What's new

Automatic vs. Quartz Watches

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
It did enter my mind. Now that I've been looking for a couple weeks. Might be between Tag or Omega
Posted via Mobile Device

e-man67

Benny Hill's Understudy
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I am kind of a watch freak...I only rock autos but keep in mind they can be expensive to service. Take for instance a Rolex Submariner (which is a classic, iconic dive watch) runs about $6K new but you can snag one used for about $3-$4k...however if you send it to Rolex for the 10 year service it will cost you $1k++ for a complete service. I have been through about 38 watches in the past year (I am a cronic flipper) and I have settle on one in the last few months. Take a look at Doxa if you are looking for a dive watch. They have mod ETA 2824 swiss automatic movements which are relatively inexpensive to maintain. The Doxa divers come in 42mm and 44mm and are tanks. I love mine. New they run $2400+ but you can snag a nice used one for $1200! You can always flip it if you buy used and not lose any $$$. Check out watchuseek.com they have many references, photos, and reviews. I know you will find something you like!

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I have the Tag Lynk and it keeps better time than my "status" watch. My fav is an Eddie Bauer. Just keeps going.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I cant afford to put a "timepiece" on everyday while in fire conditions and a back of a ambulance. That being said I have a Citizen Eco Drive that was 300 change and there are guys at work who are watch freeks and always comment on it. It also never needs a new battery, Perpetual calendar till year 2100. And so on. The only thing is the Bezel has seen a few war wounds in the last few years. Ill get it changed in another. For close to 3 bills I couldnt be happier. It even knows when it goes into "storage mode" in the box and can last 1.5 years before being recharged by the sun.
http://www.bluedial.com/bl8000-54l.htm

Last edited:

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I gotta agree, those Citizen Eco Drive watches are one heck of a watch for an extremely good price!

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I looked at Oris and like the bezel/styles I just don't like how the dial on the side sticks out with nothing protecting it. I definitely like the price rqange of them
Posted via Mobile Device

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
I cant afford to put a "timepiece" on everyday while in fire conditions and a back of a ambulance. That being said I have a Citizen Eco Drive that was 300 change and there are guys at work who are watch freeks and always comment on it. It also never needs a new battery, Perpetual calendar till year 2100. And so on. The only thing is the Bezel has seen a few war wounds in the last few years. Ill get it changed in another. For close to 3 bills I couldnt be happier. It even knows when it goes into "storage mode" in the box and can last 1.5 years before being recharged by the sun.
I too have an Eco-Drive & love it. Wouldn't mind getting another.

Though I'd like to get an Oris too... Or for that matter a Panari..

I actually tried one on while in Nassua, then I was told that the price was 14,000... I felt the ground move beneath my feet!!! (Just a bit out of my league!) Lol!

e-man67

Benny Hill's Understudy
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Panerai's are very nice but don't buy one new. The Submersible is my favorite of the line which is around 10k new...you can get them used for $3-$4K. My friend Chris bought a Pan 1950 better known as the fiddy used for $7800...I thought he was crazy...until a few years later retailers are selling for $30K! If you want a nice watch now is the time to buy!

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
There are great things about both. I have mostly auto's but also a few manual and quartz. Sometimes you just want a thinner watch then a mechanical watch will allow. There are other features in quartz watches like the ceramic rado's that are light weight and scratch proof. I am looking for a high accuracy citizen campanola right now that is accurate within 5 seconds a year without radio controll. How's that for a feat of engineering. The other thing I would say is don't limit yourself to swiss watches. I much prefer my seiko marinemaster pro to my omega seamaster. I also have a thing for sinn and anonimo as well. For a tough durable auto work watch my fav is Ball fireman nighttrain.

There are just too many options available.
Posted via Mobile Device