What's new

Automatic vs. Quartz Watches

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
A quartz watch is cheaper and more accurate than a mechanical watch. A good mechanical watch can typically be made no more accurate than 2-3 seconds per day. Your typical inexpensive quartz is usually good to 0.5 seconds per day or better. But when you talk of mechanical watches, craftsmanship, aesthetic and tradition are the key attractions, rather than just accuracy! Because the wheel train of an analog quartz watch is not under constant stress from a wound mainspring, it does not need to be as finely finished, nor does it require painstaking skill and precision in assembly.

In respect to durability, a quartz watch is much better on shock resistance over the mechanical, but it is certainly not invulnerable. Low mass of the vital components helps protect them from shocks. The balance wheel's cap jewels, the balance staff, the rotor bearing (in an automatic) and various other parts of the escapement, especially cap jewels are the vulnerable parts in a mechanical watch. Moreover, a quartz watch has few moving parts, which implies, lesser friction and lesser wear and tear. Mechanical watches need to be maintained in good condition.

In terms of reliability, the mechanical watch has a history attached to its name and make. Though, this can be true of a quartz, the battery is a slip. Battery life is not predictable. A mechanical watch can withstand extreme temperatures, unlike a quartz watch.

Replacement parts for mechanical watches are available; you just need to make sure that they are original. But when it comes to age-old quartz watches, the batteries would have become obsolete, which means, that old quartz watches are just matter of memories.

Apparently, mechanical watches can last longer, provided they are taken care of and serviced well. Also, if in good condition, a mechanical watch has a lot of resale value, it is an asset. A quartz watch on the other hand features electronic circuitry that has a limited lifespan.

Bottom line — for just accuracy, go for a quartz, for quality, class, precision and historic value, go for a mechanical watch! And for some of you, who cannot decide, buy what you like to wear!

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I just made the leap to an automatic watch.

I love it. There is just something more classy about it. For example, the second (as in the hand that counts seconds) do not click like a mechanical, they slowly move.

I also like the fact that there is no more batteries to worry over. That said, if you wear the watch everyday you are fine, but if you take if off for 24hrs it will loos the momentum and you will have to reset it unless you buy a watch winder. I also understand it is not good for the automatics to have stop go use like this.

Skins is right though, just buy what you like and enjoy.

Post pics.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I'd go with an automatic they're more expensive but well worth it though the Eco-Drive series watches do intrigue me I think they're by Citizen.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
A quartz watch is cheaper and more accurate than a mechanical watch. A good mechanical watch can typically be made no more accurate than 2-3 seconds per day. Your typical inexpensive quartz is usually good to 0.5 seconds per day or better.
While this is true the biggest liability when it comes to owning a quartz as mentioned is the battery life. Much like our digital hygrometers these watches tend to be extremely inaccurate when the battery is running low and can lag from anywhere between 10 minutes to an hour.

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
I have a Seiko auto diver watch that I picked up in Udorn Thailand in 1971 that still works fine. Needs a new band though.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I'm not sure what brand I want just yet. Either it be luxury or just an everyday watch.

Posted via Mobile Device

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
How much were you looking to spend? They make couple hundred dollar autos that are nice all the way up to watches that cost as much as a car or even a house... lol

openendstraight

Grand Corona
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
My everday day watch is a Tag Heuer Carrera, and I have no problems with it. I also have a few Breitlings which are my favorites. In your price range Tags are probably your best option.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
I also have a couple Breitlings and absolutely love them, in that price range your best bet would be a TAG, great looking watches with a great company behind them. :yes:

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Give me a nice Luminox and I'm happy!

I own four of them and my favorite is the USAF Stealth with the metal bracelet.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
My everday day watch is a Tag Heuer Carrera, and I have no problems with it. I also have a few Breitlings which are my favorites. In your price range Tags are probably your best option.
I love the new Grand Carrera that thing is awesome but my favourite has to be the Monaco series I love the looks on that bad boy.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Yea I can't decide between a Tag, Omaga or Breitling
Posted via Mobile Device
If you are seriously looking at all 3, IMO the Breitling is the nicest / best quality etc. They are expensive but like anything you get what you pay for