch a good bit of bourbon junkies and some “it’s bourbon night”
None of them line up with my palate 100% but those are pretty close.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
where are you headed in from?

I went to school in Lockhart so I’ve had the bbq and while you should hit up some of the places in Lockhart, Austin has a few bbq places I prefer over anything in Lockhart. I know you were asking about distilleries but for Lockhart que I’d hit kruez and smittys, and also stop at chisolm trail just for the chopped beef “all the way”. It comes with Mayo, pickles, and onions. I know the Mayo might sound weird but just trust me. For Austin Terri blacks(not affiliate w/ Lockhart black), la bbq, stiles switch, and valentinas to name a few.
And if you just want cool atmosphere salt lick in driftwood(pork ribs are good but the rest is just okay or meh).

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@dumptruck81

Coming in from SE Louisiana so passing through Houston and camping in Lockhart and Blanco State Parks. To The Woodlands and a hotel room on the way home,

Thanks for the advice, I think I drive either right through or right by Driftwood on the way to Desert Door and Cypress Creek so I'll definitely stop by the Salt Lick.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@Glassman

Yea, I spent the first couple of weeks of their videos trying to figure out if they where just two flamboyant gay guys with a video camera and some spare time? "They seem to have calmed down a bit and are providing more content. I might stop in, the distillery isn't far from where I'll be.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cypress Creek Rum good, nice people
Milam and Greene they have a couple of Texas Whiskeys, most are imported
Real Ale, across the street, much better
Garrison Brothers over priced and the owner in not very friendly
Desert Door Sotol, really good often full of Austin posers
Rebecca's Creek just up the road from me, good stuff worth the visit.

Andalusia Whiskey Company not on your list, best in the area.
Treaty Oak Distilling a little out of the way, one of the bast.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Dunno if you’ve already made the trip and it’s a bit out of the way but Balcones in Waco has some good stuff. Might find a local liquor store that has some Balcones single malt. It’s not too shabby