What's new

B&M Rant: Clueless Clerk

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Allow me to apologize in advance for this rant.
This evening my wife had to run some errands so I tagged along being the doting husband that I am (brownie points...). So at one of her stops I drop into a B&M which shall remain nameless (PM me offline if you want to know) to check out their inventory.

The shop itself was ok, it had a really nice smoking area with TV's, oversized chairs, and a poker table. The ventilation was really kinda bad, not something that changing the filters could not fix. Their inventory and the condition of the sticks were very good. Thy featured your normal smattering of offerings including some recent releases from Camacho, CAO, LFD and Padron and their prices (for California) were not bad at all.

Now here's the rant:

So after perusing and picking up a couple of sticks that I wanted to try, I made my purchase and was about to walk out. Then a guy walks in (college kid) and tells the guy that he is new to the hobby and he is looking for cigars. The guy walks through, picks up a couple of sticks and then turns to the clerk and asks "What can you tell me about this cigar?" To wit the clerk picks up this laminated profile sheet and starts to read from it word for word! He told the kid that the cigar "should taste like this" based on the wrapper. When the kid prodded for more information the clerk said "I dunno".

Not wanting to see this kid get turned off by this experience, I asked him a few questions to gauge his nicotine tolerance and to see what he was looking for. After telling me that he had never smoked a cigarette and that his friends told him to look for something with a Connecticut wrapper, I gave him a crash course so as to not overwhelm him and directed him to pick up a My Father Connecticut and a San Lotano Connecticut and to try them. I shared with him that he has to determine what he likes and not to let any magazine, blog or even what we say here on botl.org (I told him to check us out), sway him. Instead, smoke a number of sticks by different manufacturers and find what you like and remember if you decide to stick around, to share the share.

I plan on calling the owner of the shop tomorrow and letting him know that he needs to hire better or spend more time in the shop otherwise, what began as a worthwhile establishment, will turn into an afterthought.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
unfortunately it happens... Guys don't always know our hobby. But what can we do about it? def. would've upset me too.

I probably would've done the same thing to help them out.

shadowcam

BoM April '14
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
It's tough to find people who know about cigars as much as we do in general. Most b&m employees enjoy cigars but don't dissect every aspect of this hobby like the members here do. I've long given up talking cigars in detail at most shops. It ends up being a little frustrating that the other person doesn't know about a the cigar manufactor, the wrapper, filler, binder involved in a particular cigar, when the next new thing is coming out, what old stuff you should have smoked before trying that new thing, what the cost of each cigar is, the biography of the people who blended the cigar, knowing the cheapest vendor to buy it and having read at least 3 reviews on that cigar :) I got problems. Haha. So now when asked about a cigar I'm smoking, I just say if it's good or not. That's it.

Btw, i'm sure if I met someone in the manufacturing business he would look at me like I know nothing about cigars...

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I sadly saw that happen in similar fashion on my cruise last week. Apparently "robusto" is a flavor you can taste in cigars now and not the size or shape of it. Killed me to see this poor lady get swarmed by gift shop employees and their false knowledge of cigars. I tried to see her before they did but it was too late.....sorry I'm de railing.

If you're going to sell me something at least give me somewhat of a bit of truthful knowledge. That would've drove me nuts....

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I guess my opinion on this is at least the guy didn't lie or make things up. I have to believe it may be hard to find people with a great knowledge of cigars to work at a B&M and they may have needed the help and just hired someone who applied and seemed reasonably responsible. Perhaps it was his second day (week?) on the job and IS still learning. I wouldn't be too upset by this but good on you for jumping in and helping. Hopefully over time his cheat sheet becomes actual knowledge, but for now, if he is still learning, at least they are making a concerted effort to provide basic information and not lie to customers or misinform them with information pulled out of the sky on the spot.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
That's pretty common except for certain places.

Was at Two Guys one time asking about 11 Tat TAAs as I was buying the 12s and he said "there's no such thing as a Tat TAA 11." I told him I smoked it but he didn't believe me.

In a shop in CA, I saw a good number of Fuente stuff so I asked about 858 Sungrown and Anejos. After describing them he said "858s don't come in SG and Fuente doesn't sell any cigars with cedar on it." I could have gone in my car and gotten an example of what I wanted but did not.

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
its tough to say firsthand how and what a beginner can comprehend . way much moreso specific to lighter blends .
Because lets face it - lighter bodied blends generally blow - Im thinking for example macanudo & davidoff .

