What's new

B&M vs. Internet

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I'm about 80/20 online. I buy boxes and bulk online. I usually buy singles and doubles at b&m when something new comes out I want to try and usually leave with 5-10 cigars of different things I haven't tried or I don't want a box of. I almost always get lanceros at the b&m every time I go. I also go to the b&m more when it's cold out.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Delete your cbid account bruh, a lot of stuff there will fool you into thinking you're getting a good deal.
And, I was not pleased with their shipping or the condition of the cigars when they arrived. I think I but 80% B/M and 20% online.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A local B&M here is doing something that I think is pretty cool to bring is business. It's called a Palate Pairing. When it begins you get a cigar ( My Father), a Cuban dish, and a cocktail and the flavors of all three complement each other. While you enjoy the rep talks about the cigar, chef discusses the plate, and the bartender discusses the drink. After an hour you get a second cigar, plate, and drink. The night ended with a splash of single malt (Lagavulin). It was really well done and I look forward to the next one.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So I have a question for the brothers. What percentage of cigars and merchandise so you buy at B&M vs. online?

I personally am a fan of B&M stores for all things, not just cigars. I'm a supporter of small business in all forms. And I love to go in, look over cigars, and pick the ones I like. And a nice cigar lounge to relax in is always a good way to spend an hour or two.

That being said, the price differences are so extreme that I can't afford to purchase my cigars regularly through local shops. I still visit a couple of stores at least every other week. Whe I'm there I buy a couple cigars (one to smoke there), my butane, and a couple odds and ends. But if you look at my spending, I would say it's spread 20/80.

Sometimes I feel guilty, I mean I still spend money, but not nearly as much as I do online. My only justification is that here in Indianapolis, cigars are generally 150-200% more inside a B&M than when I find them on sale or CBid. Does anyone feel this way? What percentage do you spend in B&M vs. online?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I only buy boxes B&M when there's an event, otherwise B&M singles, other buys like 5's and boxes on Internet, also buy at Internet auction

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I lived in Hampton VA for a few years an had Emerson's as my B&M. That was really nice, I now order from them online.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Local shops are way to expensive, here in NY, the cigar taxes imposed on these shops make prices nearly double and in some cases more than that. Some cigars are 25-30% more in the local shop, some are much more. I'll give them the business when I want to try out a new smoke, i'll shop locally. I have in the past bought a box from the shop which was $100 more than online. I won't be doing that again, as I'm not Donald Trump..LOL.. Seriously, they're just to much money and I need to support my habit and family before worrying about someone elses...

Case in point, MC #2 White is like 16-17 bucks at shop for 1 stick. Just got a 5 pack for 37 online.. BIG difference.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I'm a B&M guy! I love hanging out with the guys at the shop as it's basically like Cheers for us. Yes, the prices and taxes are a bit steep but I'm there for the atmosphere and the social aspect. I know it's cheaper to buy online and that's where I do most of my bulk purchases but there's something to be said for a shop with a great owner and a great group of guys.

I also love to visit local B&Ms anytime I travel. I've met some amazing people doing that. I have quite a collection of cigars at home that I smoke but again, when I can, I'm at the B&M.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm a B&M guy prefer spending time at shop lounge with a group of guys compared to smoking alone, I will buy online from B&M shops not JR since the big guys own them... (And undercut B&M) but mostly very lucky in TN cigar tax is only 6.6% #supportlocal #smallbuisness

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a B&M guy! I love hanging out with the guys at the shop as it's basically like Cheers for us. Yes, the prices and taxes are a bit steep but I'm there for the atmosphere and the social aspect. I know it's cheaper to buy online and that's where I do most of my bulk purchases but there's something to be said for a shop with a great owner and a great group of guys.

I also love to visit local B&Ms anytime I travel. I've met some amazing people doing that. I have quite a collection of cigars at home that I smoke but again, when I can, I'm at the B&M.
...and this exactly is the name of the game...or what SHOULD be the name of the game...for B&Ms. They face tough competition from on-line sources, so their atmosphere and customer service MUST be superlative in order to overcome that. This doesn't happen locally here...one of our local B&Ms doesn't bother to keep the humidor stocked...the other that I've used has charged me outrageous prices slyly, and another has a great stock, but VERY cramped humidor, and if you don't buy enough sticks to satisfy the owner, he lets you know it, so for me, I just prefer to buy online. I frequently use the Three for the Price of Two fiver deals from Famous for my 'special' sticks, in other words, those which I save for a special time of relaxing. I used to make a point of buying those locally, but no more.

Of course, I live in 'Yuppieville SoCal', so this may affect the business practices of the shop owners...'Hey, if you don't buy here, it don't matter cuz there's plenty of iggerent fools in this town who will!'...I say to them, yeah, that philosophy will fly okay in the good times, but in the bad times, you're gonna sink like a stone.

Trust me in this.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...and this exactly is the name of the game...or what SHOULD be the name of the game...for B&Ms. They face tough competition from on-line sources, so their atmosphere and customer service MUST be superlative in order to overcome that. This doesn't happen locally here...one of our local B&Ms doesn't bother to keep the humidor stocked...the other that I've used has charged me outrageous prices slyly, and another has a great stock, but VERY cramped humidor, and if you don't buy enough sticks to satisfy the owner, he lets you know it, so for me, I just prefer to buy online. I frequently use the Three for the Price of Two fiver deals from Famous for my 'special' sticks, in other words, those which I save for a special time of relaxing. I used to make a point of buying those locally, but no more.

Of course, I live in 'Yuppieville SoCal', so this may affect the business practices of the shop owners...'Hey, if you don't buy here, it don't matter cuz there's plenty of iggerent fools in this town who will!'...I say to them, yeah, that philosophy will fly okay in the good times, but in the bad times, you're gonna sink like a stone.

Trust me in this.

One thing i'll say is the shop near me is super, all great guys that takes care of everyone regardless if 1 stick or 10 is bought. I have asked about them matching price and that wasn't happening, i'll still stop in to by sticks here or there, new ones, the higher end sticks are actually not much more money than online.. I think the #35 padron 26 is like 13 bucks at the shop? nearly the same as online.. doesn't make sense, but it is..

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I do +95% of my buying online.. I try to support the B&M's but they are so far away, and the markup is insane! I try picking up singles to try from there, but they generally cost twice as much as it would online + shipping.. Recently went for a Tobak Especial Toro Negro- $11!!! OUCH! bought a 5er for $19 online a few days later!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a box of smokes for $120 bucks on an auction. Normal online price is $180, B&M would be pushing $290 with taxes... Yeah, I'm not rockafella and only use the B&M to try new singles before buying a box. I'm getting over double the amount of cigars for the price...

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately for B&M there is this pesky thing called state taxes depending on where you live it can be bad NY, IL, CA for example NY has a 75% tax and in NYC a tax on top of that doesn't help with the price...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only buy at B&Ms when I have to.
1) Visiting friends/family and forgot to bring some of my own
2) Going out to a lounge with a girl who wants to smoke a cigar (and if I could smoke my own at the lounge, I would)

Most cigars in my area are about 2.5x more expensive at the B&M vs. online. However, there are a few sticks like AB American Sungrown and RP Edge Maduros which are maybe a dollar more for some reason. These I'll buy at a B&M.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy 99.4% of boxes online. I really enjoy going to my local cigar store and I buy singles that I want to try and accessories that are generally the same price as they would be online. Even though My local shop has great events and is a great place to hang out I just can't bring myself to buy boxes there. Years ago when I first start really getting into cigars I bought a bundle there and when I got home and there was a CI catalog in the mail that had a box of the same bundle I just purchased for $85.00 less with free shipping and a free lighter. I did buy a box of Perdomos there a while back only because the Perdomo rep was there and he was hosting an event and was taking I think 30-40% off and you could pick a very nice travel case or table top lighter as a freebie.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I would say I'm probably 95/5 online to B & M. The biggest reason for this is convenience, I don't have a good B & M within 20 -25 miles from my house. So most of my cigars are enjoyed at home, I would love to have a nice place to go smoke closer so that I could enjoy some A/C in the summer and interaction with other BOTL's but its just not available. I would say my 5% B & M is when I am in the office, I WFH 3-4 days a week, there are a couple nice places close to the office but I'm there so rarely I don't always get to go in after work. Plus its 40 miles from home.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I buy Fuente cigars from a local B&M. They are fairly priced and they get some that I look for. Everything else I buy online.
I am a believer in supporting my local B&M, they just don't carry some of the cigars that I enjoy or interest me. I have asked them a few times about Warped, Crowned Heads and Tatuaje and they just say they can't get them for whatever reason. Oh well, I just get them online.