Its a process that really cant be curtailed . I went through my gurkha and cao phase . And look at me now , still fukin giving $0.02
on newb threads

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm spoiled, my guy at my B&M is always sporting the latest CH hat and knows a lot about everything! We've had some awesome conversations.

Good on you for stepping in man. Thing is, for 10 bucks an hour, you'll be hard pressed to find someone behind the counter who is as knowledgeable as us forum dwellers. Just the way of the world.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Allow me to apologize in advance for this rant.
This evening my wife had to run some errands so I tagged along being the doting husband that I am (brownie points...). So at one of her stops I drop into a B&M which shall remain nameless (PM me offline if you want to know) to check out their inventory.

The shop itself was ok, it had a really nice smoking area with TV's, oversized chairs, and a poker table. The ventilation was really kinda bad, not something that changing the filters could not fix. Their inventory and the condition of the sticks were very good. Thy featured your normal smattering of offerings including some recent releases from Camacho, CAO, LFD and Padron and their prices (for California) were not bad at all.

Now here's the rant:

So after perusing and picking up a couple of sticks that I wanted to try, I made my purchase and was about to walk out. Then a guy walks in (college kid) and tells the guy that he is new to the hobby and he is looking for cigars. The guy walks through, picks up a couple of sticks and then turns to the clerk and asks "What can you tell me about this cigar?" To wit the clerk picks up this laminated profile sheet and starts to read from it word for word! He told the kid that the cigar "should taste like this" based on the wrapper. When the kid prodded for more information the clerk said "I dunno".

Not wanting to see this kid get turned off by this experience, I asked him a few questions to gauge his nicotine tolerance and to see what he was looking for. After telling me that he had never smoked a cigarette and that his friends told him to look for something with a Connecticut wrapper, I gave him a crash course so as to not overwhelm him and directed him to pick up a My Father Connecticut and a San Lotano Connecticut and to try them. I shared with him that he has to determine what he likes and not to let any magazine, blog or even what we say here on botl.org (I told him to check us out), sway him. Instead, smoke a number of sticks by different manufacturers and find what you like and remember if you decide to stick around, to share the share.

I plan on calling the owner of the shop tomorrow and letting him know that he needs to hire better or spend more time in the shop otherwise, what began as a worthwhile establishment, will turn into an afterthought.
Gee whiz, if you care so much teach that kid some stuff instead of making a complaint to the bossman.

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
One big thing I noticed, he wasn't trying an upsell, he was trying to help.
I'm with a few of the other guys on this. Maybe the employee is still learning, you know, like we all did when we began this hobby. He could possibly not be as into cigars as us (that does happen). Maybe his "mentor" taught him all wrong. Shit, maybe he was just having a bad day.
My point? Who knows the reason behind his perceived ignorance. I do know that you would have more success speaking with the employee and offering your vast knowlege as opposed to calling his boss and telling on him.
But hey, your rant, I'm just dropping in with my view.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
This may be a little "oosah" moment for you and you did step aside and chat with the guy. I've been smoking for the better part of 30 years and a tobacconist for 5, and I'm still learning. Like quazy says, he didn't lie or more importantly make up anything. I see that all too often and just like any other retail business, its better to say "I'm not sure, let me look that up" rather than make something up. Its tough to find people who are knowledgeable to work in many shops as the pay isn't that great. So your really knowledgeable tobacconists are almost always in very established shops or the owner is just lucky to have come across an employee who is just really into tobacco as to WANT to know about the product in detail. I personally would prefer the employee to pull out that paper and go off that as far as components and as for recommending cigars, I hope he heard what you had to say and remember that conversation. Important thing is for him/her to actually smoke the different cigars and get an opinion himself. G1

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think helping the guy out was nice but tattling on the worker is over the top. If the owner doesn't know the expertise of his own employees then that's his own problem.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Gee whiz, if you care so much teach that kid some stuff instead of making a complaint to the bossman.
Or.....don't give a $hit at all about a hobby to which you are a member of but would rather let a Vendor or manager let his employees look like they don't give a $hit as well. As a manager I'd want to know what is going on in my business where I make a living but I guess some people would rather "look like" they give a $hit and just continue to let their business tank.

Good for you Ceegar....call the "Bossman" and let him know that the staff he has running his business barely knows how to unlock the door to sell something that feeds and clothes and houses his family. If I'm going to buy a car and talk with a salesperson and ask pertinent things about what Im interested and get an answer like this...."Well, I dunno but it has 4 wheels and an engine...takes a little gas to get it around and I think it has a radio...not sure." Does anybody here think that's ok as to how a business is to be run and if so.....next time I'm at your business.....make that a large fry with an apple pie.

Last edited: